Callum contract offer (2 Viewers)

coop

So if he's offered 25k a week that's more than enough to look after family. The thing that winds me up is when players say they love it here and the fans he's now playing the best football of his career and he's here just like Hammer,Mcnulty etc.The grass is not always greener.Offer him 30k a week as a replacement will cost millions.

robbiekeane

So if he's offered 25k a week that's more than enough to look after family. The thing that winds me up is when players say they love it here and the fans he's now playing the best football of his career and he's here just like Hammer,Mcnulty etc.The grass is not always greener.
He obviously thinks he can get more than that? Probably get double that at a prem team.

25k a week is £2m over three years after tax. It’s hardly fuck you money for the rest of your life especially as every contract could be your last one if you get a career ending injury.

He can love it here and also want to maximise his earnings and that’s absolutely fine, not sure why it’s so difficult to understand for people

robbiekeane

Isn’t the answer to pay him the wages, extend his contract by a year and let him talk to clubs that offer us xxxxx money? Have an agreement that he’ll go tothe Prem if he really needs to at the end of this season.
Why would he agree to that? Every penny that goes to the club as a transfer fee is money that could go to him and his agent in fat signing on fees…

lacesoutdom

if cal moves, and is a benchwarmer, but takes home 30k a week for 4 years, we'd all move, regardless of how much the fans love you.

it wasnt a few weeks ago people said that ohare is a burden on the squad, everyone seemed to hate haji, and taxi was being called for robins. why stay to make fans happy when you can setup your family for life?

Offhegoes

Thinking back to similar situations going back through the years....The will or won't he sign tiring sagas...Has there ever been a positive outcome? Can't think of one.

McCallister
Marlon King
Reda Johnson
John Fleck
Gus Hamer

Not to mention the host of loan players we hoped would sign for us after a loan spell, but didn't (Clarke-Salter springs to mind).

Must keep O'Hare for the season. We go up and it's a different scenario entirely. Otherwise, he's gone.

robbiekeane

Thinking back to similar situations going back through the years....The will or won't he sign tiring sagas...Has there ever been a positive outcome? Can't think of one.

McCallister
Marlon King
Reda Johnson
John Fleck
Gus Hamer

Not to mention the host of loan players we hoped would sign for us after a loan spell, but didn't (Clarke-Salter springs to mind).

Must keep O'Hare for the season. We go up and it's a different scenario entirely. Otherwise, he's gone.
O Hare literally signed for us after his loan spell ended

Sbarcher

If he won’t sign and as much as I would hate him to go we need to sell him now for a fee. The reason being we can insert a high sell on clause in the contract and reap some reward hopefully later.

ccfc1234

McCallister
Marlon King
Reda Johnson
John Fleck
Gus Hamer

I agree with your logic and realism but this could be the exception to the rule. If the lad is being offered 40k we might not be able to match it but 25k (citca 7.5k) after tax is not a life changing difference to a person on 25k already, especially if you have to move to a more expensive part of the UK and commute a lot etc. Trying to be positive!

Sky Blue Pete

If he won’t sign and as much as I would hate him to go we need to sell him now for a fee. The reason being we can insert a high sell on clause in the contract and reap some reward hopefully later.
That’s the pragmatic view. No guarantee Ohare or agent will accept any offer though but if it’s a prem team you’d think he’d think it’d be worth going

Frostie

I can't see a situation where he leaves this month tbh, wouldn't make sense for us or him.

We are absolutely flying at the minute & losing him would destabilise that. Whatever fee we get will be small owing to his contract situation & we'd need a replacement that could immediately slot in which, as we've seen, takes time.

For him & his agent a move on a free in the summer makes far more sense too. His new club won't have to pay any transfer fee so he will get a more lucrative contract, bonuses, signing on fees etc.

David O'Day

can't see any decision being made by him until at least when the PL teams can talk to him

coop

He obviously thinks he can get more than that? Probably get double that at a prem team.

25k a week is £2m over three years after tax. It’s hardly fuck you money for the rest of your life especially as every contract could be your last one if you get a career ending injury.

