#CarlBakerDay (1 Viewer)

Covkid1968#

We moan about player loyalty and wonder why they arent more loyal.....one player who has shown loyalty is CB. Yet he is given little if any support on here. What an odd bunch football fans are #hypocites

Otis

For what it's worth, I liked Baker and thought he was a good player for us.

Slightly sad that's he's going, but at the same time realise that we can't afford to keep him if he's our top earner. That's the football world we now find ourselves in unfortunately.

stupot07

We moan about player loyalty and wonder why they arent more loyal.....one player who has shown loyalty is CB. Yet he is given little if any support on here. What an odd bunch football fans are #hypocites

in what way has he shown loyalty?

Covkid1968#

in what way has he shown loyalty?

Talks up the club at every opportunity, has spoken out about the situation and clearly cares about the club, goes out of his way for local Coventry causes. There ae many definitions of loyalty but this one fits my point well

the quality or state of being loyal. : a loyal feeling : a feeling of strong support for someone or something

Grendel

Talks up the club at every opportunity, has spoken out about the situation and clearly cares about the club, goes out of his way for local Coventry causes. There ae many definitions of loyalty but this one fits my point well

the quality or state of being loyal. : a loyal feeling : a feeling of strong support for someone or something

Would he have turned down an offer from another club if he got paid more money?

He grossly underachieved in the championship. Fans jeered him and on here he received fearsome abuse. Yet the club gave him a new contract when most fans thought he was shit. So I think the club have shown immense loyalty already haven't they?

Grendel

What does that say about our squad.
He holds our highest assists from midfield two years on the bounce. As a creative midfielder not sure what else he can do.

Wouldn't be the first person I would be chasing out of the club with pitch forks when we only have home for one more season. A season in which our squad is again threadbare and one in which we apparently want promotion.

How many assists has he made in 2014?

Steve.B50

My view is that he has done ok for us, yes not the best player but always gave 100%. He was our team captain and that was given to him as he must have been a reasonable player and had some leadership qualities.
He scored goals, he was reliable, he was honest, loyal and made it clear he liked being at Coventry.
Yes by all means let him go but not the way this has been done, it just shows a lack of respect for a senior player.
The only thing that never changes is us the supporters and we have been given no respect either.

Nick

Administrator
I agree there are ways to do things aren't there but do we really know what has gone on behind closed doors? Did Baker really find out he had no quad number like the rest of us or would SP have told him?

skybluepm2

Baker is good bloke who deserves better... But to SISU he's just a bunch of numbers and the total was a little high. Assuming that is, that SP didn't decide he just didn't fancy him any more. I mean, you'd hardly describe him as a winner would you?

Funny how the shit treatment coincided with their obliteration in the JR..just my opinion on the matter. He may well have had a squad number if SISU had been victorious!

Steve.B50

No idea Nick but still not the way to treat our Captain and a professional player.
If he is on the money that's being quoted and not wanted then why not just say that.
Or play him and let him sell himself, if I were him I would just keep fit, stay out of trouble and take the money till his contact ends.

Last edited:

dongonzalos

Would he have turned down an offer from another club if he got paid more money?

He grossly underachieved in the championship. Fans jeered him and on here he received fearsome abuse. Yet the club gave him a new contract when most fans thought he was shit. So I think the club have shown immense loyalty already haven't they?

Would you?
Please answer truthfully
JLR say sorry Grendel we have to pay you for the next year a wage we are tied into that we agreed to give you.
You are our best performing person in your position.
However how about you find yourself another job on less money for the next year.....

wingy

Like I said ,there Is something a little odd over this one ..Last year with the bomb squad everything was up front out In the open ,we were In Embargo and they recieved Inducements as well as tough love to leave .

I have a feeling whatever was paid out to the others didn't get counted Into FFP due to the Admin /Embargo ,this time It's likely they will .JMO

stupot07

Surely bigging the club in public is one of the jobs of being the club captain? And as far as I'm aware all the cov players do quite a bit for local causes and charities?

If he moved clubs tomorrow, he'd be biggin' them up in public and doing stuff for their local causes.

I don't see that as loyalty, just part of the job of being a professional footballer.

