Butts park arena? (2 Viewers)

NorthernWisdom

Gannon's the labour councillor who re-tweeted someone asking the electorate not to vote labour at the local elections. The bloke that's in charge of the councils stake in cluster-bombs. Think he maybe after a way to still be relevant in local politics after the soon to be held clear out.

If he can sort us out and then sod off, that sounds an ideal win-win solution!

Captain Dart

If people had listened carefully they would have heard 15k capacity maybe extending to 25k. but no real probablity of any extention above 15k... Non starter.

JS said “But I don’t want the rugby club to be rattling around in too large a stadium.”

So has he not said we can do 25K but we don't really want even 15K (given Covs attendance is c. 1500 at present)!

Corrado

If people had listened carefully they would have heard 15k capacity maybe extending to 25k. but no real probablity of any extention above 15k... Non starter.
Bring it on....Cant really see the issue with 25K being the maximum, even if we made the prem I doubt we would fill it week in and week out. I see max 20K when we make it back to the championship.

torchomatic

Listen to the video Battery Boy. He said "15k" extention to "25k" but almost certainly won't be extended over "15k" ..... Would you like me to link it for you?

No, I wouldn't like you to do anything for me.

torchomatic

Bring it on....Cant really see the issue with 25K being the maximum, even if we made the prem I doubt we would fill it week in and week out. I see max 20K when we make it back to the championship.

Agree. The capacity thing is just another stick to beat the idea down. Just something to moan about. These people don't go anyway.

oldfiver

Listen to the video Battery Boy. He said "15k" extention to "25k" but almost certainly won't be extended over "15k" ..... Would you like me to link it for you?

Actual quote
He told us today one possibility was for two new stands to be built in the first instance, with a potential initial capacity of 15,000. The ground currently has one stand and a 4,000 capacity.
He added it was also possible that the ground could be expanded by increments depending on growth and demand, notably were Coventry City Football Club to win promotions.
He said one concern was that the football club’s desire for a 25,000 stadium may be considered too large for Coventry rugby club present crowds, but said nothing was ruled out.

SkyBlueHomer

Why could it not? We wouldn't all play at the same time though. Keep going though, I'm sure there's other things you can think of.

Why not - depending on the playing surface permitted it would get trashed and no time to relay & bed in properly maybe?

Just being realistic thats all. This has many miles in it yet, we cant just move in and do what we want because in convenient for us.
Like I said previously, in an ideal world its a good idea but we dont live in one do we?

tisza

Hasn't Sharp said the problem with going to 25k is that it would limit the commercial development of the rest of site?
"We think 25,000 is the biggest we could fit there, but we would be looking at something significantly smaller to than that to allow space for further development of the ground. “I would like to see a community room, a gym and maybe some retail there to make the site work."

fernandopartridge

Bloody hell, Damien Gannon:

He said: “I understand that the relationship between CCFC and the Council has not been great but this presents a real opportunity for us to “press the reset button” on our relationship with them and work to produce an outcome that works for the football club as well as the local authority. It would seem churlish for the Council to reject such a proposal out-of-hand particularly as a move closer to the city centre so obviously fits in with what we have been trying to achieve over the past few years in terms of growing the city centre.

“I have written to the Football Club and the Rugby Club asking for a meeting so I can get a fuller appreciation of these proposals and how we can all work together to make our city prosper and our local sports team achieve their true potential.”

Can't help feeling that this some serious bluff calling....

The Lurker

Would love this to happen but can't see it. Cov rugby don't have much money and you can't see sisu spending 20+ million redeveloping stands and building plus there's not much land to build on. Train track behind one goal. Buildings at the side. Plus a 5g pitch would cost plenty of money too easily a million plus. Sisu didn't want to spend millions to buy half the Ricoh a few years why would they spend more now when there trying to cut costs?

oldfiver

Hasn't Sharp said the problem with going to 25k is that it would limit the commercial development of the rest of site?
"We think 25,000 is the biggest we could fit there, but we would be looking at something significantly smaller to than that to allow space for further development of the ground. “I would like to see a community room, a gym and maybe some retail there to make the site work."

Not seen the first part of your question raised but I think retail was not approved under previous owner(s)

NorthernWisdom

Possibly... but tbh is that a bad thing?

Even if this comes to nought, at some stage if we're not staying at the Ricoh we need a new ground, and for a new ground we need CCC's co-operation. If they're prepared to start with a clean slate (and yes, it remains to be seen) then it pushes the club to actually come up with something.

Whatever happens, we at least move forward from the impasse where they all say they can't work with each other.

Nick

Administrator

I thought that too, but don't think it is a bad thing.

Imagine if the council turned round and said "Here you go, let's change that rule about no football, good luck"

rupert_bear

Would it not be better instead of building a new smaller ground also shared with a Rugby Union team, invest the millions needed to build it on the team instead which could propel us very near to the Premiership and the millions up for grabs there every year. Better than relying on increasing our pie and pint sales !

Nick

Administrator
Would it not be better instead of building a new smaller ground also shared with a Rugby Union team, invest the millions needed to build it on the team instead which could propel us very near to the Premiership and the millions up for grabs there every year. Better than relying on increasing our pie and pint sales !

I doubt SISU would put the money in. I can see them trying to raise it by naming rights or something like the bonds.

Liquid Gold

It would be great, imagine us owning our own stadium in partnership with another sporting institution of the city. We could then use the revenue to try and get out of this division and up towards the top one. Imagine the people who didn't attend when we were shit or because they didn't want to give the owners any money moaning that they couldn't get a ticket, fucking good.

torchomatic

Bluff, Bluff, Bluff,. Could Sisu be looking to get a longer or better deal at the Ricoh if Wasps know their is an alternative? PUSB

Are people actually aware that it was CRFC who released this and not SISU or the football club?!

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
What if no one is bluffing? What does CRFC get from it being a bluff?

then the feeling I have would be wrong - doesnt make me or them wrong at this precise moment, it is just a truthful expression of how I feel about the news now

Users who are viewing this thread