Carl Baker - tries hard but (1 Viewer)

ccfcdan

Cov fans need a scapegoat. If its not Murphy its Baker, if its not Baker its Hussey and so on.

Its the same with Murphy, he'll make one unlucky error and suddenly all blame is on him. Yet Murphy will make some very impressive saves at times but doesn't get recognition!

Your forgetting about David Bell....... Bring him back and every other player can breathe easier!

RichieGunns

Your forgetting about David Bell....... Bring him back and every other player can breathe easier!

You assume he will be worse? What happens to giving players a fresh start etc.

ROD seems to be working hard to get himself into the team and I welcome this chance for him. He needs to start earning the shirt and he's obviously impressing Robin's enough that he's now getting subs chances etc.

So give Bell his chance and judge him once he's had a few games back in the side!

Last edited:

percy

You assume he will be worse? What happens to giving players a fresh start etc.

ROD seems to be working hard to get himself into the team and I welcome this chance for him. He needs to start earning the shirt and he's obviously impressing Robin's enough that he's now getting subs chances etc.

So give Bell his chance and judge him once he's had a few games back in the side!

i agree but as with baker these boys have got a bit of a label. a bad touch or misplaced pass and they will be jumped on

johnwillomagic

Bell million times better and more talented than Baker yet gets a lot more criticism. maybe Baker's workrate higher the end product nowehere near as good......when fit would like the two to genuinely be fighting for the one slot! It may drive them to more passion and consistency in performance.

In no way should Baker be anywhere near the captains armband mind!!!

Grendel

Isn't this the point people are making? That in THEIR opinion, they don't think he has been playing consistently badly with the odd good game?! And this has gone onto Baker getting abuse all the time and how pointless it is.

Has he had that much abuse this season? Don't see much myself. He has found his level. A very average League One player in a very average League One team.

Yes he has had some negative comments in the past. This essentially is because I think of his off the field persona. He has always been Mr Rent a Quote in the local media commenting on tactics, what needs to be done etc. yet consistently was an extrememly poor performer.

He was not a cheap purchase and is the second longest serving player at the club (I think). For at least 80% of his time at the club he has under achieved. His failure along with many others assisted our relegation.

Just because he now tries hard and looks positive is not neccessarly payback for the accumulated salary over the prior years of major under-achievement.

Otis

Thing is, from a professional football playing wide right you expect a better ratio of good crosses to be better than about 15%, cos that's all you get from Carl Baker.

Nearly every cross doesn't get past the first man, or is hit over all the players' heads or sails over the bar. The accuracy of his delivery is less than one in five for sure and that is simply not good enough.

Every single opposition wide man this season at the Ricoh has surely delivered a better quality of cross than Carl Baker.

I'm fine with him for being an average League One player but he surely must be able to cross the ball mustn't he? Even one good one in three would be okay.

He works hard and never stops running and seems a nice lad, but the other main problem I have with him is that he simply isn't strong enough and gets knocked off the ball far too easily.

Thought the Championship was a level too high for him but that at League One level he would be quite decent. Unfortunately thus far, he has looked a bit below average at this level.

His crossing and his lack of strength are of major concern to me.

Grendel

Thing is, from a professional football playing wide right you expect a better ratio of good crosses to be better than about 15%, cos that's all you get from Carl Baker.

Nearly every cross doesn't get past the first man, or is hit over all the players' heads or sails over the bar. The accuracy of his delivery is less than one in five for sure and that is simply not good enough.

Every single opposition wide man this season at the Ricoh has surely delivered a better quality of cross than Carl Baker.

I'm fine with him for being an average League One player but he surely must be able to cross the ball mustn't he? Even one good one in three would be okay.

He works hard and never stops running and seems a nice lad, but the other main problem I have with him is that he simply isn't strong enough and gets knocked off the ball far too easily.

Thought the Championship was a level too high for him but that at League One level he would be quite decent. Unfortunately thus far, he has looked a bit below average at this level.

His crossing and his lack of strength are of major concern to me.

I am trying for once to be diplomatic. Truth is he is poor. It would be great to think we could off load him in January. Reality is no one would be interested in a 30 year old journeyman who is overpaid and under achieves.

Mucca Mad Boys

I disagree with this, anyone that saw Carl play against Birmingham in the league cup would of seen how good he can be. He lacks confidence, playing in a winning side breeds confidence. Hopefully he can kick on now and believe in himself, because he is a decent player!

