Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (19 Viewers)

RegTheDonk

Seems like Patrick was really encouraged by how we as a country are sticking to the rules in the lockdown and that they could already be starting to work! That was a seemingly optimistic update tonight and I think we could see a very low amount of deaths/cases compared to other countries, fingers crossed!
After the rucks emptying the shop shelves and the mass lets have a picnic or a fucking bbq in the entry, it's quite heartening. I see people out but generally they're keeping their distance, queueing correctly.

Like a few of our fans who want to cause trouble, they'll be a few nobs who may end up spoiling it for everyone else. I hope not as a total lock down will lead to a lot more depression, DV, social unrest etc.

Astute

If everyone had your attitude there wouldn’t even be a motor industry
So I am wrong for not wasting money?

France is a totally different place. Their number plates don't say how old or new the car is. They don't go into debt constantly to have a new car. Old cars hold their value as there isn't an over supply of used cars. The wife's car now has French plates. It is now worth about 5k in France. The same 1.8k I paid would only get you an old banger there.

So you think it is good that millions of people constantly struggle to buy new things that are mainly imported here? We have a strange mentality in the UK.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

If everyone had your view on life we may as well live in North Korea.

Why? What you're suggesting is the mindset of the TOWIE/Kardashian lot and the social media whores and influencers. Let's all have a society built around that - what a utopia it would be!

If some fame whore pays a fortune to get her lips plumped and boobs enhanced has she made herself 'better'? She thinks she has. Normal people just think she's vain and cares far too much about what others think of her.

Grendel

France is a totally different place. Their number plates don't say how old or new the car is. They don't go into debt constantly to have a new car. Old cars hold their value as there isn't an over supply of used cars. The wife's car now has French plates. It is now worth about 5k in France. The same 1.8k I paid would only get you an old banger there.

So you think it is good that millions of people constantly struggle to buy new things that are mainly imported here? We have a strange mentality in the UK.

Tbe uk and France registered pretty much the same number of new cars in 2019 - just because your wife is in France doesn’t make you dine kind of expert - soon you’ll be doing Macrons briefings for him

Grendel

Why? What you're suggesting is the mindset of the TOWIE/Kardashian lot and the social media whores and influencers. Let's all have a society built around that - what a utopia it would be!

If some fame whore pays a fortune to get her lips plumped and boobs enhanced has she made herself 'better'? She thinks she has. Normal people just think she's vain and cares far too much about what others think of her.

You’d be one of those who’d win £10 million on the lottery and stay in the same terraced house all your life

Astute

No but oddly some people aspire to better themselves in terms of status when they go up the ladder - either amount is hardly huge
Not huge to you maybe. But surprisingly enough it isn't about you.

We keep seeing about average wage. Most people are on much less than the average wage. Then how many that are lucky to be in a decent wage suddenly think they are middle class si think they have to spend like they are.

Work to live is much better than live to work.

A fair few at work have over the years taken the piss out if me driving older cars. They say about their cars. But most don't belong to them. They rent them. Costs at least as much to rent a new car for a year as much as I pay for mine. But they don't take the piss now. I am retiring at 55. I spend a quarter of my time in France. They can't afford to retire because of debt. But people like yourself make out debt is good. We should use debt to keep motor manufacturers very profitable.

Astute

Never liked the term 'better' themselves in terms of spending money to keep up with the Jones or trying to make other people as vacuous as themselves envious.

For me 'bettering' yourself is via learning, reading etc or contributing back more to society. Not buying a new car or kitchen to show off
Well said.

Seen too many people do so then have everything come crashing down when they lose their income. Through loss of health is the worse.

Grendel

Not huge to you maybe. But surprisingly enough it isn't about you.

We keep seeing about average wage. Most people are on much less than the average wage. Then how many that are lucky to be in a decent wage suddenly think they are middle class si think they have to spend like they are.

Work to live is much better than live to work.

A fair few at work have over the years taken the piss out if me driving older cars. They say about their cars. But most don't belong to them. They rent them. Costs at least as much to rent a new car for a year as much as I pay for mine. But they don't take the piss now. I am retiring at 55. I spend a quarter of my time in France. They can't afford to retire because of debt. But people like yourself make out debt is good. We should use debt to keep motor manufacturers very profitable.

I think the whole universe knows your family lines in France

Is there no personal debt in France? A debt free utopia wow

Grendel

What you should ask is have you ever over extended yourself on a mortgage?

