Burge (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueCRJ

Burge to owls is surely nonsense. After westy they've got 2 younger keepers who are really highly rated. Unless all 3 are off burge will be going to be third choice

Due to FFP restrictions I can see a fair few being moved on from the Owls this summer. They're seriously under pressure to balance the books this season as over the past 3 years they have spent big on fees and wages in an attempt to achieve promotion - which has obviously failed. I've also heard rumours from friends who are season ticket holders that Wednesday's owner is tightening the strings due to the lack of return on his heavy investments. Apparently this summer they're expecting a lot of departures and very few incoming signings. So, although I was also initially surprised by the rumour, it could be actually plausible.

Last edited by a moderator:

SkyBlueDom26

Due to FFP restrictions I can see a fair few being moved on from the Owls this summer. They're seriously under pressure to balance the books this season as over the past 3 years they have spent big on fees and wages in an attempt to achieve promotion - which has obviously failed. I've also heard rumours from friends who are season ticket holders that Wednesday's owner is tightening the strings due to the lack of return on his heavy investments. Apparently this summer they're expecting a lot of departures and very few incoming signings. So, although I was also initially surprised by the rumour, it could be actually plausible.
Sheff W or Stoke

Wouldn't it be class if we could get Westwood back

no_loyalty

Sheff W or Stoke

Westwood was restored as Sheff Wed's first choice keeper since their previous manager was sacked, not a chance he would come back here.

Speedies_Chips

Surely you've just made the case for them not signing Burge! If they need to move Westwood on because of wages, then they already have understudies in place without the need of paying Burge whatever he is worth.

Last edited:

SkyBlueCRJ

Sheff W or Stoke

Similarly, Stoke next season will have to cut their budget given their poor league form this season. Would be more of a surprise destination than Sheff W though as they'll still receive parachute payments. But then again take budget cuts out of the equation, realistically what club is going to pay over the odds for a reserve keeper that won't play except in cup comps, so again wouldn't be a surprise.

Every Sky Blue fan would be living the dream if he came back.

torchomatic

SkyBlueCRJ

Surely you've just made the case for them not signing Burge! If they need to move Westwood on because of wages, then they already have understudies in place without the need of paying Burge wharever he is worth.

Westwood is almost certain to go due to wages as you've said. Sheff W fans think that either one of Dawson/Wildsmith may leave in the summer on loan.

mark82

Similarly, Stoke next season will have to cut their budget given their poor league form this season. Would be more of a surprise destination than Sheff W though as they'll still receive parachute payments. But then again take budget cuts out of the equation, realistically what club is going to pay over the odds for a reserve keeper that won't play except in cup comps, so again wouldn't be a surprise.

Every Sky Blue fan would be living the dream if he came back.

Didn't Nathan Jones comment last year that he thought Burge was the best keeper in league 2? It might have been someone else but if it was then there is obviously that link. I can't see Butland staying at Stoke after the summer so if he is someone Jones rates then it could make sense.

Last edited:

Otis

Didn't Nathan Jones comment last year that he thought Burger was the best keeper in league 2? It might have been someone else but if it was then there is obviously that link. I can't see Butland staying at Stoke after the summer so if he is someone Jones rates then it could make sense.
I keep hearing about this Burger fella. Can we have him instead of Burge?

torchomatic

I keep hearing about this Burger fella. Can we have him instead of Burge?

I relish the thought of a new keeper.

SkyBlueCRJ

Didn't Nathan Jones comment last year that he thought Burger was the best keeper in league 2? It might have been someone else but if it was then there is obviously that link. I can't see Butland staying at Stoke after the summer so if he is someone Jones rates then it could make sense.

Not sure but it certainly rings a bell. If true you're definitely onto something there.

shmmeee

tbf he's played so long at the club with Willis, that their communication between each other will be rock solid by now...

