Bradford match thread (1 Viewer)

ccfcway

I could go on but maybe I'm saying things in the heat of the moment because I'm pissed off at having to drive 130 miles back after being let down yet again. Draw a line under it, get 3 quality players in, get us back to the Ricoh and the season could be a lot different!!

1 striker and 1 defender tops

SIR ERNIE

Tbh unless you've a) got the players for it and b) fully understand the ins and outs of the system, 5-3-2 can be a difficult formation to master. It often makes you overly defensive and prevents you from having sustained possession in the oppositions half. It seems today that both our goals came from crosses (a corner and a lump into the box) and not necessarily due to creativity from open play, which is worrying. For me 4-4-2 is the way forward for this group of players.

Why are you worrying? Only last week when I said our squad was woefully weak, you were arguing that we would be fine this season with this group of players.

LJC_CCFC

Why are you worrying? Only last week when I said our squad was woefully weak, you were arguing that we would be fine this season with this group of players.

What I'm saying is that with this current formation, we may struggle to get on the ball as much in attacking areas as we would if we played 4-4-2. We will be fine this season.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Any player ratings from those at the match?

Ok, I'll use my last bit of battery to think of some!

Allsopp 5 - couldn't fault for the goals I don't think (two headers and a pen), although I think if he was commanding his area more, then he'd have been shouting at Clarke to let the ball go out without a touch for the corner that lead to the penalty. If he was shouting, it obviously wasn't loud enough as it was such a soft touch and not needed!!

Clarke 5 - didn't do as well as I'd hoped at RWB. Again, the corner that lead to the penalty was worse than a school bit error. No pressure, and didn't need to touch it at all!

Reda 7 - defended well, handled Bradfords tough play, and got the two goals.

Webster 5 - looking fitter this year, but too many headers went wayward and upwards rather than than having any direction behind them.

Willis 6 - Ok performance, and sometimes was left at the back on his own with counter attacks, and managed to keep most of the counter attacks at bay (not sure if he was involved in the winner??)

Pugh 6 - got forward well, and not helped much when defending.

OBrien 6 - not sure why he was chosen to play as wing back after Clarke went off, but before that tried to get involved, but didn't do anything special. Ran a lot

Swanson 6 - again, didn't do anything special, ran a lot, wasted a good free kick

Thomas 5 - tried to offer help to Pugh but was poor in his tackles

Tudgay 5 - rarely linked up well with McQuoid and doesn't attempt to get any of the in-the-air balls.

McQuoid 7 - I like him. Out of the three strikers, he out himself about, always looking for the ball, played left, right and centre trying to get forward with the ball. Held it up well, quite a decent build. Reminds me of someone, but can't think who. Think his build is a little like Neil Mellor, and has similar facial hair, although I hope he turns out better than him if it is him I'm thinking of as he was shite! :) one positive from today was him imo. And he shown frustration quite a bit when he was having to do everything himself

Fleck 6 - changed our midfield and offered us a bit more when he came on.

Miller 5 - didn't really get into the Game much. Probably see him get a run out Wednesday

Last edited:

SIR ERNIE

What I'm saying is that with this current formation, we may struggle to get on the ball as much in attacking areas as we would if we played 4-4-2. We will be fine this season.

We won't be fine.

'Fine' is top six, pushing for promotion.

In fact 'fine' is promotion.

I suspect your version of 'fine' is avoiding relegation.

woody11462

Just got back to Manchester from the match and the first point I want to make is that it was a mistake playing 3-5-2 today against a physical direct team such as Bradford who played exactly how I expected today, long to Hanson and feed off his touch.

Last season they played this way but due to us having to banks of four, they were pumping the ball in from full back a lot more than they had to today. Although we did fail to deal with the long ball last year, I feel we would have been better prepared to deal with that with Willis/Webster/Johnson/Pugh across the back. But by playing the way we did we allowed them to get in behind the wing backs and cross from a much more dangerous position and two of their goals came from this. Although there are still some silly defensive errors that we can’t carry on committing.

Some of the passing was good today but it wasn’t until the final half hour that we started to try and be a bit more direct in our running from midfield. We can play it about the back three all we want but if you are then gonna play it to Tudgay or McQuoid, it needs to be to feet at least controllable because they are not going to have the same hold up effect that a player like Hanson will.

Id rate the players as follows:

Allsop : 5. Didn’t look to assured in general but did ok as the game went on, don’t think he could have done anything about the goals form where I was sat.

Willis : 5. Some good defensive work, even managed to win a few aerial battles with Hanson. But his passing was poor today which brings his mark down.

Webster : 5. Again nothing of note, lost out to Hanson to easily in the air for me and was surprised that Hanson went out and seemed to play against Willis given the early success he had.

Johnson : 8. Reasonable in defence and some poor passing also but clearly a real threat in the opposition box. Not sure if it was a penalty, will need to see the replay.

Clarke : 4. Wasn’t his best game today, didn’t seem to get forward much and don’t think he was very involved defensively which is a shame because if we continue as 3-5-2 he would be my choice at wing back.

