Transfer Rumour Callum Styles (4 Viewers)

Grendel

The fans need to treat him with kindness though

Hobo

I think this is the wrong mindset.

Whilst Allen has his merits, he is at his ceiling.
Palmer/O'hare fitness can't be relied upon.
Kelly is not at the level we want to be at.
Sheaf, although provided some excellent performances, can be inconsistent.
Eccles has performed well in two games this season but was not pulling up trees in previous seasons.

I would argue the CM position is the one that needs attention most as there is no one there that is outstanding at this level apart from maybe Sheaf and even then I would say he is only above average for this league. All other positions I think we are stocked with good quality and depth with the obvious exception of another striker.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

This is a typical glass half full post, with the contents of the second half of the glass totally evaporated.

Yes a quality cm signing would do us no harm, but I still think it is one of our strongest areas. We definitely need another centre back and a striker who we can develop who will be happy with time off the bench this season.

SHUNT31

This is a typical glass half full post, with the contents of the second half of the glass totally evaporated.

Yes a quality cm signing would do us no harm, but I still think it is one of our strongest areas. We definitely need another centre back and a striker who we can develop who will be happy with time off the bench this season.
CM is definitely not one of our stronger areas.

Hobo

CM is definitely not one of our stronger areas.
Kelly, Sheaf, Eccles, Palmer, Allen, O'Hare, Saka, (plus Burroughs on loan) competing for probably three places.

Not saying we don't need another good signing with Hamer gone, but no more important than another CB and striker.

Personally not worried, it will be sorted before window closes. I can see another 2-3 permanent and maybe one loan coming in.

covcity4life

Kelly, Sheaf, Eccles, Palmer, Allen, O'Hare, Saka, (plus Burroughs on loan) competing for probably three places.

Not saying we don't need another good signing with Hamer gone, but no more important than another CB and striker.

Personally not worried, it will be sorted before window closes. I can see another 2-3 permanent and maybe one loan coming in.
Palmer o hare and saka shouldn't really be counted for CM role

shmmeee

Butroughs is a wingback, as will Saka likely be primarily. O’Hare and Allen we have nobodies when it if they’re back.

Really we have three roles:

AM - well stocked if Allen and O’Hare return in form
Classic DM - Kelly/Sheaf/Eccles role, just needs to be solid and break play up, passing range a bonus.
Box to box playmaker - The Hamer role and really only he could play there and both link midfield and attack and get back and defend. Sheaf is probably the closest with his passing ability but is mired to the DM role IMO.

SHUNT31

Kelly - Great servant, really is league one level at best though.

Sheaf - Absolutely class, underrated by most especially pundits etc.

Eccles - Come on leaps and bounds and a good option for cover. Will also improve but realistically would not start for any other top 6 side yet. Has the potential to though.

Allen - Praying he can get back to full fitness and hopefully nothing serious with his heart. MR has said he is miles away though. Even when fit, would only want as an option for cover if we are to mount a serious challenge.

The rest aren’t CM’s that would play the holding roll, of which we play two. At present, we have 3 fit CM’s.

fatso

I am referring to the deep lying CM's assuming we continue with a two up top. CAM is covered between O'Hare/Palmer/Saka. That leaves two realistic options in Sheaf and Eccles to fill two positions.

I am certain that we need more bodies in these positions, and I am not overly convinced by the overall quality that we have here, probably because we've been spoilt with Gus.

Either way, to say we don't need reinforcing in this area is madness.

Exactly.

Plus sheaf and Eccles will need a break from time to time, and we may need to go to 1 up front and play an extra midfielder.

Kelly is in his last year, Palmer won't play every game and is due an injury anytime now. Allen has a heart issue and probably isn't the answer anyway. Sakamoto may be required at WB O'hare needs nursing back into th fold slowly. So I'd say there's room for a young international player for £2million.

Hincha

We need 2 CMs now we've lost Hamer. It's the only position on the pitch where we look weaker than our rivals.

Sounds like we may only get 1 this window.

Martin180

We need 2 CMs now we've lost Hamer. It's the only position on the pitch where we look weaker than our rivals.

Sounds like we may only get 1 this window.
Do we look weaker than our rivals ? There has been literally no money spent in the championship this summer apart from the relegated sides.
I would argue that there aren't many other championship sides that have a squad that seems stronger than ours and that's before we spend the Hamer money

Hincha

Do we look weaker than our rivals ? There has been literally no money spent in the championship this summer apart from the relegated sides.
I would argue that there aren't many other championship sides that have a squad that seems stronger than ours and that's before we spend the Hamer money

Not talking about the squad overall but our current state of play at CM.