Not really - do you live in a mud hut or something? Your becoming.a poor mans Billy Bragg (very ooor mans as he’s very rich)

Astute

Tbe uk and France registered pretty much the same number of new cars in 2019 - just because your wife is in France doesn’t make you dine kind of expert - soon you’ll be doing Macrons briefings for him
We sold more in the UK last year. But that still isn't the full story.

Our sales have been going down. Last year was the best year since 2010 in France.

Astute

I think the whole universe knows your family lines in France

Is there no personal debt in France? A debt free utopia wow
Amount owed is less in France. But point out where I compared it in the slightest.

Making up bullshit yet again I see.

Astute

Not really - do you live in a mud hut or something? Your becoming.a poor mans Billy Bragg (very ooor mans as he’s very rich)
I live in a decent house. Why do I need the best house just to make you happy?

Am mortgage free. Should I take out a 250k mortgage to get the best house in the whole area? Nothing to prove to anyone. Happy where I live. Material things mean nothing to me. Wouldn't want to be surrounded by people like yourself who make out they are better than everyone else.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

You’d be one of those who’d win £10 million on the lottery and stay in the same terraced house all your life

As I said above in a money no object world I'd love to design my own house. I'd buy a new(er) car but not some flash sports thing. Take a few more holidays. But I'd mostly enjoy spending it on my family, letting them do things they'd always wanted to as treats.

ccfc1234

I'll give you a clue - they're not telling the truth.
I have no doubt that China are hugely down playing their numbers, but by a factor of what? Is their media blackout, in by far and away the most global cosmopolitan city in China able to suppress 1000s of deaths? Not to mention the many more thousands of cases that would be going on as well.

clint van damme

I have no doubt that China are hugely down playing their numbers, but by a factor of what? Is their media blackout, in by far and away the most global cosmopolitan city in China able to suppress 1000s of deaths? Not to mention the many more thousands of cases that would be going on as well.

People in Wuhan think there were nearly 50,000 deaths in that city alone

skybluetony176

That’s before you even mention that a used car is a green car as the carbon footprint is a fraction of that of a new car. If everyone purchased only new cars CO2 emissions from the manufacturing process would see colossal increases, 25% of all scrapped cars go to landfill so if every used car was scrapped instead of being passed on that would be horrendously wasteful. You keep doing what you’re doing and bettering the environment in the process. Much more important than massaging your ego under the guise that you’re bettering yourself.

Last edited:

Grendel

We sold more in the UK last year. But that still isn't the full story.

Our sales have been going down. Last year was the best year since 2010 in France.

So people are buying new cars - what with? Cash?

Grendel

I live in a decent house. Why do I need the best house just to make you happy?

Am mortgage free. Should I take out a 250k mortgage to get the best house in the whole area? Nothing to prove to anyone. Happy where I live. Material things mean nothing to me. Wouldn't want to be surrounded by people like yourself who make out they are better than everyone else.

It’s you who keeps bragging about retirement and an idyllic life in France not me

Grendel

Good. It amazes me how comfortable people are with the old bill conferring powers on themselves.

I know. Shameful and typical - let’s fine two people in the Peak District to justify our existence - someone rang in on a phone in and said they were walking their dog and some bloke was breaking into cars in front of them. She said if she’d called 999 and said there was a car burglar running rampage they’d say they were told busy but if she’d said they were on their second exercise of the day a full patrol would be on the scene in two seconds

David O'Day

I know. Shameful and typical - let’s fine two people in the Peak District to justify our existence - someone rang in on a phone in and said they were walking their dog and some bloke was breaking into cars in front of them. She said if she’d called 999 and said there was a car burglar running rampage they’d say they were told busy but if she’d said they were on their second exercise of the day a full patrol would be on the scene in two seconds
Worst bit is they to gave forgotten they can only police the law and verbal guidance is not the law. They can only stick to the bill as passed on Thursday

Johhny Blue

We bought this as an investment. Bought it cheap as it needed a lot of work. We will be downsizing next year probably. We've got a considerable amount of equity in this as the house we had before we bought as a repo,done it up and sold it for a big profit. Fingers crossed when we sell we'll be mortgage free. Dont wanna sound like a snob as I really am not but having a detached place at the moment theres no way I'd go back to a semi. With what's going on at the moment is a wake up call as well. I wanna be mortgage free and lose that big expense each month.
You could probably "better yourself" by not using words like "Wanna"

Users who are viewing this thread