Can't sleep (1 Viewer)

Corrado

is anyone subscribing to Headspace, or just free trial (I'm currently doing trial and wondering whether or not to take the plunge and start paying)
If you sign up to Anxiety UK you get headspace free for the year. Works out cheaper then buying a years membership from Headspace directly

bringbackrattles

When you get older you tend to sleep less. I used to sleep for 8 hours solid; but now probably about 6 hours. I used to worry about not sleeping enough but now just accept does anybody really know how much we need ? After a window cleaning shift I get home and have a " power nap" for about half an hour and feel good. I say power nap, but it's a fancy term for feeling knackered !

fellatio_Martinez

I’ve been struggling to sleep for the last 2 weeks , I drop off ok but wake up after 15/20 minutes and takes a good 3/4 hours to get back to sleep

I experience the very same thing if my sleeping pattern gets disturbed.

I'll be knackered and on the verge of nodding off through the day, then I get to bed and fall to sleep straight away and 20mins later I wake up and I'm wide awake but still knackered. I reckon it's the brain getting used to lack of sleep so it doesn't want to switch off.

That shit is mentally horrible to deal with.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
For at least the past 4 or 5 years, I have not slept through a night yet. I wake up an average of 3 times every night. When I was working (now retired), I slept like a log and woke up refreshed for work, but these days I look forward to having a full nights sleep, which doesn't happen. Most of the times I wake up it's because I need a slash but each time I go, I think to myself, "That should do it!" but I'll be awake 1½ hours later bursting to go again! Oh, and I NEVER sleep during the daytime.

bringbackrattles

For at least the past 4 or 5 years, I have not slept through a night yet. I wake up an average of 3 times every night. When I was working (now retired), I slept like a log and woke up refreshed for work, but these days I look forward to having a full nights sleep, which doesn't happen. Most of the times I wake up it's because I need a slash but each time I go, I think to myself, "That should do it!" but I'll be awake 1½ hours later bursting to go again! Oh, and I NEVER sleep during the daytime.
The woes of getting older. You get to sleep but find yourself in the toilet again when you'd been an hour earlier ! What about mad dreams ? I've had conversations with my parents and they've been dead for years, but when I wake up it takes a while to know it never happened and it was all in my head.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
The woes of getting older. You get to sleep but find yourself in the toilet again when you'd been an hour earlier ! What about mad dreams ? I've had conversations with my parents and they've been dead for years, but when I wake up it takes a while to know it never happened and it was all in my head.
Pretty much all of my dreams involve buses or ferries. I think that stems from when I was a bus driver many, many years ago and the ferries obviously from when I lived on the Isle of Wight. I reckon in a week, I probably have similar dreams of these modes of travel at least 6 or 7 times (between waking and nodding off again.) …. and, no! I didn't skip the letter 'n' in the word waking! :emoji_grin:

Mcbean

This happens to older people / my wife believes that everyone else lies in except for her - but she won’t listen to me - she hears noises that she says wakes her up repeatedly - I am just a light sleeper ! I never unpack a bag in a hotel room until she has checked for fans that she can hear at 59’yrds

bringbackrattles

My dad slept for only a few hours a night. He wasn't bothered though as he said that one day he'll have the long one that you don't wake up from. He could be a miserable sod at times !

Sky_Blue_Daz

Someone suggested a hay fever tablet before bed, might give it a go

Mcbean

Pretty much all of my dreams involve buses or ferries. I think that stems from when I was a bus driver many, many years ago and the ferries obviously from when I lived on the Isle of Wight. I reckon in a week, I probably have similar dreams of these modes of travel at least 6 or 7 times (between waking and nodding off again.) …. and, no! I didn't skip the letter 'n' in the word waking! :emoji_grin:
Made me smile - dreaming of On the buses - Stan et al - never to be repeated

Last night there was an owl twitwooeing away for an hour or so but just kept turning until I have drifted off again

richnrg

Made me smile - dreaming of On the buses - Stan et al - never to be repeated

Last night there was an owl twitwooeing away for an hour or so but just kept turning until I have drifted off again
what had you been doing to the owl?

Corrado

For those who were asking about headspace..

You can get two months free membership with code : TUBE

Gazolba

My alarm clock is usually set for 7:15am
But just lately I've been waking up early from 5:30-6:30am
Often I can go back to sleep, but occasionally I feel wide awake and just get up early and have breakfast.
I do sometimes take a nap during the day, usually for about 2 hours in mid afternoon.
Basically, I try to listen to my body and just go along with what my body feels like doing.

bringbackrattles

My alarm clock is usually set for 7:15am
But just lately I've been waking up early from 5:30-6:30am
Often I can go back to sleep, but occasionally I feel wide awake and just get up early and have breakfast.
I do sometimes take a nap during the day, usually for about 2 hours in mid afternoon.
Basically, I try to listen to my body and just go along with what my body feels like doing.
I came in from my window cleaning round and dropped off to sleep for half an hour. But 2 hours sounds a bit long in the day ?
Then again like you say your body tells you when you're tired etc. I like the afternoon short kip, and have one 3 or 4 days a week. Feel more refreshed than sleeping at night. Could go back out and clean more Windows !

Gazolba

I came in from my window cleaning round and dropped off to sleep for half an hour. But 2 hours sounds a bit long in the day ?
Then again like you say your body tells you when you're tired etc. I like the afternoon short kip, and have one 3 or 4 days a week. Feel more refreshed than sleeping at night. Could go back out and clean more Windows !
Since it takes me about 10 minutes to drop off to sleep, I don't think a half-hour nap would work for me.
Two hours seems just about right.
Mostly I take naps if I've been working outside in the heat and I'm just wiped out.
So the two hours is also body recovery time.

Last edited:

SkyBlueScottie

I was reading an article today which claimed that people used to have 2 sleeps per night, obviously modern society makes that extremely difficult nowadays, but if you are able is it worth perhaps trying the 2 sleep stages or trying for a nap / siesta in the afternoon. Or at least a period of relaxation / meditation in the afternoon.

Sky_Blue_Daz

I’ve been using this for the last couple of weeks , it’s been a great help

Users who are viewing this thread