Personally don't think CM options of Sheaf, Eccles, Allen (out for a while), and Kelly is top 6 level. Sheaf is the only one who would get into the starting 11 of the teams we're competing with.

2 more signings in this position and it very well could be top 6 level.

San Francisco

Personally don't think CM options of Sheaf, Eccles, Allen (out for a while), and Kelly is top 6 level. Sheaf is the only one who would get into the starting 11 of the teams we're competing with.

Lord almighty help us if Sheaf gets injured. We need 2, end of story.

Somerset Sky Blue

One to eleven I think our squad is very strong, especially if you ignore what the relegated teams have at present.
I wouldn't swap Wright/Simms/godden for another set of forwards and I think our defence looks strong too....
The points about our CM are valid - I reckon we will see someone incoming (perhaps two) which will hopefully calm some nerves.
I remember being surprised by the graphic someone had the other week where we were the second highest spender, behind Leicester, and everyone else being millions(!) behind.

Brighton Sky Blue

Birmingham have spent a fair bit compared to normal.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Sadly gus is irreplaceable , a proper M C is needed

maybe fleck if he can still run
Mc Hammer GIF

Brighton Sky Blue

They look to have recruited well but did read this morning they are desperately trying to offload Hogan and Juke to reduce the wage bill.
About time they offloaded them anyway I think. Eustace is a good fit there, given time and a bit of cash they’ll do well with him.

Still a bit miffed they got away with being crap for so many years.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

For £2m Styles wouldn't be a bad addition (if that's his release clause), but I think whether we go for it will depend on if we want Kitching.

We'd go for Kitching first, then activate the release clause. If we did both together Barnsley may well try and jack up the price on Kitching to make up for what they might lose out on on Styles.

Personally I could see us go for a LCB and a £4-5m midfielder and also Styles at £2m.

Brighton Sky Blue

For £2m Styles wouldn't be a bad addition (if that's his release clause), but I think whether we go for it will depend on if we want Kitching.

We'd go for Kitching first, then activate the release clause. If we did both together Barnsley may well try and jack up the price on Kitching to make up for what they might lose out on on Styles.

Personally I could see us go for a LCB and a £4-5m midfielder and also Styles at £2m.
That would appear to be the plan

SkyBlueMatt

I think this is the wrong mindset.

Whilst Allen has his merits, he is at his ceiling.
Palmer/O'hare fitness can't be relied upon.
Kelly is not at the level we want to be at.
Sheaf, although provided some excellent performances, can be inconsistent.
Eccles has performed well in two games this season but was not pulling up trees in previous seasons.

I would argue the CM position is the one that needs attention most as there is no one there that is outstanding at this level apart from maybe Sheaf and even then I would say he is only above average for this league. All other positions I think we are stocked with good quality and depth with the obvious exception of another striker.

This. is. a. great. post. It's impressive that you've got so many terrible points of view in one post. Greggs would be proud and he's a WUM ;)

We do need another CM, thats a given.

Allen, is a favourite of MR and will get plenty of game time as a backup. His work ethic is to be applauded and thats what we need. We now have more skilled players in other positions. You don't turn your nose up at a work horse.

Palmer & O'Hare are not CMs and up until O'Hares injury. He played 91 games in the previous 2 seasons.

Sheaf is average and inconsistent... christ on a bike 😵. He doesn't always get the plaudits because due to his role, a lot of his work goes under the radar.

Eccles is still developing, he played a big part in our playoff season last year. Now he's started this season flying what more can he do?

slowpoke

Think if we want them we will go for both, Barnsley a bit desperate cash wise I think and we are armed with the Hamer loot and still have some of the Gyokeres money left.

Ashdown

Think if we want them we will go for both, Barnsley a bit desperate cash wise I think and we are armed with the Hamer loot and still have some of the Gyokeres money left.
Some of the Vik and Hamer money will be allocated to increased wages for some players as well don’t forget .
Should be able to afford both though….a large problem at Barnsley would be breaking all this to the fans at this stage of the season.

Brighton Sky Blue

Some of the Vik and Hamer money will be allocated to increased wages for some players as well don’t forget .
Should be able to afford both though….a large problem at Barnsley would be breaking all this to the fans at this stage of the season.
It wouldn’t, they’d have a serious wedge to spend in L1 if not necessarily in this window.

Users who are viewing this thread