In that game 1st half was shit, to his credit, improved dramatically. Besides, it was a cup game and he was probably trying to use the game as a 'shop window' for himself.

Oh, and I thought 1 good game justifies selection week in, week out. Hasn't performed well since then, I'd give him no more than a 6 since then.

I personally don't think he has the 'minerals' to be a winger... At Stockport he played CAM (AMC whatever your currency).

dongonzalos

He is a confidence player, however he is one if our most skillful players. Hopefully MR is a good coach and he will get the most out of the likes of Baker. He seems to rate. Although I would like to see him do the same with Hussey.
Hussey has a lot of potential.

Grendel

He is a confidence player, however he is one if our most skillful players. Hopefully MR is a good coach and he will get the most out of the likes of Baker. He seems to rate. Although I would like to see him do the same with Hussey.
Hussey has a lot of potential.

What does that mean - confidence player?
He lacks basic elements to his game - that is why he has spent most of his career in the non-league and failed to make the step up.

dongonzalos

What does that mean - confidence player?
He lacks basic elements to his game - that is why he has spent most of his career in the non-league and failed to make the step up.

When his confidence is up, he gives the opposition hell. When it down he gives us hell.

Grendel

When his confidence is up, he gives the opposition hell. When it down he gives us hell.

Shame he has only been confident about 1% of the time then.

coop

i like baker for his effort and a nice bloke to talk to but if you carnt knock a 30 yard or even a 5 yard pass to a team mate after all them years of training then u will never get any better IMO.His best years where at Stockport and where are they now.Not having a go but just my take on baker

Grendel

I've come to the conclusion that baker must have compromising photos of Clive Eakin.

I hope to God he never reveals them.

Mucca Mad Boys

I wad frustrated with him in the cup. However I feel he trying to be to cocky then.

Generally though he has impressed me more than frustrated me this season

He shows glimpses of quality but makes basic mistakes in every game this season, v Brum he played very well, but in the 1st half, he gave away possession a ridiculous amount of times (I thik i counted 9 can't really remember tbh!) and people forgot this despite his class in the 2nd half and ET. Bottom line is, he isn't that good and we could do with a winger, but I think Moussa RM and Hussey LM *MAY* be good IMO (Fleck behind McG).

*I admit this may not work but if we don't see it, we won't find out.

Last edited:

Otis

Thing is, on the right we really only have the option of Bell or Baker. They are the only true wide right midfielders we have aren't they?

wingy

Thing is, on the right we really only have the option of Bell or Baker. They are the only true wide right midfielders we have aren't they?

I Thought Moussa had been touted as capable ,likes playing out there .other than that what about one of our pacy kids??

johnwillomagic

Bell is by far the best option we have there......streets ahead of Baker not sure of the reason why he is not playing tbh in favour of Baker???

Mucca Mad Boys

Moussa is said to be able, but I'd try to sign a winger.

stupot07

He shows glimpses of quality but makes basic mistakes in every game this season, v Brum he played very well, but in the 1st half, he gave away possession a ridiculous amount of times (I thik i counted 9 can't really remember tbh!) and people forgot this despite his class in the 2nd half and ET. Bottom line is, he isn't that good and we could do with a winger, but I think Moussa RM and Hussey LM *MAY* be good IMO (Fleck behind McG).

*I admit this may not work but if we don't see it, we won't find out.

We have seen it, he came on vs Swindon and was poor, then started against Brentford and was hauled of at half time.

Mucca Mad Boys

We have seen it, he came on vs Swindon and was poor, then started against Brentford and was hauled of at half time.

Both games you're mentioning to be fair to Hussey, we were poor (He came on for Fleck v Swindon and people are saying we played shit from then) and v Brentford, it may have been a tactical change, as we were shocking v Bremtford.

I haven't seen him play LM yet and have only listened on the radio so I'll make my mind up fully when I see it. I think it's a good idea.

I don't know why Baker is skipper doesn't lead by example (performance wise) and appears to be a quiet man. I don't rate him as a winger, not much pace, passing, crossing and shooting ability, but great at dribbling (for L1) overall, I'd drop him, maybe he needs a rest?

johnwillomagic

Is he injured though Otis......a few on here have said he is fit and there are reasons behind the scenes why he is not involved in the squad?

Users who are viewing this thread