Carl Baker (3 Viewers)

Really like him as a player, yes he can have his bad games but so do most players, he seems to love the club and its fans and is always approachable and seems open and honest.

Never doubt he always tries to give 100% and it looks like it hurts him when we lose

We could do with some of his goals as well so has Pressley got it wrong this time demoting him to the "bomb squad"?

Discuss

covmark

Its 7:00 on a Sunday morning, do we have to do this again?
You're not forced to comment.

To the op, yes I think he could still do a job, but I think they just want him off the wage bill. We seem to lack creativity atm, ok Baker was a bit hot and cold, but he could make something happen.
What sticks in my throat a little is the legendary status he gets from his facebook minions, he has been an ok player for our club, but certainly no legend.

hill83

It's either because of his wages/appearance fees or Pressley no longer rates him. Or he's injured.
It is what it is.

skybluetony176

Officially, he's injured.

I think we should make use of him while he's here. He's capable of bringing something the team is missing compared to this time last season. Goals!

Skybluenutterman

I believe he's still injured. We need creativity so maybe now we're back at the Ricoh, Pressley could afford to keep him cos we are told every £1 we spend 60p will go to Presssley to invest in the team.

SkyBlueScottie

While playing 352 I don't see where he fits. Playing on the right flank and potentially it leaves Willis exposed. I think O Brien suits the role he is in, as he covers every blade of grass and gets ahead of the forwards. Swanson I would imagine when he gets going will offer more.

pusbccfc

Considering our poor creativity, we need him.

johnwillomagic

He's pretty rubbish and probably our highest earner......that being said if he was fit would definitely have him as making our bench as fairly versatile to be fair.
Creativity......last time I saw Baker play away against Mk Dons he was utter garbage was replaced by Chris Maguire who did far more in his 20 mins cameo than Baker!!!

Some Baker lovers seem to have some very odd selective memory description above makes him sound like Lionel Messi!!!

covspain

He's pretty rubbish and probably our highest earner......that being said if he was fit would definitely have him as making our bench as fairly versatile to be fair.
Creativity......last time I saw Baker play away against Mk Dons he was utter garbage was replaced by Chris Maguire who did far more in his 20 mins cameo than Baker!!!

Some Baker lovers seem to have some very odd selective memory description above makes him sound like Lionel Messi!!!

I must have missed something here. Which description is it that makes him sound like Messi?

LJC_CCFC

Carl Baker wouldn't have made any difference yesterday, the problem we are having is down to the formation. The players aren't lacking any effort or ability, we just don't have enough sustained attacking possession and play in games like we did last season. I don't mind if we continue to keep clean sheets and win 1-0, but it's not the easiest way of winning football matches.

The way people bang on about him is hilarious tbh, one good season in his whole time at the club, just because he's a nice bloke doesn't mean he's any good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kingokings204

The way I look at Carl baker is, is I've any better than we already have?

My answer is yes, whilst he is no hero or a great player he is certainly in this league one of the better players in the league. If he left us where would he go? To a good team in this league that's for sure.

He brings goals and commitment and assists. Certainly no legend but I can't have that he won't do it for us after 2 very good seasons in this league.

Only because his wages are too high he is being forced out, if he was on same as the rest he would be starting IMO. If we can't get rid of him then maybe swallow pride and play him as we are paying him anyway. Surely even if they want to freeze him out then cup games and a back up player surely. We are still paying him.

ecky

I agree sisu have sold all the quality, yesterday was a lot of huff and puff but who stood out apart from reda?

covboy1987

The way I look at Carl baker is, is I've any better than we already have?

My answer is yes, whilst he is no hero or a great player he is certainly in this league one of the better players in the league. If he left us where would he go? To a good team in this league that's for sure.

He brings goals and commitment and assists. Certainly no legend but I can't have that he won't do it for us after 2 very good seasons in this league.

