Match Thread Cambridge United - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 16th Sep (1 Viewer)

oucho

If you think his role is to score goals, you're missing the point. His role is very much to enhance the team, to bring other players into the game and to press defenders and so on. A poor man's Heskey if you will. The guy got player of the year for Burton in the 14/15 season (L2 Champs), scoring a colossal 5 goals in 40 odd appearances.

I think his goals, or lack of, becomes a problem when he's partnering players who are short of goals. Nazon got a goal, Jones is doing well but I think McNulty (when fit) and Biamou need to get some goals sooner rather than later, especially with Andreu out.
I agree on the latter point, in fact I made the same point above.

As for being a poor man's Heskey?? (...shudders...)

torchomatic

I'd be happy just to avoid defeat on Saturday. Certainly don't think we'll be walloped like we were in the Cup game.

Mucca Mad Boys

I agree on the latter point, in fact I made the same point above.

As for being a poor man's Heskey?? (...shudders...)

I mean, he was decent back in the early naughties, getting the best out of Michael Owen... that was my point, albeit clumsily put!

bawtryneal

Beavon will never score goals. It's funny as you often criticise stokes for passing yet as robins points out his defending is rock solid - no one gets past him but Beavon makes a couple of assists a year and one goal and it's fine.

He's the new Robert Rosario

Bet you 50p he scores on Saturday

chiefdave

Definitely a winnable game. We know the plan now, Solid at the back and then hope Jones or Vincenti can come up with a bit of magic or a hoof over the top comes off.

Liquid Gold

A win would be great but I'd take a draw after the last couple of wins. Keep getting points on the board and build momentum without getting too carried away. Win and the open top bus will be booked by some on here.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I'd be happy just to avoid defeat on Saturday. Certainly don't think we'll be walloped like we were in the Cup game.

I hope youre right. Bloody depressing that cup game was, made worse by the 45+ minutes it took getting away from the ground at the end!

If Nazon isn't fit I hope Ponticelli gets a run out. Whilst I want to see more of Biamou I'm not sure he's ready to start (or how effective him + Beavon would be)

better days

I shuddered to remember the cheese eating surrender monkey display last year in the FA Cup so decided to look up that day's line up
Playing a team with no defensive midfielders apart from Maycock who was a very young kid at the time perhaps gives a clue as to why we were completely overrun
The team was as follows:
Burge
Willis
Turnbull Booked at 84mins
Harries (McCann) 45'minutes
Page
Maycock Booked at 43mins (Reid) 45 minutes
Gadzhev Booked at 90min
Bigirimana
Lameiras (Jones) 75 minutes
Sordell
McBean

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I shuddered to remember the cheese eating surrender monkey display last year in the FA Cup so decided to look up that day's line up
Playing a team with no defensive midfielders apart from Maycock who was a very young kid at the time perhaps gives a clue as to why we were completely overrun
The team was as follows:
Burge
Willis
Turnbull Booked at 84mins
Harries (McCann) 45'minutes
Page
Maycock Booked at 43mins (Reid) 45 minutes
Gadzhev Booked at 90min
Bigirimana
Lameiras (Jones) 75 minutes
Sordell
McBean

Our team this season is so much better than the team above that played in League 1. Laughable really.

Otis

I think it may well be a draw and I'd be well happy with that. Keep us ticking along.

Mucca Mad Boys

I think it may well be a draw and I'd be well happy with that. Keep us ticking along.

I could see it being a draw, but I'd like us to get a solid win streak going now, a 5-6 win streak off the back of our skid will put us in good stead.

johnwillomagic

I can see it being a 1-1 draw but hope we get the win the fa cup game still haunts me!! Think we may be unchanged but he may try to get McDonald back in?
Would not surprise me though if McDonald on the bench think he will line up.

Burge
Grimmer
Stokes
Davies
Willis
Doyle
Kelly
Jones
Vincenti
Nazon
Beavon.

Subs: O'Brien, DKE, McDonald, Maycock, Stevenson, Biamou, Ponticelli

Otis

I can see it being a 1-1 draw but hope we get the win the fa cup game still haunts me!! Think we may be unchanged but he may try to get McDonald back in?
Would not surprise me though if McDonald on the bench think he will line up.

Burge
Grimmer
Stokes
Davies
Willis
Doyle
Kelly
Jones
Vincenti
Nazon
Beavon.

Subs: O'Brien, DKE, McDonald, Maycock, Stevenson, Biamou, Ponticelli
I really think we should accommodate McDonald, but also think he will be on the bench.

My one worry about Davies, brilliant though he was on Tuesday, is that he is apparently quite slow and I am worried he would be beaten for pace, someone running straight at him, or in a foot race.

