Carl Baker - tries hard but (1 Viewer)

shy_tall_knight

is not very good. Lacks composure and quality to be effective and really annoyed me last night.
1 - first half Cyrus gets to the byeline pulls the ball back to Baker who lofts a high slow ball into the box which is so easily defended - with forwards our size need croses with pace and accuracy.
2 - second half takes on their full back by putting the ball past him and taking him on with his pace, obviously the full back is faster and we loose possession.
3 - attempted back heal to find Cyrus, doesn't work and we have given them back the ball rather than playing the easy ball.
4 - free kick won by Cyrus on the bye-line close to the box baker picks out their defenders, just a poor quality delivery
5 - Right at the end we have an opportunity to break and he plays an awful crossfield ball into touch, the groans were audible but the final whistle and the cheers drowned it out.

ShInnbob

Problem is even with a lack of quality he does pull some great stuff out. Plus he is one of the only players Inwatch currently with a high enough work ethic to deserve a place in the team. He is like Hussey - higher quality will come with more confidence

ccfcdan

is not very good. Lacks composure and quality to be effective and really annoyed me last night.
1 - first half Cyrus gets to the byeline pulls the ball back to Baker who lofts a high slow ball into the box which is so easily defended - with forwards our size need croses with pace and accuracy.
2 - second half takes on their full back by putting the ball past him and taking him on with his pace, obviously the full back is faster and we loose possession.
3 - attempted back heal to find Cyrus, doesn't work and we have given them back the ball rather than playing the easy ball.
4 - free kick won by Cyrus on the bye-line close to the box baker picks out their defenders, just a poor quality delivery
5 - Right at the end we have an opportunity to break and he plays an awful crossfield ball into touch, the groans were audible but the final whistle and the cheers drowned it out.

I disagree with this, anyone that saw Carl play against Birmingham in the league cup would of seen how good he can be. He lacks confidence, playing in a winning side breeds confidence. Hopefully he can kick on now and believe in himself, because he is a decent player!

shy_tall_knight

how long can he dine off that blus game we have played nearly 15 games since. I agree he was part of a midfield that was outplayed last night failing to hold onto the ball but he is seen to be one of our senior / better players but I just don't rate him. He is also very weak when trying to shield the ball.

harvey098

Fucking hell. He did 5 things wrong the whole match. Agreed, the 5th one was awful and we should have made that situation into a goal scoring opportunity but I have no problem with Baker. He actually put in some great balls into the box aswell as the one "High slow one" which clarke got a header on goal with anyway.

He's one of those players who the fans have decided they dont like and no matter what he does, one mistake will stand out more that a game full of positives. (I dont think last night was a game full of positives... One of his worst performances but certainly not the worst player on the pitch).

andyboy81

Hit and Miss throughout a match. One minute he shows real class then he does something stupid!!

Shocking composure at the end last night with that pass!! He also cost me and my mate £550 at the end of the game! Had £2 on 4-1 Fleck @ 275/1!!!!

Still worth a start mind!

skyblue4ever

fecking hell. He did 5 things wrong the whole match. Agreed, the 5th one was awful and we should have made that situation into a goal scoring opportunity but I have no problem with Baker. He actually put in some great balls into the box aswell as the one "High slow one" which clarke got a header on goal with anyway.

He's one of those players who the fans have decided they dont like and no matter what he does, one mistake will stand out more that a game full of positives. (I dont think last night was a game full of positives... One of his worst performances but certainly not the worst player on the pitch).

By far not the worst but some people still feel the need to target him. Amazing!

Otis

Didn't think he was too bad last night to be honest. A mixture of good stuff and crappiness.

No. 2 was amusing though. There was no way on this earth he was going to outpace the fullback, so it looked very much like junior school kick and rush stuff. That back heel was quite dangerous and foolish, cos it was in a position that allowed the opposition to mount a very decent counter attack.

He just needs to be more consistent. It's as simple as that. It's too much hot and cold and error riddled.

That could be labelled against a number of the players though.

fernandopartridge

I disagree with this, anyone that saw Carl play against Birmingham in the league cup would of seen how good he can be. He lacks confidence, playing in a winning side breeds confidence. Hopefully he can kick on now and believe in himself, because he is a decent player!

We've won half of the games since then and he's just fucking shite. The bloke is a semi pro level footballer who had a couple of decent seasons a few years ago. He's like Michael Ricketts on a smaller scale. He hasn't got the brain to be playing even at this level.

skyblue4ever

We've won half of the games since then and he's just fecking shite. The bloke is a semi pro level footballer who had a couple of decent seasons a few years ago. He's like Michael Ricketts on a smaller scale. He hasn't got the brain to be playing even at this level.

Grow up! He is by far not the worst player we have.