Covkid1968#

My view is that he has done ok for us, yes not the best player but always gave 100%. He was our team captain and that was given to him as he must have been a reasonable player and had some leadership qualities.
He scored goals, he was reliable, he was honest, loyal and made it clear he liked being at Coventry.
Yes by all means let him go but not the way this has been done, it just shows a lack of respect for a senior player.
The only thing that never changes is us the supporters and we have been given no respect either.

Spot on about CB Steve

And spot on about the fans too....SISU have lacked respect because they have believed they have held all the cards and its been a one sided fight. But as they say in Spain.....Sometimes the Bull, he wins !!!

shmmeee

Surely bigging the club in public is one of the jobs of being the club captain? And as far as I'm aware all the cov players do quite a bit for local causes and charities?

If he moved clubs tomorrow, he'd be biggin' them up in public and doing stuff for their local causes.

I don't see that as loyalty, just part of the job of being a professional footballer.

C'mon Baker has obviously done more community stuff than most and engaged more than most, regardless of his ability I don't think you can argue that he hasn't gone above and beyond. And he did all that before he was captain as well.

Let's not let a desperation to keep views on his footballing impact in perspective take away from that.

Nick

Administrator
No, I don't think you can take any community work away from any player that they do off their own backs whether they are Messi or Kevin Kyle!

Covkid1968#

No, I don't think you can take any community work away from any player that they do off their own backs whether they are Messi or Kevin Kyle!

Messi and Kevin Kyle in the same sentence......I salute you sir:claping hands:

stupot07

C'mon Baker has obviously done more community stuff than most and engaged more than most, regardless of his ability I don't think you can argue that he hasn't gone above and beyond. And he did all that before he was captain as well.

Let's not let a desperation to keep views on his footballing impact in perspective take away from that.

To be honest, I'm not on FB and don't take much notice of most of that stuff so although I know he does a bit of charity work, I don't particularly know how far he's gone above and beyond.

Knowing about his brothers, I imagine he is keen on charity and local causes per se, and would do that anywhere rather than a particular love of ccfc.

Personally I don't see that as showing loyalty to the club, although it is commendable.

Grendel

To be honest, I'm not on FB and don't take much notice of most of that stuff so although I know he does a bit of charity work, I don't particularly know how far he's gone above and beyond.

Knowing about his brothers, I imagine he is keen on charity and local causes per se, and would do that anywhere rather than a particular love of ccfc.

Personally I don't see that as showing loyalty to the club, although it is commendable.

Perhaps this is fan loyalty
http://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/10304-Carl-Baker/page4?highlight=baker

Grendel

dongonzalos

Would you?
Please answer truthfully
JLR say sorry Grendel we have to pay you for the next year a wage we are tied into that we agreed to give you.
You are our best performing person in your position.
However how about you find yourself another job on less money for the next year.....

Twice I have asked this same question without answer Grendel.
Would you stay and fight for your place or go?

RoboCCFC90

I got involved in #CarlBakerDay, yes people have the "love or loathe him" stance but he has been a great captain..

gu5u6eha.jpg

covmark

I got involved in #CarlBakerDay, yes people have the "love or loathe him" stance but he has been a great captain..

gu5u6eha.jpg
Sad sack ;)
Thing is people bang on about how we are a mediocre league 1 team, yet are then up in arms that we're losing an overpaid mediocre player. Admittedly if he found out he wasn't wanted by not receiving a squad number, it's pretty shabby.

RoboCCFC90

Sad sack ;)
Thing is people bang on about how we are a mediocre league 1 team, yet are then up in arms that we're losing an overpaid mediocre player. Admittedly if he found out he wasn't wanted by not receiving a squad number, it's pretty shabby.

I think the way this could have been dealt with - as I was saying to CJ last night - should have been a lot better, obviously we don't know what has happened by close doors, a lot of people have speculated that it's because of Carl Baker's social media use as to why he is being given the boot, but I can't see it being that.

Baker has scored 25 goals in two seasons and assisted in 15 occasions, contributing to 40 goals in total, in comparison over the two seasons he was with us Franck Moussa contributed to 28 goals (20 goals and 8 assists) so it can't be for the lack of desire that Baker has shown to of been forced out in this manner.

If I was Pressley I would keep Baker in the fold, the same with Adam Barton - although I think he'll be gone shortly and he is more inconsistent - because we are going to need strength in depth and currently we have it bar the places up top.

