Championship 21/22 (8 Viewers)

no_loyalty

2-0 Huddersfield

SAJ

Extending Allen Hyam and Godden is a waste of cash, same as Kelly, will be more deadwood we can’t shift that’ll prevent us from moving forwards.

Hamer and O’Hare fair enough, but sell one for £5m and we will still be too skint for a replacement plus the few more we need.

Whether because of the state of the game generally or because of our inability to get proper commercial income we can’t fund a competitive squad with this model. It’s not about never selling players, it’s about being able to pay 20 players of the right quality.
So how do you propose to raise the money then.

Sky Blue Harry H

Why did that Luton player not hit it on his right foot. Cut in huge amount of space, then drags it onto his left foot (presumably his strongest) and skies it. Shite.

Grendel

Harsh is polite. He doesn’t acknowledge the other 90% of teams who have the same model. Sometimes types before engaging

no they don’t but ok

Fergusons_Beard

we have no model - it’s a fallacy and we have to sell fast or we can’t sign anyone

Isn’t that almost every club in football-barring superrich?

So yes we have to sell to buy as we don’t have any money.

Even clubs like Colchester are posting 35 million pound losses.

If you listen to the excellent Price of Football podcast every single club is losing millions bar only a handful.

Just isn’t sustainable to keep spending.

So the only model is to sell players for revenue.

Whether we have a model or not we very clearly are using data metrics for recruitment (and have been for a while) which is a the cleverest way of getting money from the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Liquid Gold

If you listen to the excellent Price of Football podcast every single club is losing millions bar only a handful.

Whether we have a model or not we very clearly are using data metrics for recruitment (and have been for a while) which is a the cleverest way of getting money from the market.

The excellent price of football podcast made by the excellent Kieran McGuire who excellently got very basic things wrong when looking at our accounts.

Fergusons_Beard

The excellent price of football podcast made by the excellent Kieran McGuire who excellently got very basic things wrong when looking at our accounts.

Maybe he did LG but a it doesn’t take away the fact a loss is a loss whether you get basics wrong with accounts or not.

The news items weekly on that pod are an invaluable source of information on the recurring losses of football clubs of all sizes.

Rightly highlights when clubs like Accrington Stanley get it right and when similar clubs get it so wrong!

Grendel

Colchester aren’t I don’t think losing that a year it’s cumulative losses - McGuire I believe claims ours are £100
Million

skyblue1991

they don’t though? Do they?
0283e55d553ea71488f60d39bd1dba1c.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Sky Blue Harry H

Interesting that the vast majority of clubs are losing money every year.

If you follow that through...

People saying the only way to balance the books is to sell players....

but, the clubs you are selling the players to are 90% plus those that are losing money every year.

So, unless you can increase revenue elsewhere, then you need to cut costs (smaller squads, or reduced wages)?

The 'selling' players 'model' will not work for the majority of clubs, particularly in the EFL, unless you are in a one off position, that has a Brennon johnson. You cannot rely on that happening (as Bristol City have found out to their cost).

shmmeee

The key word was fast.

If every club loses money, why do we have to break even? Do you think every other club is about to go out of existence and the plan is well be the last ones standing?

Grendel

Interesting that the vast majority of clubs are losing money every year.

If you follow that through...

People saying the only way to balance the books is to sell players....

but, the clubs you are selling the players to are 90% plus those that are losing money every year.

So, unless you can increase revenue elsewhere, then you need to cut costs (smaller squads, or reduced wages)?

The 'selling' players 'model' will not work for the majority of clubs, particularly in the EFL, unless you are in a one off position, that has a Brennon johnson. You cannot rely on that happening (as Bristol City have found out to their cost).

You don’t actually have to balance the books though to even legitimately meet the EFL rules

Sky Blue Harry H

You don’t actually have to balance the books though to even legitimately meet the EFL rules

I get that, but - as you have referred to before - it's not a sustainable way of operating. Only a few owners (Coates family at Stoke for example) who have the ability to absorb such losses on a continuous basis.

Grendel

I get that, but - as you have referred to before - it's not a sustainable way of operating. Only a few owners (Coates family at Stoke for example) who have the ability to absorb such losses on a continuous basis.

Well you say that but not many clubs are actually going out of business anytime soon

There are some issues around FFP for some sure but it’s all degrees at this level

We are ourselves making losses and they will get worse in the league - lack of fixed assets, owner funding and capacity to attract investors are disadvantaging the club

Fans are supporting the club in numbers but other clubs with a far smaller fan base and revenue stream seem to be more competitive where it matters

Sky Blue Harry H

Well you say that but not many clubs are actually going out of business anytime soon

There are some issues around FFP for some sure but it’s all degrees at this level

We are ourselves making losses and they will get worse in the league - lack of fixed assets, owner funding and capacity to attract investors are disadvantaging the club

Fans are supporting the club in numbers but other clubs with a far smaller fan base and revenue stream seem to be more competitive where it matters

Don't disagree with a lot of what you say, but - rightly or wrongly - a few other clubs seem to be concerned about where they are in terms of finances in our division. I also think the reason certain clubs are slightly more competitive than us, with smaller crowds is a result of having played at this level for longer, so 'established; in terms of player recruitment, revenue streams will have been higher for longer. Our larger crowds have been for this season only in comparison to these clubs with smaller fan bases. I do agree that we are competing with one arm tied behind our back. and need some additional help. If i were MR, Boddy, whoever, I'd be trying to make a case to the owners based n them 'holding fire' on some of their 'fees' for a season or two, in return for potential extra reward, if MR is supported i.e. no sales (or limited to one, if the player is pushing for it, then upgrading the squad. The likes of Tahith Chong or similar ?