McDonald has looked pretty flawless and I really think we need him back in.

Kingokings204

For me you have to stick to the winning team assuming everyone is fit. The duck will score goals and be a handful in his league. Hope he recovers in time. Maybe McDonald for Davies in the only change but he would be hard done by.

Rest of the team look good and solid and the clean sheet indicate this although Carlisle missed a few sitters on Tuesday for example. I have noticed the finishing in this league is abysmal imo.

I would take a draw so 1-1.

Last edited:

Otis

For me you have to stick to the winning team assuming everyone is fit. The duck will score goals and be a handful in his league. Hope he recovers in time. Maybe McDonald for Davies in the only change but he would be hard done by.

Rest of the league look good and solid and the clean sheet indicate this although Carlisle missed a few sitters on Tuesday for example. I have noticed the finishing in this league is abysmal imo.

I would take a draw so 1-1.
I don't buy this stick with a winning team thing unfortunately.

Not every attack you face is the same. Some clubs will have big lumbering strikers and some with have quick tricky strikers.

From what I recall no-one actually ran directly at or tried to run past Davies. Davies did have a very, very good game, but you play your best team, not just pick the team that won the last game.

Every team we come up against will be different and while I felt Carlisle did have some joy down the flanks, their strikers were pretty ineffectual.

To my mind (obviously still early on in) McDonald is the best player we've got. You need your best players in the team.

larry_david

Cambridge are big bastards. Uche and ibhere upfront are both 6ft 3 at least. Deegan in midfield apparently been their mom 4 times already so that midfield match up will be good. On the wings they have no real pace but minguia has excellent delivery so whilst he will point blank refuse to run past a man, he can ping it onto the target. At the back they have leon legge, another big player who is fairly quick. This is a real test now for our squad. Early goal for us their crowd turn, they are not convinced by Derry in charge. They don't score many but don't conceded any. 0-0 is a very tempting prediction.

Nick

Administrator
Both pretty strong defences so I wonder if this is going to be a bore draw or a 10 men behind the ball type game :(

wingy

Cambridge are big bastards. Uche and ibhere upfront are both 6ft 3 at least. Deegan in midfield apparently been their mom 4 times already so that midfield match up will be good. On the wings they have no real pace but minguia has excellent delivery so whilst he will point blank refuse to run past a man, he can ping it onto the target. At the back they have leon legge, another big player who is fairly quick. This is a real test now for our squad. Early goal for us their crowd turn, they are not convinced by Derry in charge. They don't score many but don't conceded any. 0-0 is a very tempting prediction.
Oh yeah, can see a red card coming out of that midfield mash up!

Liquid Gold

I hope Doyle winds Dedham right up. Deegan is just a thug that can't keep his head and Doyle is more subtle at what he does. Would definitely stand a good chance of a win if we can get them down to 10 men.

Nick

Administrator
I hope Doyle winds Dedham right up. Deegan is just a thug that can't keep his head and Doyle is more subtle at what he does. Would definitely stand a good chance of a win if we can get them down to 10 men.

Doyle does seem a proper wind up. I watched him in the week and he was at it all game. He gives it the standing on the feet, studs down the back of the ankles etc which aren't flying karate kicks but they seem to wind the opposition up.

On Saturday their player was trying to kick off all game.

If it does the job and gets us 3 points, it works for me.

Edgey95

City to win, Jones to score, Doyle to be carded and over 2.5 match goals

Sky Blue Harry H

Doyle does seem a proper wind up. I watched him in the week and he was at it all game. He gives it the standing on the feet, studs down the back of the ankles etc which aren't flying karate kicks but they seem to wind the opposition up.

On Saturday their player was trying to kick off all game.

If it does the job and gets us 3 points, it works for me.

That's where I think he is clever - he seems to be a master of the dark arts - without actually being wound up himself (unlike some of his opponents). He will pick up a few yellows - and maybe the odd red if he gets 'caught' by an official, but he doesn't seem to suffer the red mist moments that he causes in a few of his opponents. I shouldn't like this, but as one of ours, more than happy!

Nick

Administrator
That's where I think he is clever - he seems to be a master of the dark arts - without actually being wound up himself (unlike some of his opponents). He will pick up a few yellows - and maybe the odd red if he gets 'caught' by an official, but he doesn't seem to suffer the red mist moments that he causes in a few of his opponents. I shouldn't like this, but as one of ours, more than happy!

On Tuesday, he got taken out late and he jumped up late as if he was going to kick off and just walked off.

I agree, we would be fuming playing against it.

Users who are viewing this thread