Transfer Rumour #CARLBAKERDAY (2 Viewers)

steve82

Thomas isn't a winger and, as shmmeee says, Reid is likely to leave so I have assumed that in my statement.

At a guess I'd say Thomas has played over 75% of his games wide on the right hand side of midfield. Enough to call him a winger I would say.

I'd say more of a inside forward these days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chiefdave

Looks like he's been taking his coaches badges. Wouldn't say no to having him here as a player / coach. Might take a lower wage if it offers him a path into a coaching role.

shy_tall_knight

There are certain players you never realised how good they were until you compare them against their replacement - Regis was replaced by Paul Furlong who spent his only season chasing his first touch and having watched JOB I realised how good Baker was.

Adge

There are certain players you never realised how good they were until you compare them against their replacement - Regis was replaced by Paul Furlong who spent his only season chasing his first touch and having watched JOB I realised how good Baker was.
Robbie Keane-Craig Bellamy.

ovduk78

Robbie Keane-Craig Bellamy.
Adam Armstrong - Andre Wright
Great, Coventry City Top Trumps!
My offering is Chris Marden/ Sandy Robertson

AJB1983

I would suggest money might be a problem If he is having to factor in a saving in petrol

My point is any pay cut would likely be equivalent to the no doubt hundreds of pounds spent in commuting to Portsmouth (and Train tickets to MK when he was there).
Being close to family trumps that every time I would suggest, especially with a little one on the way.

Rich

My point is any pay cut would likely be equivalent to the no doubt hundreds of pounds spent in commuting to Portsmouth (and Train tickets to MK when he was there).
Being close to family trumps that every time I would suggest, especially with a little one on the way.
To be fair if he's driving down there every day you're looking around £250 per week in fuel alone. Plus the time away from family. It's definitely worth taking into consideration.

SkyBlueCRJ

To be fair if he's driving down there every day you're looking around £250 per week in fuel alone. Plus the time away from family. It's definitely worth taking into consideration.

He's also coming to the end of his career. Does he really have a leg to stand on when asking for a high wage?

chiefdave

He seems someone who would take spending more time at home into consideration. What options have Pompey got, would Baker be their first choice?

ccfcway

of course, that's assuming that he didn't have petrol expenses written into his contract, which wouldn't be uncommon

Sky Blue Harry H

Tommy Hutchison - Leigh Jenkinson (to be fair I rated both very highly and there wasn't much between them):rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

shmmeee

I'd say more of a inside forward these days

Agree with this, the wide men in the front 3/4 in a 4231 aren't really wingers as such. You can accommodate almost any type of attacking forward player in those three spots behind the front man.

stevefloyd

The thing about Furlong he had just moved from Enfield and that great manager Butcher deemed Regis surplus to requirements when Furlong would
have benefited playing alongside Regis at least for 1 season...great move Terry !!!!

SkyBlueCRJ

But not quite as much as the "big payers" in the conference according to Mr Marsh..... apparently!

Funnily enough his actually quote crossed my mind as I was typing. Would be interesting to see what some of the higher earners in the Conference are on. My guess it's nothing over 2/3 grand p/w. It's doubtful any club in non-league can sustain a player on a higher wage than this

steve82

Funnily enough his actually quote crossed my mind as I was typing. Would be interesting to see what some of the higher earners in the Conference are on. My guess it's nothing over 2/3 grand p/w. It's doubtful any club in non-league can sustain a player on a higher wage than this

The only clubs I'd speculate that are or could would of been Forest Green as they reportedly made big losses year after year to achieve promotion and Tranmere or Dagenham who may still have a few better payed players from there time in league two.

Lincoln too as they had a new owner and recruited a few last summer

SkyBlueCRJ

The only clubs I'd speculate that are or could would of been Forest Green as they reportedly made big losses year after year to achieve promotion and Tranmere or Dagenham who may still have a few better payed players from there time in league two.

Lincoln too as they had a new owner and recruited a few last summer

Dagenham no chance. I remember reading a piece by Barry Fry a few years back. He was discussing how teams in the lower leagues are being forced to assert themselves as "player selling clubs" in order to remain sustainable. Think he mentioned Dagenham's wage structure as being effectively next to nothing. Plus their fans always seemed to consider staying in League Two as a success. Which suggests that they know they physically can't compete with the bigger teams in the league.

Think Tranmere are in the same boat. Continuously had mass squad changes as a result of dropping from League One into the Conference within the space of 2 seasons. Forest Green would be the most likely of the 3 as I've heard their moneybags owner is highly ambitious and isn't afraid to spend.

SkyBlueCRJ

that's good then ?, we are paying the norm for league two promotion challengers ?

Never said we weren't. I'm discussing what wage Baker would be offered if he was bought in. It's been pointed out that Baker is on high wages. So, if that was above/equated to 1,500 p/w at Portsmouth then he'll have to take a reduction in his contract. If he signed, his wage would largely involve bonus type incentives rather than a typical League Two promotion challenging wage with inclusive basic playing bonuses on top. This is due to his age and because of the players already signed that we can only assume would start ahead of him. It would be illogical to give him a contract that aligns with the norm for League Two promotion challengers because it's likely he would only be used as a squad player.

Last edited by a moderator:

steve82

Dagenham no chance. I remember reading a piece by Barry Fry a few years back. He was discussing how teams in the lower leagues are being forced to assert themselves as "player selling clubs" in order to remain sustainable. Think he mentioned Dagenham's wage structure as being effectively next to nothing. Plus their fans always seemed to consider staying in League Two as a success. Which suggests that they know they physically can't compete with the bigger teams in the league.

Think Tranmere are in the same boat. Continuously had mass squad changes as a result of dropping from League One into the Conference within the space of 2 seasons. Forest Green would be the most likely of the 3 as I've heard their moneybags owner is highly ambitious and isn't afraid to spend.

Could be right about Dagenham as last year there home attendance averaged 1300, with nearly 32,000 through the gates in a league season. It's not sustainable, unless bankrolled and that's less likely.

Lincoln and Tranmere averaged 5000 tho and we no Forest Greens situation.... they only averaged 1750 with just over 40,000 punters and had heavy losses.

It can only be Forest Green really.

ccfcway

If he signed, his wage would largely involve bonus type incentives rather than a typical League Two promotion challenging wage with inclusive basic playing bonuses on top. This is due to his age and because of the players already signed that we can only assume would start ahead of him.

Don't get this. He played 45 games last season for a team who won promotion. Why would he then join us on a reduced wage to be considered nothing more than a squad player ?

Users who are viewing this thread