Match Thread Bristol City V Coventry City (1 Viewer)

Briles

The only worry I have, and it is the only worry, Is a lack of experienced savvy players who know what the championships like. Our average age is probably one of the lowest in the league. Hopefully our winning mentality will compensate for it.

Last edited:

willz121

Bristol City signing Chris Brunt makes me nervous. He always tended to do well against us! If I remember correctly, he scored directly from a corner at the Ricoh when he was at Sheffield Wednesday

lifeskyblue

First league game of season so I won’t read too much into the result win, lose or draw. Bristol City are a decent but not world beating championship side.
On paper I wouldn’t expect a win but always hopeful. In truth I think a draw would be an excellent start to this seasons campaign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paxman II

First league game of season so I won’t read too much into the result win, lose or draw. Bristol City are a decent but not world beating championship side.
On paper I wouldn’t expect a win but always hopeful. In truth I think a draw would be an excellent start to this seasons campaign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'On Paper' I would expect a win!
Please don't big up these average sides. We may win, lose or draw the first few fixtures. What is important to see is how we win,lose or draw that will be the key indicator. I think our squad is strong in depth and a few surprises will come from within. We play a lot of posession football and with that you can't lose too many.

SlowerThanPlatt

'On Paper' I would expect a win!
Please don't big up these average sides. We may win, lose or draw the first few fixtures. What is important to see is how we win,lose or draw that will be the key indicator. I think our squad is strong in depth and a few surprises will come from within. We play a lot of posession football and with that you can't lose too many.

If you think we have a better side on paper words fail me...none of our players would get into their side, our best player last season hasn’t even be able to get in their squad

Ring Of Steel

If you think we have a better side on paper words fail me...none of our players would get into their side, our best player last season hasn’t even be able to get in their squad

I think if the pair of you met somewhere in the middle you're probably about right. I don't see how anyone can "expect" a win tbh, but football is also a bit more complicated than just looking at facts on paper, that ignores the intangibles like team spirit, togetherness, manager decisions, tactics etc. Yep, that only takes you so far and sooner or later you get badly found out if you don't have quality, but at the same time I don't think its as clear cut as just looking at a list of names & deciding we're gonna get smashed. So yeah, we are going into this as underdogs as we will be most games, but I don't see the gap quite as big as some do. Its certainly a game we could win if we're great and they're not quite at it, but who knows, this is without doubt the hardest season to call in my memory.. as the saying goes "we'll know a lot more after 10 games".

Even if we start well, this league is a hell of a slog and I really hope there is something in the kitty for Jan, because we could go from hanging in there to getting cut off pretty quickly in early 2021 if we are going to try and guts our way through with what we have now- even after the positive business we've done so far.

Last edited:

cc84cov

Some people are in for a big wake up Saturday this forum will have its biggest meltdown to date I feel

hopefully I’m wrong and we can nick a draw

fernandopartridge

My worry in playing them is less about quality more about fitness tbh. They've played competitively a lot more recently and I've not been convinced we've been anywhere near the level we were prior to lockdown, in terms of our pressing and closing.
Odds on Sky Bet today
Bristol City 11/10
Draw 5/2
City 12/5
I would have guessed Bristol would be shorter than that...

I think the first few games of the season are usually a bit more open odds wise, they're a good price really

Sky Blue Harry H

His tweet wishing someone else well who has done the same as him doesn't suggest he has done anything else himself. If he had, I would have thought he would have been so gutted by it that he wouldn't have had time/be in the right mindset to be looking at other people's issues.

Last edited:

Gibbo

Brunt? Meh, so what, past his 'sell by'. Shades of Mowbray....And it's the 'other' Sessegnon, so who cares? I would say
  1. First game of the season - anything can happen
  2. We have promotion momentum
  3. But we are missing three key defenders in Dabo, Rose and Sam Mac so a lot relies on Hyam and McFadzean
  4. We have conceded a number of goals in the pre-season games. Can't see us not conceding, and equally, scoring more than one ourselves.
  5. I'd love 1-1, but a narrow defeat with lots of positives would not be as bad as all that.
  6. 1-1 Brilliant, 2-1 not so bad, 3-1 troubling, 4-1 oh cripes.
  7. The Walker-Baka combination late in the game could be one of Robins' big ideas for the coming season
  8. It's more about the team showing it is able to stand toe-to-toe away from home against a side with big cash that should be challenging for the play offs.