I think it’s more about an experienced head talking the defence through the game, organising them and giving them confidence to play. Not sure I’d be confident with Burge behind me (even less so if I’d played with him for years :p )

SkyBlueDom26

Well my nine year old will be gutted. Burge is her favourite player.

Personally I think an experienced GK is a must with our young back line.
That goalie Sunderland signed is proving good in league 1, made a few good stops when they came to the ricoh
Seen him a few times in the football league team of the week too

Fergusons_Beard

Burge underperforming according to STATS too.....

a5eae5963b69d395f43b28c2e9ff0207.jpg

Based on GAA -goals saved above average which in essence is difference between xG (only shots on target) faced and goals conceded.

Seems to go against most people’s opinion that he’s had a good season...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fergusons_Beard

Naturally the better the difference from xG faced to actual goals conceded the more potential "goals" a GK is stopping from going in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Colin Steins Smile

I heard that the Sheff Wednesday owner was trying to sell the club, so it's plausible that in the interim he'll reduce the costs of running it.

Kilclines curly mullet

Up until the end of November Burge was our most improved player, probably even player of the season.
Since Walsall he has been back to his usual nervous self. Nobody on here will ever know if Burge made a shout to Willis, I suspect not, therefore not to blame for the Gills pen.
Would be a shame to see him go, but may be for the best all round.
I guess it depends big time on the replacement we sign.

Nick

Administrator
Up until the end of November Burge was our most improved player, probably even player of the season.
Since Walsall he has been back to his usual nervous self. Nobody on here will ever know if Burge made a shout to Willis, I suspect not, therefore not to blame for the Gills pen.
Would be a shame to see him go, but may be for the best all round.
I guess it depends big time on the replacement we sign.
If burge made a shout he would have been running out and would have got it.

BigadamL

i really couldn't give a toss if Burge went, the fact he had made it this long is a miracle. saw him in the Tescos a few years back after the game buy some drinks, he bloody dropped that (no word of a lie)
i trust the management team to find a decent replacement, can't be that hard just try somebody who doesn't get lost under the ball at corners and can keep it on the pitch when kicking it.

skybluepm2

If burge made a shout he would have been running out and would have got it.

The more I watch it, the more I lay the majority of the blame on the shit state of the pitch. It really didn’t sit up nicely for Willis to either head back nor hoof clear. Add to that the fact that McCallum should’ve assisted in some capacity but ended up standing there like a lost lamb (really isn’t filling me with any confidence so far and I think he’s being thrown in way too soon).

Burge isn’t seen until late on in the replay so his part in the build up to the whole debacle really is uncertain. Did he shout (if not, he should’ve done. Willis has his back to goal and had his eye firmly on the ball. Burge should be the voice Willis is listening for here)? Should he have come sooner? Saying that, the way he clatters their man on a ball that was well on the way to being an inevitable goal kick was somewhat clumsy.

skybluegod

Would be surprised if Steve Bruce went in there without the assurances of some backing. Not really his style to go to basket case clubs unless backed.

SkyBlueCRJ

Would be surprised if Steve Bruce went in there without the assurances of some backing. Not really his style to go to basket case clubs unless backed.

I thought that too but realistically what assurances can be given when as a previous poster has stated, the owner has put the club up for sale and it's widely reported their playing budget will have to be slashed due to FFP restrictions. Their owner may back him enough to stay in the Championship to ensure Sheffield Wednesday is a sellable asset but I can't see him investing any further given that he's already up in arms about the lack of return on his investments. Plus, look at their activity last summer as a case in point: 2 loans and 2 free transfers. It's highly likely that this summer window will be equally as uneventful.

Great_Expectations

It was absolutely Willis’ fault, Burge had no choice.

I think the incident at the end was injury related, potentially concussion (?), as the doctor/physio came back out to help Oggy with Burge.

If it is concussion and he’s out for a few games, that leaves Addai as the only keeper. Emergency loan territory?

I know it’s a dick comment, but; called it.

Reactions: vow

Users who are viewing this thread