Butts (1 Viewer)

skysblue

The Butts is the dream for the majority of city fans I'd say. I'm not sure on the 4G pitch situation, whether it's happening or not, but the pitch is known for being awful and would need work regardless.

St Andrews is the next best thing and the only other ground I'd consider going to regularly. Fairplay to those in charge if these are legitimately the final 2 options.
Looks like once all the voting & arguments have finished it will be St Andrews.

quinn1971

Call me an old cynic, but with the council leaked e mail trying to block pro football there, Sharp wanting to develop site (and nedding ccc support) is this just a vehicle to point more at the council being obstructive (if) when it is blocked as being a possibility....

Agree with this, they know they won’t be able to play at the butts, council stopped it last time and they’ll do the same again, council want sisu gone, they’re not going to help them

Kneeza

What's bullshit? Cov aren't laying a new pitch or the type of pitch is prohibited by the EFL?
The bullshit is the Times' made-up story.
Must be a slow news day.
To reiterate, there are things due to happen at the ground next season (caveat as above) that make it impossible to install temporary stand/s to bring the capacity up to a suitable level. The pitch won't be the issue, even if it'll probably be no better for the type of football Robbins likes to play than the Ricoh's is (if the modified development plan happens, which looks pretty certain).
There's only one 'plane' on the site that could accomodate a big temporary stand (without major prep work/disruption), and that won't be available if current planning comes to fruition.
In many ways though, I'd love to see the City at the BPA, but Sisu's involvement would override that for me.

pusbccfc

Imagine the fall out if we have a capacity of 10k and dominate the league next season. The missing 35k from Wembley will be in uproar about not getting tickets!

Forever_Blue

Talking of pitches, aren't they putting in a new pitch, (perhaps 4G?), that wouldn't be acceptable to the EFL?
Yes they are, this summer.

There has also been additional plans drawn up to develop the ground, installing news stands, retail and other amenities, so the groundshare could be a possibility as Mr Sharp knows it would be quids in. The only issue would be when Cov Utd play their games. Already 4 teams play there.

Last edited:

SkyBlueDom26

Yes they are, this summer.

There has also been additional plans drawn up to develop the ground, installing news stands, retail and other amenities, so the groundshare could be a possibility as Mr Sharp knows it would be quids in. The only issue would be when Cov Utd play their games. Already 4 teams play there.
Isn't the Cov united deal only for 1 year?

Captain Dart

better days

It does not say that all

No mention of St Andrews being disqualified etc
Here's the story from the online version
The print version is a shorter precis

Coventry City will today propose a ground-share with Coventry Rugby Club next season in talks with the EFL as they attempt to avoid being thrown out of the Football League later this month.

The Times has learnt that the 4,000-capacity Butts Park Arena in the city has emerged as a second ground-share option for Coventry along with Birmingham City’s St Andrew’s, with the club desperately trying to avoid expulsion from the league after 100 years at a meeting of all 72 clubs on 25 April.

Coventry’s preferred option remains to stay at the Ricoh Arena but that does not appear to be possible due the unwillingness of the city council and landlords Wasps to agree a new lease. Ironically, Coventry’s search for a solution to their impending homelessness has led them to seek the help of a smaller rugby club, who are third from bottom of the Greene King Championship and also share Butts Park with Coventry United, a Midland League club formed in response to fans’ disillusionment with Coventry’s owners Sisu in 2013.

Coventry have also proposed a ground-share with Birmingham, but the EFL Board are insisting that they must play within six miles of the city next season having previously moved to Northampton for the 2013-14 season. As a result, Butts Park could become the key to Coventry staying in the Football League, although the ground would need significant improvements to get up to the standards required in Sky Bet League One. There are 3,000 seats at Butts Park with room for another 1,000 on a terrace, which would present a challenge for Coventry as they have 6,000 season-ticket holders and their average home attendance at the Ricoh Arena this season is over 12,000.

Coventry were issued with a formal threat of expulsion from the Football League earlier this month due to the uncertainty over where they will player next season with the EFL calling an Extraordinary General Meeting of all 72 of its clubs to determine their future.

letsallsingtogether

I love the Butts was there on Saturday watching Cov play need the whole pitch ripping up don't even have spinklers.
The pitch is 100 times worse then the Ricoh.
It does get freezing there though so will need those temporary stands to keep out the wind.

Evo1883

On a side note what would let’s say £100,000 a season do for the financial side of Coventry rugby club in the event of a rent agreement , would it be enough to propel them up the championship

Liquid Gold

I might actually spend more time in Cov, bring some of that southern prosperity up to the midlands wasteland.

pusbccfc

Imagine a 4000 capacity terrace behind the goal there. Would become a horrid place for away teams.

Also,

Put the fucking away fans in an open top terrace like many have to us. Limit them to 900.

Users who are viewing this thread