Pugh : 7. Thought that he played ok today. Got forward well, decent delivery of a set piece. Distribution looked confident also.

Thomas : 6. Played pretty well and did the basic stuff. Clearly he has been told to be the player to collect the ball from the back line but too often he had to go straight back to the defence because Bradford had a decent shape and closed down well, better than we did today.

O’Brien : 7. Thought he had a decent game, full of running, more than willing to take the ball from the back line and was looking to turn and progress up the pitch, something we were lacking today. Took a few kicks for his troubles but will be a good addition this year of this performance is anything to go by.

Swanson : 7. Another player that looks good on the ball but wasn’t attack minded enough for me early on in this game. In the last 20 mins he started to look to be a more attacking threat, good with the ball at his feet but just let down by the final ball sometimes.

Tudgay : 6. Had a thankless task today and most of the ball that made their way to him came at head height against two tall strong centre backs. When given the correct service looked to hold the ball up well and try to bring others in.

McQuoid : 5. Started off very brightly, looking to collect the ball and run at their defence but got clattered after about 15 mins and seemed to not be as effective after that.

Subs Fleck looked good when he came on, looked to get involved and try to create chances and had a decent shot near the end then was booked for diving in the box. Miller didn’t have much involvement when he came on.

James Smith

Always annoying to finish work to discover we've been defeated after being level during lunch. It's a disappointing start to the season especially as we looked like starting a competetive fight back. Well one match (hopefully) doesn't define a season and Elvis will find something or someone that works for us.

Last edited:

LJC_CCFC

We won't be fine.

'Fine' is top six, pushing for promotion.

In fact 'fine' is promotion.

I suspect your version of 'fine' is avoiding relegation.

Fine is a mid table finish
Good is the playoffs
Great is promotion
Adequate is bottom half finish
Crap is avoiding relegation

shmmeee

Ok, I'll use my last bit of battery to think of some!

Allsopp 5 - couldn't fault for the goals I don't think (two headers and a pen), although I think if he was commanding his area more, then he'd have been shouting at Clarke to let the ball go out without a touch for the corner that lead to the penalty. If he was shouting, it obviously wasn't loud enough as it was such a soft touch and not needed!!

Clarke 5 - didn't do as well as I'd hoped at RWB. Again, the corner that lead to the penalty was worse than a school bit error. No pressure, and didn't need to touch it at all!

Reda 7 - defended well, handled Bradfords tough play, and got the two goals.

Webster 5 - looking fitter this year, but too many headers went wayward and upwards rather than than having any direction behind them.

Willis 6 - Ok performance, and sometimes was left at the back on his own with counter attacks, and managed to keep most of the counter attacks at bay (not sure if he was involved in the winner??)

Pugh 6 - got forward well, and not helped much when defending.

OBrien 6 - not sure why he was chosen to play as wing back after Clarke went off, but before that tried to get involved, but didn't do anything special

Swanson 6 - again, didn't do anything special, ran a lot, wasted a good free kick

Thomas 5 - tried to offer help to Pugh but was poor in his tackles

Tudgay 5 - rarely linked up well with McQuoid and doesn't attempt to get any of the in-the-air balls.

McQuoid 7 - I like him. Out of the three strikers, he out himself about, always looking for the ball, played left, right and centre trying to get forward with the ball. Held it up well, quite a decent build. Reminds me of someone, but can't think who. Think his build is a little like Neil Mellor, and has similar facial hair, although I hope he turns out better than him if it is him I'm thinking of as he was shite! :) one positive from today was him imo. And he shown frustration quite a bit when he was having to do everything himself

Fleck 6 - changed our midfield and offered us a bit more when he came on.

Miller 5 - didn't really get into the Game much. Probably see him get a run out Wednesday

Great. The one bright spot is the player I've bet against doing well ;)

So do we think Swanson or O'Brien will fill the goal hole left by Moussa and Baker?

shmmeee

Fine is a mid table finish
Good is the playoffs
Great is promotion
Adequate is bottom half finish
Crap is avoiding relegation

Funny one. If it wasn't for the fact were playing at Sixfields in front of 1500 I'd disagree completely.

A club our size, with the squad we had and our fan base, should be pushing for promotion like Sheff Utd and teams like that.

But we've had the size of our club cut in quarter and for where we are now you're probably right.

LJC_CCFC

Funny one. If it wasn't for the fact were playing at Sixfields in front of 1500 I'd disagree completely.

A club our size, with the squad we had and our fan base, should be pushing for promotion like Sheff Utd and teams like that.

But we've had the size of our club cut in quarter and for where we are now you're probably right.

On my scale, it appears we've never had a good season, so perhaps this could be our year...

Kingokings204

Just got back from the long tedious drive home.

Right here we go. Couldn't agree more the 3-5-2 doesn't work. It works for patches of the game but it doesn't act for 90 mins and that's where you get caught.