Covkid1968#

ioooh.. tickli
There are some fantastic individuals in the championship and some decent teams but I am of the opinion that if we can play the way we do then we have a real chance to do well. We have a winning mentality, are used to to playing in empty stadiums and I wouldn’t be surprised if we tickled the play offs.
[/QUOTE
Oooooh...... tickling the play offs just got a tingle in places I thought had stopped tingling

mr_monkey

Brunt? Meh, so what, past his 'sell by'. Shades of Mowbray....And it's the 'other' Sessegnon, so who cares? I would say
  3. But we are missing three key defenders in Dabo, Rose and Sam Mac so a lot relies on Hyam and McFadzean
  4. We have conceded a number of goals in the pre-season games. Can't see us not conceding, and equally, scoring more than one ourselves.
  5. I'd love 1-1, but a narrow defeat with lots of positives would not be as bad as all that.
  7. The Walker-Baka combination late in the game could be one of Robins' big ideas for the coming season
  8. It's more about the team showing it is able to stand toe-to-toe away from home against a side with big cash that should be challenging for the play offs.

Point 8 is the major one for me, a defeat is probably expected but it's the manner of how we play that is important, if we come away having played well but just been outclassed by a better team then I'll be very happy

Sky Blue Harry H

Did you get out of a different side of bed Gibbo? The other day you 'liked' a post from Sick Boy who said we were in for a shock this season and predicted a 4-1 defeat. I prefer your positive side, mate!

cc84cov

Well seeing as you complain & slate people when we end up winning, god only knows what you'll be like if we lose
I know what’s coming this season son,I’m under no illusion like yourself who don’t get why people think we will struggle,do you even know what teams are in the division ? Do you even know what league we are in ? 🤣🥴

Ring Of Steel

I know what’s coming this season son,I’m under no illusion like yourself who don’t get why people think we will struggle,do you even know what teams are in the division ? Do you even know what league we are in ? 🤣🥴

lol, you don't know though do you, you've proven every match you don't really understand what you're watching & just end up slating Robins telling him to make multiple changes ;)

Philosorapter

I can't argue with that analysis Philosorapter, in fact......I can't understand it (again)!

All the new teams in the Championship are given a 1500 provisional rating whilst the other teams originally in the Championship get a provisional rating corresponding to their previous position.

Provisional ratings last for 12 games whilst the division sorts itself out but you should have some rough idea about team strengths after a couple of games.

The corresponding team strengths should be close to where a team could finish in the league.

1700 - Top 2 contenders
1600 - Play-off contenders
1500 - Mid table
1400 - Relegation battle

cc84cov

lol, you don't know though do you, you've proven every match you don't really understand what you're watching & just end up slating Robins telling him to make multiple changes ;)
Read my posts you thick plum hence also why you pick me up for being negative 🤷🏻‍♂️ I know full well we are fully up against it this season.

Evo1883

I get that teams have a much bigger wage budget than we do, but we can't fear anybody, for 90 minutes if we give everything every match we will be fine.. We play good football and have many players that will keep improving... Have faith

Ring Of Steel

Read my posts you thick plum hence also why you pick me up for being negative 🤷🏻‍♂️ I know full well we are fully up against it this season.

So does virtually everyone? Do you go around excitedly highlighting to everyone that they have one head as well? Everyone knows this.

You seem to take offence at people showing optimism, but look- its the start of the new season, we're in the league above, now come on- drop the constant negativity & going around slating everyone & telling everyone they're in for a "big wake up" and try to enjoy it, at least for 20 mins then feel free to go back to "omg why cant robbins see what i can we need to make changes ffs" ;)

Paxman II

OK so many on here not giving our own team much encouragement. I find that staggering after the very good transfers we have had, MR's ability, confidence in the side and spirit. We were beging to run away with the league last season and we have strengthened really well.

So perhaps then it's time for some honesty and a prediction poll? Put your name on it, then there is no argument. For me I think we will be at least mid table.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Walsh could prove our nemesis for this game, giving them insight into our formation/style of play/potential weaknesses.

Could be telling them to press as Marosi can be a bit too blase with the ball, Fadz can also make a mistake, Dabo being out suggests attack down our right.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

OK so many on here not giving our own team much encouragement. I find that staggering after the very good transfers we have had, MR's ability, confidence in the side and spirit. We were beging to run away with the league last season and we have strengthened really well.

So perhaps then it's time for some honesty and a prediction poll? Put your name on it, then there is no argument. For me I think we will be at least mid table.

Users who are viewing this thread