Last edited:

Colin Steins Smile

The latest accounts from Birmingham City show they spent £230 for every £100 of income......that's got to be unsustainable! They lost £30m from day to day trading, which the Bellingham sale reduced the loss to £4M, which is close to our loss for last year.
It'll be interesting how they will cope next season, as they've had reduced gates due to the ground safety issue and I can't remember them selling anyone for significant money.

Sky Blue Harry H

i dont know the details but listening to the radio last night, suggestions that Everton are deep in trouble if they go down

Think that Burnley loss at Norwich was a key result - think Everton will sneak out of it now. Would like them to come down though.

They probably have more than one player who earns more than the whole of our squad combined.

Grendel

Think that Burnley loss at Norwich was a key result - think Everton will sneak out of it now. Would like them to come down though.

They probably have more than one player who earns more than the whole of our squad combined.

They financially are in a mess and even suggestion EPL clubs may challenge if they aren’t punished for FFP dodges. I think they have some Russian ownership and the asset freezing of the commercial aspect deepens the crises

mark82

They financially are in a mess and even suggestion EPL clubs may challenge if they aren’t punished for FFP dodges. I think they have some Russian ownership and the asset freezing of the commercial aspect deepens the crises

Think it was "sponsorship" from Usmanov.

clint van damme

Think it was "sponsorship" from Usmanov.

They've also got no relegation clauses in the players contracts so they're wage bill won't decrease unless they off load players, which given the way they've performed this season won't be easy.

KenilworthSkyBlue

They've also got no relegation clauses in the players contracts so they're wage bill won't decrease unless they off load players, which given the way they've performed this season won't be easy.

Whilst that's true I think player sales should tie them over if they were to suffer relegation.

They'd likely get decent, albeit reduced, fees for Richarlison, Calvert-Lewin and maybe Pickford, which would likely cover them until the end of the season. Couple that with loaning out a few players and they'd be OK - especially with the added injection of parachute payments of £40ish million.

Skyblueweeman

Everton are screwed if they go down I reckon. Randomly, I have quite a few mates who are Everton fans down here and they're concerned about the new stadiums costs increasing. Haven't they spent something like £250m in the last 5 or so years on players? And their contribution to the new stadium is said to be something like £220m as well.

Nearly £0.5bn and they could be in the Championship.

Granted, a 'big' club with a lot of history but it doesn't look too great for them long term unless this new stadium helps to bring in a hell of a lot more money than they currently do.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Everton are screwed if they go down I reckon. Randomly, I have quite a few mates who are Everton fans down here and they're concerned about the new stadiums costs increasing. Haven't they spent something like £250m in the last 5 or so years on players? And their contribution to the new stadium is said to be something like £220m as well.

Nearly £0.5bn and they could be in the Championship.

Granted, a 'big' club with a lot of history but it doesn't look too great for them long term unless this new stadium helps to bring in a hell of a lot more money than they currently do.

I very much doubt they'll be screwed. Bournemouth spent around £200m on players over the same time period prior to their relegation and they've got nowhere near the commercial pull that Everton does.

Sky Blue Harry H

I very much doubt they'll be screwed. Bournemouth spent around £200m on players over the same time period prior to their relegation and they've got nowhere near the commercial pull that Everton does.

However they are not building a stadium that is costing a fortune, and the person who was funding it is under the Russian embargo umbrella, I believe. So, presumably, there will be fallout from that.

richnrg

However they are not building a stadium that is costing a fortune, and the person who was funding it is under the Russian embargo umbrella, I believe. So, presumably, there will be fallout from that.

Bournemouth also recouped a lot of money through player sales (Ake 40m+, Ramsdale 18M+, Wilson 20M, Danjuma 20M+, Mousset 10M, Mings 20M+ etc). Their owner has provided lots of funds, but is not a billionaire, nor an oligarch, and is a British citizen and is under no restrictions.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Everton are in talks with JP Morgan and Japanese bank MUFG as well as having conversations with other private investors.

Worst comes to worst though they will have to fund the project through equity while they're in the Championship.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Bournemouth also recouped a lot of money through player sales (Ake 40m+, Ramsdale 18M+, Wilson 20M, Danjuma 20M+, Mousset 10M, Mings 20M+ etc). Their owner has provided lots of funds, but is not a billionaire, nor an oligarch, and is a British citizen and is under no restrictions.

Do you honestly think Everton won't be able to raise similar amounts through players sales though? Pickford, Calvert-Lewin and Richarlison are likely worth £80-£100m between them.

There's others that they could move on for cut priced deals also.

Users who are viewing this thread