Only because his wages are too high he is being forced out, if he was on same as the rest he would be starting IMO. If we can't get rid of him then maybe swallow pride and play him as we are paying him anyway. Surely even if they want to freeze him out then cup games and a back up player surely. We are still paying him.

covboy1987

Carl Baker is not one of the best players in league 1

Football is indeed about opinions - His fellow professionals and managers in this league would disagree with you - the only reason he has not been snapped up is that he is on high championship wages - once he is a free agent he will be snapped up

LJC_CCFC

Football is indeed about opinions - His fellow professionals and managers in this league would disagree with you - the only reason he has not been snapped up is that he is on high championship wages - once he is a free agent he will be snapped up

Who says they would, Carl Baker is available on a free and yet nobody wants him.

coop

Baker imo should be in the team yesterday was poor no creative player's fleck is a creative player but the player's seemed lost yesterday

LJC_CCFC

Baker imo should be in the team yesterday was poor no creative player's fleck is a creative player but the player's seemed lost yesterday

WOULDN'T HAVE MADE A DIFFERENCE IN 5-3-2

ajsccfc

I'm not still entirely convinced he's been ostracised and shunned completely. It'd make sense not to publish his squad number if he's in talks to leave, and then if it turns out he doesn't the number 8 hasn't been taken by anyone else.

ratovan2

You're not forced to comment.

To the op, yes I think he could still do a job, but I think they just want him off the wage bill. We seem to lack creativity atm, ok Baker was a bit hot and cold, but he could make something happen.
What sticks in my throat a little is the legendary status he gets from his facebook minions, he has been an ok player for our club, but certainly no legend.

Having been starved of anything like a "club legend " for a considerable time it`s not surprising people see Baker as somewhat of one.
Never met him but have been in the company of those who have and apparently he is a top bloke, down to earth and actually gives a shit, he might be inconsistent but no more than anyone else.
Given the lack of creativity in the side I would certainly like him back in the fold as I want options on the pitch when things don`t work, he has provided goals and goal opportunities for others. As for the wages issue, who gives a shit the club feel he is overpaid.

Grendel

So its about opinions yet you state managers and players rate him. Opinion or fact?

RFC

I'm not still entirely convinced he's been ostracised and shunned completely. It'd make sense not to publish his squad number if he's in talks to leave, and then if it turns out he doesn't the number 8 hasn't been taken by anyone else.

May come back into the fold when he recovers from injury. PUSB!

Johnnythespider

Having watched the team yesterday, we certainly haven't replaced him with anyone better. For that reason if he is fit he should at least be on the bench.
I know he has flaws, but I didn't see anyone yesterday that looked like they will get into double figures.

Rusty Trombone

It's already been mentioned a few times, but he's injured at the moment. He mentioned on Facebook that he went for a scan last week.

It will be interesting to see what happens when he's fit to play. My view is that he's good enough to get into the team, but I'm willing to trust Pressley with this, he was right about the bomb squad members last time (after Jordan Clarke was allowed back).

chiefdave

If I thought this was SP's decision I'd find it easier to accept but we're talking about a player who, just 6 months ago, he was warning other clubs off and talking about how vital he was to his plans. Now we can all argue about how good he is or isn't but his stats over the last couple of seasons stand up pretty well and looking at our squad I'm struggling to believe he is not a better option than some of the players in the squad now.

Of course we don't know the current status as he's injured, I assume genuinely and not one of those that mysteriously clears up as soon as he signs for someone else. Once fit again if he doesn't get a squad number and a place at least on the bench I think there would be pressure on SP to justify his decision.

If I thought this was SP's decision I'd find it easier to accept

Good point Chief, never considered that, interesting to see how fans perceive the same player so differently, isn't it nice to talk about football again instead of stadiums, councils, hedge funds and trannys :)

shmmeee

Whatever you think of him, the fact is he is both our highest scorer and highest assist maker left from last season. You might not like him, but his record suggests he's good for 10 goals and a similar number of assists each L1 season. Frankly, I don't see anyone playing who can claim that.

johnwillomagic

When fit can see Jackson getting 10 in whole season........hmm any others let me think Tudgay, O'Brien, Swanson & even Reda I could see getting close to 10 or above if they play as many games as Baker in the season.

Users who are viewing this thread