Match Thread Bristol Rovers v Coventry City match thread Saturday 22 Sep (1 Viewer)

Grendel

This is true. But the issue here was we gifted the first goal against all run of play to a team devoid of confidence and looking like they were going to roll over. That goal raised them a little but when we gifted another shortly after they were now lifting their heads and raising their shoulders adding a competitive edge to the game. We failed to capitalise on the early chances we had and should have scored from, which would have buried them. We now got sloppy on the ball all over the place. Players must have been wondering where their A game had gone. One of those days when you consistently under hit a pass, the bounce falls kindly to opposition and the wet conditions compound the effects that seemed like a catching disease from one player to the next. As this went on and the hoof balls kept coming in we somehow contrived to give them another goal as we wobbled around in our own penalty box. So we had a mare as a team and even a good goal from Chaplin was ruled offside. Some players pulled it together more some didn't. But it was all too late and gutless. Headless chickens like Thomas, running with no end product, JCH lumbering and lacking energy. Sterling completely all over the place are just some of the days issues. The only ones with some credit would be Chaplin and Doyle who both dug in and stuck to their task. Bayliss was a huge miss so I worry we have not got cover for him. We need Jodi Jones back sooner rather than later. But the day was about the application of the players and they failed to turn up after we went behind. The question is why?

Probably because we’ve scored 4 goals from open play and the “lumbering” forward on the pitch is the only striker to do so

Opposition know if they score first it’s game over

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Couldn’t get to the match in the end and ended up stranded in Newport untill 5pm.
Rang my mate up at 2pm when it had become obvious there was no affordable way to Bristol, who had my tickets and said to give them away to someone who hadn’t got tickets. He gave them to a steward at the away end of the ground, hope someone got to use them.

ccfcway

Couldn’t get to the match in the end and ended up stranded in Newport untill 5pm.
Rang my mate up at 2pm when it had become obvious there was no affordable way to Bristol, who had my tickets and said to give them away to someone who hadn’t got tickets. He gave them to a steward at the away end of the ground, hope someone got to use them.

for their sake, I hope they didn't

johnwillomagic

Well we definitely should have been at least one up after first 10 minutes but after that we were not very good.
Some terrible defending/goalkeeping for all 3 goals - disappointing more the way we collapsed after first goal!

We definitely lack a cutting edge for sure not sure what the answer is - I think we missed Bayliss though Kelly and Doyle
did not do too badly I thought. Be nice to get Jones back but think he is some way away,

Sterling looked very shaky I think moving Wills to right back and bringing Davies in at centre back definitely a good shout for Sunderland.
As to what we can do in midfield and attack it is difficult to really juggle it too much with options we have though would like Thomas taken out in some ways
as he has no end product his pace however does at least give us something - hopefully Bayliss will be back.

I actually though Bakayoko did ok when he came on too not sure I'd start him but may be worj giving JCH a rest and playing him with Chaplin?

Adge

Just seen the goals-Jeez! Sterling and Willis for the first but I’m afraid Burge needs to do better for the 2nd and 3rd.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Grendal's comment " opposition know if they score first it's game over" is so true .The pressure is always going to be on our defence after a goal, managers know our forwards hold little or no threat mark Chaplin well and we are lost . Not having Bayliss yesterday was a big minus .

letsallsingtogether

Grendal's comment " opposition know if they score first it's game over" is so true .The pressure is always going to be on our defence after a goal, managers know our forwards hold little or no threat mark Chaplin well and we are lost . Not having Bayliss yesterday was a big minus .
Grendels comment is a generalisation of most teams.
Just read an article showing prem games where the away team were losing 1-0 at half time.
Of them.
36 games ended in a 1-1
29 ended 2-1 to the home team.
6 ended 1-2 to the away team.
The best team from the sample of teams that were Used showed that Arsenal were best with 18%.

Also went on to say that teams very rarely change there tactics when losing.

Sick Boy

I actually overheard someone say they'd managed to get a ticket on the gate.

Warwickhunt

Just reading through the Bristol Rovers Supporters Forum comments regarding how they rated Coventry's visit. They were all quite positive bar a few hard nosed ones and generally they gave city a 7! I cut and pastred an exctract from Steve192 on link "thats More like it" he summed it up reasonably well

Crowd 7 Got behind the team despite the lack of numbers. We have had to put up with a lot of below par performances this season and deserved yesterdays performance and result. only consistency will bring back the support we have lost as without doubt last season the crowd would have been over 10,000.
Ref 8.5 Apart from missing a blatant penalty I felt he was the best we have had this season but not helped by a couple of ridiculous decisions by his linesmen.
Coventry 7 Very good footballing side who were economical with the ball and rarely gave it away. Their problem will be that their defenders whilst great with the ball and confident in possession were not that good when it came to actually defending! Add to this what looked like a shaky keeper and you have the reasons why we were victorious and they were not.

LilleSkyBlue

This is true. But the issue here was we gifted the first goal against all run of play to a team devoid of confidence and looking like they were going to roll over. That goal raised them a little but when we gifted another shortly after they were now lifting their heads and raising their shoulders adding a competitive edge to the game. We failed to capitalise on the early chances we had and should have scored from, which would have buried them. We now got sloppy on the ball all over the place. Players must have been wondering where their A game had gone. One of those days when you consistently under hit a pass, the bounce falls kindly to opposition and the wet conditions compound the effects that seemed like a catching disease from one player to the next. As this went on and the hoof balls kept coming in we somehow contrived to give them another goal as we wobbled around in our own penalty box. So we had a mare as a team and even a good goal from Chaplin was ruled offside. Some players pulled it together more some didn't. But it was all too late and gutless. Headless chickens like Thomas, running with no end product, JCH lumbering and lacking energy. Sterling completely all over the place are just some of the days issues. The only ones with some credit would be Chaplin and Doyle who both dug in and stuck to their task. Bayliss was a huge miss so I worry we have not got cover for him. We need Jodi Jones back sooner rather than later. But the day was about the application of the players and they failed to turn up after we went behind. The question is why?

Nice, this is how I saw it.

I don't like JCH leading our line. He simply isn't good enough at scoring, winning headers or running with the ball. When he plays well it's by being physically awkward and going down easily / cannily.

I generally feel confident in Burge but the third goal was NOT a worldie, as I have heard it said. He was left exposed for the second, to be fair to him.

Disappointing match: where are the goals going to come from, dudes?

GaryJones

You missed the game??
You lucky bugger!

thekidfromstrettoncamp

letsallsingtogether your post 534 according to your figures looks as though it's based on 71 games .If that is correct the away side got a result in 42 out of those games a shade under 60% so the home side done worse in the second half without checking back I don't think ours is that good . I stand by what I said . By the way nowhere in my post did I say anything about change of tactics .

Users who are viewing this thread