Cashless Society (2 Viewers)

jimmyhillsfanclub

I was in an Irish bar a couple weeks ago which refuses to accept cash payment.

Their till/payment system went down which meant we walked off with a free round of drinks & after about 20 mins of arguments, they had to close the bar for the night & turf everybody out.

Serves the cunts right for not taking cash.

Nick

Administrator
1000042773.png

1000042777.png

Again, start seeing stuff like this ramping up over social media. Everybody posting things about paying cash because of charges.

Do people not realise that banks charge you to pay cash in for businesses?

I saw one saying "our card charges cost more than a day's wage for one of our staff".

You can get card processing under 2% now, let's say the staff member gets 85 a day. That's around £4.5k in card payments that week.....

You try and take £4.5k in cash a week to the bank and you are paying a fee to pay it in as well as having to make a trip to the bank. That's as well as counting it. Balancing the till etc etc, having it in the safe.

Last edited:

PVA

There does seem to be a bit of a culture war about this at the moment, I've seen it ramping up on social media too.

I never withdraw cash. The only time I have cash on me is if I pay a restaurant bill on card or something and someone pays me their share in cash.

Probably a generational thing though. My old man always has cash on him and finds it crazy that I don't.

shmmeee

It’s a culture war thing. WEF conspiracy nonsense about how the government can steal your money if it’s digital.

ccfctommy

I still like to have money on me, but finding cash points now that don't charge you is an issue in itself!

wingy

Yep it's a thing and I'm alright with it staying cash ,used at the local Chinese and pub recently, let the economists earn their money!!

ovduk78

View attachment 34905

View attachment 34906

Again, start seeing stuff like this ramping up over social media. Everybody posting things about paying cash because of charges.

I saw one saying "our card charges cost more than a day's wage for one of our staff".

You can get card processing under 2% now, let's say the staff member gets 85 a day. That's around £4.5k in card payments that week.....

You try and take £4.5k in cash a week to the bank and you are paying a fee to pay it in as well as having to make a trip to the bank. That's as well as counting it. Balancing the till etc etc, having it in the safe.
I don't know if it is still the case but the charges vary between credit & debit cards. When we had our B&B debit card charges were 25p per transaction and credit card were around 2%. Bigger companies will negotiate this rate down.

Nick

Administrator
I don't know if it is still the case but the charges vary between credit & debit cards. When we had our B&B debit card charges were 25p per transaction and credit card were around 2%. Bigger companies will negotiate this rate down.
Credit card is a bit higher but then if somebody is withdrawing cash from a credit card they are going to get charged for that too.

Nick

Administrator
Yep it's a thing and I'm alright with it staying cash ,used at the local Chinese and pub recently, let the economists earn their money!!

But money will still be going to the banks from them anyway?

Nick

Administrator
Will maybe the fee's for using it are too much?
Maybe they're putting it somewhere where safer than banks?

Are they really that much? They will have fees when they pay it into the bank. Then when they pay suppliers there will be fees etc. suppliers aren't going to be taking cash.

Giving a pub a £20 isn't like they say on social media where it stays £20 forever.

wingy

Are they really that much? They will have fees when they pay it into the bank. Then when they pay suppliers there will be fees etc. suppliers aren't going to be taking cash.

Giving a pub a £20 isn't like they say on social media where it stays £20 forever.
Oh forgot Rose+Crown were down last week as well!!

fernandopartridge

It’s a culture war thing. WEF conspiracy nonsense about how the government can steal your money if it’s digital.
I try to tell people that most money already is digital, it literally exists as balances on computer systems. Coins and notes represent very little of it comparatively.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
I try to tell people that most money already is digital, it literally exists as balances on computer systems. Coins and notes represent very little of it comparatively.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Exactly.

The whole "if you pay with a 20 then it keeps getting passed on, fuck the banks" is nonsense.

RedSalmon

Had noticed that car parks were going away from taking any sort of cash and making it card only. Was over at Touchwood today and they had taken it a step further, had to pay to park the car on line.
Is it possible to just get a card and put money on it to use as needed?

nicksar

I got paid for something by Cheque earlier this week (first time I've seen a Cheque for a long time), Checked my Banking App and much to my surprise I was able to pay the Cheque in on my smartphone...the App uses your camera to take a photo and job done,it was a bit fiddly tbh but the money was cleared into my balance in 24 hours.

Sick Boy

View attachment 34905

View attachment 34906

The ‘Karen’ post is probably one of the conspiracy theorists on here.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Had noticed that car parks were going away from taking any sort of cash and making it card only. Was over at Touchwood today and they had taken it a step further, had to pay to park the car on line.
Is it possible to just get a card and put money on it to use as needed?
Not just that a lot now want you to pay via app. Scan a QR code etc. It's a right pain in the arse as no two car parks seem to be the same app

Liquid Gold

What do people who hoard cash do when the notes get changed? They have to pay the fees anyway to bank it.

Just some lead infused culture warriors deciding to be all neo-luddite

Liquid Gold

Not just that a lot now want you to pay via app. Scan a QR code etc. It's a right pain in the arse as no two car parks seem to be the same app
Yeah that one is annoying, must have nearly 10 apps on my phone for them all.

Pain in the ass to set up a car or if you're paying for a friend or family's car. Although useful for remembering old reg numbers I guess.

ccfctommy

Their till/payment system went down which meant we walked off with a free round of drinks & after about 20 mins of arguments, they had to close the bar for the night & turf everybody out.

Haha

wingy

Post Office vibes!!

andrew.roberts

In the metro before the play off final last year I noticed that even some the buskers had card machines.
"Sorry mate, no change".
"Oh that's okay, I have a contactless payment facility".
Something about it didn't seem right.

• Wow
Reactions: vow

chiefdave

In the metro before the play off final last year I noticed that even some the buskers had card machines.
"Sorry mate, no change".
"Oh that's okay, I have a contactless payment facility".
Something about it didn't seem right.
The bootleg merch sellers outside gigs have card machines now

Robinshio

technically they can - anything over £85k - if you dont believe this, read about what the Government did in cyprus

fernandopartridge

technically they can - anything over £85k - if you dont believe this, read about what the Government did in cyprus

Isn't £85k the maximum amount of money the government guarantees if your bank goes bust.

£85k is still a lot more than £0k you will get if your house burned down with all your cash stored in it.

Liquid Gold

That's per bank too.

You could have £85k in as many banks as you like.

Also if you have that sort of money knocking about and it isn't invested smartly I don't really have any sympathy.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

That's not the government stealing your money, it's the banks losing it due to piss poor and reckless management.

Users who are viewing this thread