Grendel

Twice I have asked this same question without answer Grendel.
Would you stay and fight for your place or go?

The minute he is offered more money he is off.

If we are still paying him more the sky blue blood remains the thickest.

There is nothing else to answer.

stupot07

I think the way this could have been dealt with - as I was saying to CJ last night - should have been a lot better, obviously we don't know what has happened by close doors, a lot of people have speculated that it's because of Carl Baker's social media use as to why he is being given the boot, but I can't see it being that.

Baker has scored 25 goals in two seasons and assisted in 15 occasions, contributing to 40 goals in total, in comparison over the two seasons he was with us Franck Moussa contributed to 28 goals (20 goals and 8 assists) so it can't be for the lack of desire that Baker has shown to of been forced out in this manner.

If I was Pressley I would keep Baker in the fold, the same with Adam Barton - although I think he'll be gone shortly and he is more inconsistent - because we are going to need strength in depth and currently we have it bar the places up top.

Problem is we (well actually the majority of club) can't afford to waste big wages on a player that would be mainly used from the bench, who is likely getting 2-3x the wage of players above him in the pecking order.

Barton I would get rid if anyway. Possibly our worst signing in league one. Great technique but something seriously lacking.

We do need to bring in a few replacements though to add a bit of depth.

Baker is good bloke who deserves better... But to SISU he's just a bunch of numbers and the total was a little high. Assuming that is, that SP didn't decide he just didn't fancy him any more. I mean, you'd hardly describe him as a winner would you?

I thought CB was value for money with some of his goals, movement and assists top quality for this league plus his commitment and off field activities made him a decent bloke as well.

At one stage he was SP's favourite so it is obvious the non playing aspects of his demise such as salary etc played a pivotal role and we will surely miss him - best of luck Bakes

chiefdave

I'm not sure that the issue people have is with the fact Baker might be gone so much as the way it's been handled. Last season when there were rumours of other clubs sniffing around after him SP was very clear that he didn't want Baker to leave and he was integral to the team. In the off season Baker has bought a house which would be an odd thing to do if you knew you were likely to be transferred. He then turns up for pre-season and gets stripped of the captaincy, hasn't been taking part in all the training sessions, has been left out of the side totally and then not even given a squad number. Has there even been a comment from SP about this yet?

So why could he be pushed out, to me there's only 3 options:

1) Attitude - find this hard to believe and there have been no rumours of any issues.

2) Playing ability - I think he's an above average L1 player and we're in L1 so people going on about how good he is in the championship is nonsense. SP certainly seemed to think he was needed when he was warning other clubs off a few months ago. Sure he had a dip in form in the later part of the season but if that's the reason then it gives me concern about SPs management if he isn't confident in his own abilities to bring out the best in his players.

3) Financial - Can we not afford his wages? This would raise a number of questions. Firstly what has happened to the Wilson, Clarke and Arsenal money as it doesn't seem to be with SP to spend on the team in either transfer fees or wages. Secondly of course is that SISU assured us there would be no financial implication by moving to Sixfields as they would cover any loss in revenue.

In my opinion the right way to do things would have been to give him a heads up at the end of last season so he could start looking elsewhere and then a decent statement from SP stating what is going on before announcing a new captain, not giving him a squad number etc. How hard would it be for SP to either state why he's surplus to requirements from a footballing point of view or to state we need to offload him as we can't afford the wages?

Frisky blue

Treat him with respect? So were you complaining when the likes of David bell was exiled in a similar way? Oh and before you start can you tell me baker performed better in the championship than bell?

Just because baker uses social media to his advantage should not give him preferential treatment. He is frozen out and I can assure you if Carl baker was approached by Barnsley with a pay rise and the club refused to let him go he'd be off to the tattoo parlour post haste. Don't be fooled loyalty in football doesn't work -- either way.
Your loyalty to sisu seems to work, for your woefully deluded self though, does it not?

chiefdave

So now it is being said that the lack of a squad number for Baker was a misunderstanding. Not sure if I'm convinced by that, mistakes do happen but surely as soon as it came to light and was getting publicity a quick we've ballsed up and he should have had a number statement shouldn't take too long to put out.

Users who are viewing this thread