Cashless Society (1 Viewer)

Flying Fokker

Our local chippy proudly stated they would be starting taking card payments, a week in notice to be cash only as their card reader wasn't working
Card only introduced during Covid at. Two Chippy’s near me. Good service and loyal customers. Add Chinese takeaways to the list of cash only.

clint van damme

When smoking was banned you really notice it more when someone nearby is smoking or smells of it, same thing now with coins. Absolutely stink, glad I no longer carry round a wallet filled with tramp DNA and germs (bar my own)

Never thought about that, for all I know that 50 pence piece I'm holding might not long ago have been in saddlebrains communal wanking hand.

Sick Boy

Cash is for dodgy fuckers and old people at this point let’s be honest. We’ve had this convo before. The only time I touch cash is birthday presents for kids or buying drugs.

I get some people find it easier to budget with cash, but it seems like a silly reason to keep an entire physical infrastructure.

Would like to see banking opened up a bit though and peer to peer payments. And some kind of decentralised currency because I do think there’s value in money a particular government or institution can’t control. But cash ain’t that really either.
Cash is very much king in Italy...i'd say over 50% of the time the card machine is 'broken' and they 'forget' to give a receipt.

hamertime

I keep seeing posts getting more recent about paying small businesses with cash so they don't have to pay card charges etc.

It was a few years ago when I had a business account but paying cash in, they took a % also and it also meant I had to go to the bank, park, stand in the queue etc.

Card charges are pretty minimal nowadays compared to what they used to be.

It's just hassle to go to the cash point and get cash nowadays when you can just tap a phone and it's paid.
I don’t think it’s just the card charges they are hoping to avoid….

wingy

All I know it's a nightmare for me, and what's this about needing facial recognition about when it doesn't even recognise me.

hamertime

To be honest it’s more of a pain in the arse now when someone actually wants cash. Once the younger generation come through I can see it being done away with.

ccfctommy

Some bloke paid for a pint on his card today. Didn't go through, tried again and again and he had to put his pin in the machine.

Took fucking ages to get served ffs

Saddlebrains

Some bloke paid for a pint on his card today. Didn't go through, tried again and again and he had to put his pin in the machine.

Took fucking ages to get served ffs

Should just press cancel when the cashiers backs turned and walk off and get a free beer

Not that I've ever done, or are advocating that

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Cash is very much king in Italy...i'd say over 50% of the time the card machine is 'broken' and they 'forget' to give a receipt.

Had the experience in Sicily. Eventually if you just look at them long enough the card machine will magically fix itself and they'll take the payment rather than losing the trade.

Can't imagine for one minute why I hated the place. Not a bunch of sketchy pricks everywhere at all.

Brighton Sky Blue

Or as I found in Rome, your card mysteriously gets stuck in the ATM, but open enough for someone to take it. To be fair to our host, he was able to sort it.

Mostly so that we could withdraw a few hundred Euro to give him cash for our stay.

Sick Boy

Or as I found in Rome, your card mysteriously gets stuck in the ATM, but open enough for someone to take it. To be fair to our host, he was able to sort it.

Mostly so that we could withdraw a few hundred Euro to give him cash for our stay.
Are they those yellow ones? I think they're private ones - there's a certain knack of getting the card out. The only time it's ever happened to me was at a normal cash machine years ago- I just punched the screen and it came back out.

Sick Boy

Had the experience in Sicily. Eventually if you just look at them long enough the card machine will magically fix itself and they'll take the payment rather than losing the trade.

Can't imagine for one minute why I hated the place. Not a bunch of sketchy pricks everywhere at all.
I lived in the depths of western Sicily for a while about 10 years ago - it's definitely got an edge to it in places. Once they see you a couple of times and you're paying cash you get a different price but that goes on across the country as a whole. You're more likely to get someone trying to rip you off in the north.

Otis

Cash is for dodgy fuckers and old people at this point let’s be honest. We’ve had this convo before. The only time I touch cash is birthday presents for kids or buying drugs.

I get some people find it easier to budget with cash, but it seems like a silly reason to keep an entire physical infrastructure.

Would like to see banking opened up a bit though and peer to peer payments. And some kind of decentralised currency because I do think there’s value in money a particular government or institution can’t control. But cash ain’t that really either.
Loads of places down here that are cash only and there are large queues at the supermarket self serves, that are cash and card (people actually say to the assistant, they are waiting to pay with cash) The card only tills, well, they are pretty much all available. And these are not old people queuing. It's well dodgy. Cash is king .

Saw two girls the other day, no more than around 16, buying some pens and pencils from Wilko and paying with a £50 note.

Kent is f*cked.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Cash for me age thing .Find it strange that in supermarkets line of tills for cash or card but cash ones take card.Hence a queue for cash ones in Bedworth at least(older demagraphics). Why not make all machinces fit for both?Might be cost but people don't like queuing these days will go elsewhere custom lost

shmmeee

My favourite is still neither: the Amazon shops in London where you can just walk out with stuff cos it’s tracking you. Lovely.

oakey

I Screenshot_20230825-131826_WhatsApp.jpg think the dismissal, "and old people" is very concerning. Older people who find many aspects of modern technology difficult have the right to proper consideration. Many older people get their younger relatives to help them with technology which leaves them pretty vulnerable to abuse, coercive control and isolation. Much greater care of these people is required if we are an open, inclusive and compassionate society.

Grendel

I View attachment 31656think the dismissal, "and old people" is very concerning. Older people who find many aspects of modern technology difficult have the right to proper consideration. Many older people get their younger relatives to help them with technology which leaves them pretty vulnerable to abuse, coercive control and isolation. Much greater care of these people is required if we are an open, inclusive and compassionate society.

Yes a lot of people have supported as an example car park apps and that most people who don’t have a smart phone should just get one and learn as they are old

I think the percentage is around 15% - imagine if it was a situation entirely impacting a specific race or gender to that magnitude.

Age discrimination is far more acceptable

Nick

Administrator
For businesses transaction charges are unnecessary expense when a widely accessible free alterations is available

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
If it's b2b then bank transfer?

If it's consumer then there are cash deposit fees anyway when paying it in.

Nick

Administrator
My favourite is still neither: the Amazon shops in London where you can just walk out with stuff cos it’s tracking you. Lovely.
Decathlon still baffles me with their checkout. Just put stuff in the box and it scans it.

Sick Boy

The reason why I think it’s so widespread here is that a lot of companies ‘make up’ workers’ salaries ‘in black’.

I think they even removed a rule recently trying to force businesses to accept card payments too.

Users who are viewing this thread