SkyblueBri

We are a Div 1 team and he is a Div 1 player, what do our fans expect.
For his effort and work rate,he would be in my team, plus when he can control himself he is dangerous to the opposition. How many assists are down to his passing. Then he does something stupid and everyone gets on his back

shy_tall_knight

although we won last night, we were outplayed especially in midfield. Our midfield were all poor when in possession but worked hard including Baker when they had the ball. As captain and senior pro he may not have been the worst but he was poor. Had no involvement in any of the goals and had a couple of very poor shots last night one in both halves to add to the 5 other gems pointed out earlier in the thread.

Otis

Grow up! He is by far not the worst player we have.

Thing is though, watching opposition teams, when their players play well they appear to play well for the entire match. We have far too many players who play in bits and pieces and go from the sublime to the ridiculous and Carl Baker is very much on that list.

We only have McGoldrick who is playing consistently well. One player you do expect consistency fro is your captain.

Otis

The irony of this post is fantastic.

Skyblue4ever is entitled to his opinion but because you dont agree with it, he is suddenly a child?

If he'd finished his GCSE's he'd be over 16 wouldn't he and no longer a child?

aodea

he works hard for the team and we need that at this moment in time so he is ok with me. if the quality of the squad improves he will need to improve too match it but for the moment happy enough with what he contributes.

skyblue4ever

How can u say he is useless. He hasnt shown his potential but he has the 2nd highest assists for one. Apart from mcgoldrick, who has played well consistently?

lordsummerisle

How can u say he is useless. He hasnt shown his potential but he has the 2nd highest assists for one. Apart from mcgoldrick, who has played well consistently?

About 112 leagues games, and around 5 goals for a supposedly attacking midfield player is pretty useless..

Probably around 5 decent performances in those games as well, which, in a sane world, would qualify somebody as useless.

shy_tall_knight

Crawley created a lot more chances than we did last night because their midfield had all round quality ours had effort and endeavour which are good attributes for the position that we currently find ourselves but we need to up our quality.

Baker was poor as was Fleck who is looking so slow, Bailey had a reasonable game but Jennings gave the ball away constantly. 2 of our 3 goals were from defensive howlers and the third was a piece of individual skill our midfield did not impose themselves last night

Covstu

i think Baker has alot to offer still and we have a lack of quality down the right so we need to keep hold of him.

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
From what I have seen of Baker this season (admittedly only been to a handful of games this season due to working most saturdays) he has improved a lot since last season and fans do seem to get on his back for minor mistakes which other players make and nobody makes a noise about. He works hard for the shirt, has good ball control and can take players on. I would say the biggest thing lacking from his game really is his dreadful shooting/finishing (would expect more after all the goals he scored for Stockport in this league.)

skyblue4ever

About 112 leagues games, and around 5 goals for a supposedly attacking midfield player is pretty useless..

Probably around 5 decent performances in those games as well, which, in a sane world, would qualify somebody as useless.

Question avoided. Just a fall guy for the boo boys.

JulianDarbyFTW

Baker put on facebook that he listened to the cwr radio phone-in on the way back and was bemused by some of the critisism, in particular the bloke blaming him for not defending a short corner. He pointed out that MR gives them a job to do, a role to play, and he makes a valid point. As fans we may expect more, but he plays the way he is asked to play by his boss, not by us. And MR picks him and made him skipper for a reason, whether you and I like it or not.

InterSkyBlues

From what I have seen of Baker this season (admittedly only been to a handful of games this season due to working most saturdays) he has improved a lot since last season and fans do seem to get on his back for minor mistakes which other players make and nobody makes a noise about. He works hard for the shirt, has good ball control and can take players on. I would say the biggest thing lacking from his game really is his dreadful shooting/finishing (would expect more after all the goals he scored for Stockport in this league.)

Agreed and double ditto. Last season was not Carls best but this year he has been a stand out player on occassions. I like his energy, his desire and the fact that he is the only one who tries to beat a player and try tricks. Its my opinion, I'm 42 (have 8 O levels, 3 A levels, a BSC and a PhD) and I have decided that I like Carl and am glad he plays for the Sky Blues.

ps Couldnt make it last night - season ticket seat left empty for the night and they go an bloody well score 3!!!

PUSB

skyblue4ever

Agreed and double ditto. Last season was not Carls best but this year he has been a stand out player on occassions. I like his energy, his desire and the fact that he is the only one who tries to beat a player and try tricks. Its my opinion, I'm 42 (have 8 O levels, 3 A levels, a BSC and a PhD) and I have decided that I like Carl and am glad he plays for the Sky Blues.

ps Couldnt make it last night - season ticket seat left empty for the night and they go an bloody well score 3!!!

PUSB

How dare u have an opinion, speak sense and prove your qualifications. You do not belong on here :)

Sterling Archer

I get it, now that Hussey is dropped we need to unneccesarily single out a new player every game?

He worked his nuts off last night and in terms of quality had a bit of an off day which really isn't as frequent as some of our "fans" would tell you.

Users who are viewing this thread