Exactly same story as last season nothing has chaned except personal. 3 defensive errors equals 3 shit goals. The corner to the penalty was a joke. The penalty looked harsh but he gave the ref a choice to make. No corner no penalty and straight after half time.

Alsopp looks decent good shot stopper but can't command the area at all. 6.

Clarke was useless, wing back not his right position at all tbf. 4

Willis. Ok. Looked bad in a back 3. Needs to be part of a two or right back. 5

Webster looks mean and fit and was ok. Nothing special but solid. 6.

Johnson. Standout player. Physical tough no nonsense. 2 goals and captain. Although penalty error. 9.

Pugh really good. Great engine and definate quality. Much better than Blair Adams. 7.

Thomas. Wank as usual. Lightweight, no pace, no threat, no leeward passes. Subbed off. No more need to say. 2.

Swanson. Looked good. Didn't reat happen today but talented and looks good. 6.

O brien, bar Johnson was our best player. Great engine. Quality and creative with a mean tackle. 8.

Tudgay. Needed it into feet and didn't get it. He looks a class apart to me although no service today. 6.

Mcquiod. Good player. Tried hard. Bit of quality and a nice touch about him. Will get goals. 6.

Subs were ok. Fleck was decent just anyone but fucking Thomas. Miller looked ok but can't judge him in 10 minutes where he didn't get a chance.

Overall very encouraging actually but if we concede 3 a game we have no chance and we will be relegated. Sorry but football is a results business and it's another loss. Simple fact.

Sheffield united next in the league. (Don't care about carling cup) needs to be at the Ricoh and needs to be a win.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I think there are some positives but it was a wake up call. 3 quality additions needed at striker, central midfield and centre back.

Gint11

Coventry city of old should be in the premier league or at worst, top 10 of Championship but we haven't been that coventry city for so long. People really have to open their eyes. We are not as big as we were. We could be again but we are no where near getting that back. The one thing we had that took the club to another level though, was the Ricoh. Regardless of today, we have to get back to the Ricoh and make some money infront of ok to decent crowds. Then the team can get better.

Kingokings204

I think there are some positives but it was a wake up call. 3 quality additions needed at striker, central midfield and centre back.

Couldn't agree more. 1 very good player in cb, cm and fc then it's a good team.

LJC_CCFC

The team can only benefit from Thomas being shown the exit door. He doesn't need time, he is shit and offers nothing

SkyBlue_Bear83

The team can only benefit from Thomas being shown the exit door. He doesn't need time, he is shit and offers nothing

I agree, could be a decent option from the bench. Seems to have good energy so could be good to bring on in the last 10 minutes as fresh legs in midfield.

The way I see it, we need a good striker to partner Mcquiod/Tudgay/Miller. A midfielder to replace Thomas and a centre back to replace one of Webster or Willis.

Kingokings204

Finally I agree with you 100%.

Why can all is fans see it and not the management? I guess it's a cheap quick man to use.

He is the worst centre mid since Michael Doyle.

ccfcway

The way I see it, we need a good striker to partner Mcquiod/Tudgay/Miller. A midfielder to replace Thomas and a centre back to replace one of Webster or Willis.

throw in the fact we have a loanee gk, we need an entire new spine of a team !

Greggs

Mcquoid is fucking useless..................

Kingokings204

Mcquoid is fucking useless..................

I wouldn't go that far. Looked decent to me. Obviously didn't have the best game but showed a nice touch and skill. 1 game. Been here a week. Too soon to judge properly.

Sky Blue Harry H

Conor isn't creative and he doesn't score goals. If you can't do that as a central midfielder then you have to be a sort of 'Gatusso' player (if anyone remembers him) - just someone who tackles and runs all day long, stopping the opposition playing (ah, just remembered - like Lloyd McGrath!). It hasn't been happening for him for a while - and unless he can carry out the latter role, there is little point in picking him.

Greggs

I wouldn't go that far. Looked decent to me. Obviously didn't have the best game but showed a nice touch and skill. 1 game. Been here a week. Too soon to judge properly.

Headless chicken from what i saw today. Picked the ball up in dangerous positions on numerous occasions, just to sprint off out wide with his head down and give the ball away. Maybe we were just spoilt with Wilson and Clarke last year......

sky_blue_up_north

Personally I thought we where pretty poor. I cannot remember a period in the game that we really dominated. We have no natural pace or width in the side, although I thought Fleck coming on made a difference. Totally agree about Johnson he had a great game and natural leader. It's only the first game I hope the team can gel but a big allover improvement will be needed, let's where we are after 10 games.

Greggs

I'm not surprised Conor Thomas looked so poor as the formation and shape was all over the place. Really upset by todays performance, 352 just looked wrong.

Marty

We need a target man, no point playing with wingers if you have 2 strikers in the box no taller then 6'.

Greggs

We need a target man, no point playing with wingers if you have 2 strikers in the box no taller then 6'.

Our 'wingers' were a left back and a right back today. So fucking bizarre.....

Users who are viewing this thread