Broad gate 6pm (4 Viewers)

shmmeee

It's to do with how the police can treat football supporters and incidents involving football supporters differently and how they can pursue a fairly serious charge for a very minor infringement when it suits them, an afftay charge for pushing someone with the tips of your fingers, jail for throwing a smoke bomb, theyre not a made up example, they happened.

I don’t get this argument. Should football supporters never talk to police? Women, minorities and teenagers all have similar problems, just straight middle aged white men should help the police now? Disengagement isn’t the answer, engagement along with strong action if/when things happen is the answer. If football fans are being mistreated raise it as an issue, but hindering police investigations is only going to embed that attitude further not help it.

clint van damme

I don’t get this argument. Should football supporters never talk to police? Women, minorities and teenagers all have similar problems, just straight middle aged white men should help the police now? Disengagement isn’t the answer, engagement along with strong action if/when things happen is the answer. If football fans are being mistreated raise it as an issue, but hindering police investigations is only going to embed that attitude further not help it.

Where did I say supporters shouldnt talk to the police?
But they need to be very wary. I've seen people jailed and lose their livelihoods afte4 getting caught up in very minor incidents that the police wouldn't have looked at twice if they'd happened in the Burgess.

This is essentially a minor issue but it's still on going months later.
There's been far worse disturbances than this since in pubs around Cov which arent been investigated with this sort of rigor.

clint van damme

Yet, you've clearly only looked at this one way. Football fans don't get treated any differently.

If thats what you think fair enough I don't agree.

My last words on it will be this, when my son and his mate got mugged at knife point a few years a go I really wish they pursued it as doggedly as this Broadgate incident because they basically did fuck all.

And the BLM think is similar to be honest, high profile so it gets more attention. It's not the severity of the crime more how much it's in the public eye as most football related incidents are.

shmmeee

Where did I say supporters shouldnt talk to the police?
But they need to be very wary. I've seen people jailed and lose their livelihoods afte4 getting caught up in very minor incidents that the police wouldn't have looked at twice if they'd happened in the Burgess.

This is essentially a minor issue but it's still on going months later.
There's been far worse disturbances than this since in pubs around Cov which arent been investigated with this sort of rigor.

I thought this entire thread was about the Police wanting to talk to people and people saying they shouldn’t because the police hate football supporters.

That’s all I’m saying. These people should help the police. If when they do they are unfairly charged then I’ll be right there with you complaining about it.

fernandopartridge

I thought this entire thread was about the Police wanting to talk to people and people saying they shouldn’t because the police hate football supporters.

That’s all I’m saying. These people should help the police. If when they do they are unfairly charged then I’ll be right there with you complaining about it.

Help the police with what? What are they actually trying to establish here? If they want witnesses to a crime committed by somebody else to come forward, putting mugshots in the paper is a funny way of going about it.

shmmeee

Help the police with what? What are they actually trying to establish here? If they want witnesses to a crime committed by somebody else to come forward, putting mugshots in the paper is a funny way of going about it.

Again. It’s not a funny way of going about it, it’s standard practice. See my post earlier. It doesn’t imply guilt, I posted several examples of calls to talk to specific witnesses.

Grendel

If thats what you think fair enough I don't agree.

My last words on it will be this, when my son and his mate got mugged at knife point a few years a go I really wish they pursued it as doggedly as this Broadgate incident because they basically did fuck all.

And the BLM think is similar to be honest, high profile so it gets more attention. It's not the severity of the crime more how much it's in the public eye as most football related incidents are.

Yes of course this is modern policing. I have no doubt if a curtain twitcher in Kenilworth sees next door invite 7 people to their house the whole of the WM police force will descend on them and bring along a TV crew

David O'Day

Again. It’s not a funny way of going about it, it’s standard practice. See my post earlier. It doesn’t imply guilt, I posted several examples of calls to talk to specific witnesses.

Still spouting that old and frankly fucking bollocks line?

David O'Day

All you are saying? You've changed what you are saying about 5 times already.

David O'Day

Exactly as has been pointed out to him the Police are just fishing.

fernandopartridge

Isn’t that basically how they have been trying to find people for over 100 years?

Not sure that making a general request for witnesses is the same as putting mugshots of would-be witnesses in the paper. TBH I find the whole thing a bit over the top, there is either reasonable suspicion these people have done something wrong or there isn't. If there is reasonable suspicion then put their mugshots in the paper and say it and that's why you want to talk to them.

Don't imply they're being put there as some sort of search for witnesses. it's trial by media and something as sensitive as this can have very serious ramifications.
You only have to look at the reaction of shmmeee, he has already decided they're guilty.

NortonSkyBlue

Whatever led to the confrontation there were people throwing missiles at the police and the alleged knife carriers. I would be very wary of coming forward if I had thrown bottles etc. The police have video evidence and are probably looking to match names to faces.
Shouldn’t have happened all around and certainly doesn’t shine a positive light on some of our support.

Nick

Administrator
It is weird how they are staying so quiet about the knife though.

They said they found one in the bins by where the 2 lads were but the onus is on the people throwing shit? Obviously everybody needs to be dealt with (especially the people who made racist remarks) but the silence about a knife in a public place is strange.

Users who are viewing this thread