He can love it here and also want to maximise his earnings and that’s absolutely fine, not sure why it’s so difficult to understand for people
Not difficult to understand just wish players would be honest.When he's asked about his contract he says that he knows nothing. I wish him all the best alot of the problem is agent's want there cut.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Not difficult to understand just wish players would be honest.When he's asked about his contract he says that he knows nothing. I wish him all the best alot of the problem is agent's want there cut.
He probably doesn’t No anything - probably said to his agent “I want £x” now he’s waiting for his agent to come back with how the negotiations have gone

robbiekeane

What do you want him to say 😂 not signing mate quite fancy 50 notes a week could do my ACL again next year

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

2bf it’s all immaterial - he’s dusting out the wig again as he runs around Ryton singing “dont you know pump it up” in this seasons kit - right before the media photos of him signing his new Prem contract with us

JSL

Our only saving grace is that he is happy here and says he loves it here which gives me a gimmer that he 'may' sign and stay. However, I am not overly optimistic

Last edited:

Hertsccfc

So if he's offered 25k a week that's more than enough to look after family. The thing that winds me up is when players say they love it here and the fans he's now playing the best football of his career and he's here just like Hammer,Mcnulty etc.The grass is not always greener.Offer him 30k a week as a replacement will cost millions.
Why does it wind you up? I am sure he does love it here as he seems a positive sort of person who gets on with his team mates but that doesn't mean that he doesn't want to go as far as he can in the game. He's not a fan like us and if he has the chance to play at a higher level why wouldn't he? So many fans seem to take these sorts of things personally. For me as long as players play as well as they can while they are with us I won't complain.

Yes the grass is not always greener but that is impossible to tell as there are so many variables. He has to use his judgement as it's his career.

PVA

It is possible to both love it here and want to play at a higher level/maximise earnings.

The two things are not mutually exclusive.

Hertsccfc

It's his information not ours. Would you be happy to talk about your employment contract and salary in public? And all the personal factors that go into your decision of whether to move or not.

ccfcricoh

we need to realise that when a player says they "love it here" they mean a very different thing to what us fans feel, unless the player is an actual Cov fan.

Yes O'Hare will enjoy playing here, of course he will, he and us have been successful, but that means nothing at all if he gets offered a big move, he'll be gone in the blink of an eye, see Hamer.

If he moves to another team that starts doing well, he'll "love it here" too

as others have said, its a job to them, we just need to make sure we do the best for the club, we'll have offered what we think he's worth, if he accepts, great, if he doesnt we need to weigh up getting a fee now vs keeping him for 4 more months and getting nothing...quite simple.

For me, he is easier to replace than Gyokeres and Hamer so we'll move on and progress either way

Brighton Sky Blue

At least we should get another wedge of Gyo and possibly Hamer cash in the summer to offset getting no fee for COH.

lacesoutdom

im sure the backroom staff are already looking for his replacement, for all we know torp could be just that. (mixed with a bit of a hamer replacement too)

AFCCOVENTRY

If someone made a bid for him it would have to be for silly money as it’s the Jan window. We don’t need to let him go now or on the cheap as we push for Wembley

hamertime

He’s not even back to his full sharpness, I can’t see any Premier League team coming in for him as he’s not at that level yet. I can’t see us selling him to a championship rival because fans would be seriously pissed off.

I think he will stay and then run out his contract and leave in the summer, which is the best option for us.

He’s playing a dangerous game though, because if he gets injured again, he will be out of work in June and who’s going to pay for his rehabilitation then.

people saying we should sell him now are mad because without him, we don’t make the playoffs and the season implodes. Look at the stats with and without him.

Skyblueweeman

He’s not even back to his full sharpness, I can’t see any Premier League team coming in for him as he’s not at that level yet. I can’t see us selling him to a championship rival because fans would be seriously pissed off.

I think he will stay and then run out his contract and leave in the summer, which is the best option for us.

He’s playing a dangerous game though, because if he gets injured again, he will be out of work in June and who’s going to pay for his rehabilitation then.

people saying we should sell him now are mad because without him, we don’t make the playoffs and the season implodes. Look at the stats with and without him.

On the flip side, we made the play offs without him last season.

Users who are viewing this thread