Match Thread Bristol City V Coventry City (2 Viewers)

clint van damme

Compared to the majority of the teams we played last year they are, but that's to be expected when they have a 8 million pound player in midfield and a 20 million quid ex England squad player in defence

It's not negativity it's realism, anything other than a heavy defeat on Saturday will be a good result

We held our own against the team containing 'the world's best teenager' last season - twice!

ccfcchris

• Both teams have scored in four of the last five league meetings between Bristol City and Coventry.
  • Bristol City are unbeaten in their last four home fixtures.
  • Coventry have scored in each of their last six away matches.
Bristol City should have enough firepower to prevail
Rookie manager Dean Holden has made a decent start in the Bristol City hotseat – steering them to a 2-0 success at home to Exeter in the EFL Cup – and we think he can mastermind a victory over Coventry.

There will be a sense of positivity around the Coventry dressing room with the club preparing for their first second tier fixture since 2011-12.

But the Sky Blues have one of the lowest budgets in the division and have been shopping for bargains in the transfer market.

Coventry aim to continue playing the attacking football which secured the League One title last season and have snapped up pacy forward Tyler Walker from Nottingham Forest.

They should score against Bristol City, who have not kept a clean sheet in their last 16 league fixtures.

But Bristol City have found the net in six of their last seven home games and have added powerful striker Chris Martin, so we think they can sneak a 2-1 success.

shmmeee

Certainly not an easy game. The consensus is that you've recruited well and will do the best of the promoted sides.
Do we expect to win? Not a clue as we have no idea how we will go but would like to get off to a good start.
Most are predicting a narrow home win and, if I'm being honest, I would probably agree although I'm taking nothing for granted.
One thing, you won't go through the Championship season with just 3 defeats, it's a fair bit better than L1.
After Saturday, I'll wish you well for every other game bar one but have no doubt this is a tough but absolutely superb league to be in.

Im currently expecting three wins all season let alone three defeats! Believe me I’m not underestimating the task at hand. We were L2 three years ago!

EAst ender

Im currently expecting three wins all season let alone three defeats! Believe me I’m not underestimating the task at hand. We were L2 three years ago!
A tad negative wtgr. All teams will take the odd beating but you'll do a lot better than you seem to think. You deserve to be here and don't forget that.
One the division settles down, we will all see where we're at.
Watch out for Stoke, I think they will go well this season, along with the obvious ones.
Ourselves? Upper mid table would be my guess, maybe 10th or somewhere around there.

shmmeee

A tad negative wtgr. All teams will take the odd beating but you'll do a lot better than you seem to think. You deserve to be here and don't forget that.
One the division settles down, we will all see where we're at.
Watch out for Stoke, I think they will go well this season, along with the obvious ones.
Ourselves? Upper mid table would be my guess, maybe 10th or somewhere around there.

Just my nature and the result of following City for 30 years! I thought we wouldn’t get promoted all last season until about three games before the end.

Sky Blue Harry H

Just my nature and the result of following City for 30 years! I thought we wouldn’t get promoted all last season until about three games before the end.

Looking back towards the end of that season, those home games at the end v Sunderland, Portsmouth and Rotherham all seemed like nail biters beforehand (and during) and our position regarding play offs/autos etc all seemed on a knife edge. It was great retrospectively, a real nervous tension, that ended with everything going our way.

covcity4life

Looking back towards the end of that season, those home games at the end v Sunderland, Portsmouth and Rotherham all seemed like nail biters beforehand (and during) and our position regarding play offs/autos etc all seemed on a knife edge. It was great retrospectively, a real nervous tension, that ended with everything going our way.
Yeah i never at any point felt we had promotion sewn up.

BornSlippySkyBlue

Yeah i never at any point felt we had promotion sewn up.
Think a few of us were getting to that point, I’d decided that we’d go up just wasn’t convinced we’d win the league. Another 2-3 wins would’ve seen most of us believing I reckon. It’s a good point Harry makes, it was great with the benefit of hindsight, but a bit nerve wracking at the time.

This season will be a piece of piss on the other hand.

Kneeza

In my mind, we were going undefeated until the end of the season. The full unexpurgated season.
I'm not normally quite that positive, but I went to most of the 25 undefeated second division games and was hoping we could at least emulate that. (I know we'd need to avoid defeat on Saturday to do that).

Dependant on Dabo/Rose match fitness I think we could start like this on Saturday, Kelly shown against MK that he brings a certain level of calm to the young midfield. Depending on how the game goes we could switch to 2 up top again, looked effective late on. Godden for now, but needs to STAY ONSIDE!

Marosi
Giles
Fadz
Hyam
Rose
Dabo
Kelly
Hamer
Allen
O'Hare
Godden

Thoughts?

Gosb

Not entirely sure what the substitute rules are, but bench looks like

Wilson
Rose/Ostigard
Dabo/Pask
Sheaf
Shipley/Hilssner
Walker
Bakayoko

Not bad

Not entirely sure what the substitute rules are, but bench looks like

Wilson
Rose/Ostigard
Dabo/Pask
Sheaf
Shipley/Hilssner
Walker
Bakayoko

Not bad
How much game time do we think Hilssner is going to get? We don't really have/play with wingers as such. Dabo and Giles will be doing that job. Unless he's versatile i could see it being frustrating for him.

lifeskyblue

Dependant on Dabo/Rose match fitness I think we could start like this on Saturday, Kelly shown against MK that he brings a certain level of calm to the young midfield. Depending on how the game goes we could switch to 2 up top again, looked effective late on. Godden for now, but needs to STAY ONSIDE!

Marosi
Giles
Fadz
Hyam
Rose
Dabo
Kelly
Hamer
Allen
O'Hare
Godden

Thoughts?

I think Rose and Dabo will start on bench for the first couple games and I would start ostigard and Pask (or possibly Burroughs at Bristol). And I would give Walker the nod over Godden (for his pace) as I think he may be isolated for long periods in the first game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkyblueTexan

Perhaps we could play 2 strikers at times this season (Godden deeper and Walker in a more advanced position) - so as not to isolate 1 striker on his own upfront.

Liquid Gold

I believe promotion after Pompey at home. They’d won something like 13 in a row and we completely matched them then snuck the winner.

Gibbo

Can Ostigaard come stright in? I guess he has to as it is too soon for Rose. Otherwise MK shows where Robins is going

Marosi
Pask-Ostigaard-MacF-Hyam-Giles
Hamer-Kelly (Sheaf for Hamer part way)
O'Hara-Godden-Allen

I'd love to see Baka-Walker up front at some time but not this game.
Result: Anything between a valiant 1-1 draw and a 4-1 thumping. Suspect we will lose narrowly, but I live in hope

Sky Blue Harry H

Can Ostigaard come stright in? I guess he has to as it is too soon for Rose. Otherwise MK shows where Robins is going

Marosi
Pask-Ostigaard-MacF-Hyam-Giles
Hamer-Kelly (Sheaf for Hamer part way)
O'Hara-Godden-Allen

I'd love to see Baka-Walker up front at some time but not this game.
Result: Anything between a valiant 1-1 draw and a 4-1 thumping. Suspect we will lose narrowly, but I live in hope

I would drop Jamie O'Hara (hadn't realised we'd signed him) and stick Callum O'Hare in instead.

shmmeee

I wonder if we won’t end up 532 for some games with Sheaf Kelly and Hamer behind Walker and Godden/Baka.

Not this game, but when everyone’s up to speed.

Users who are viewing this thread