Bolton Troubles (1 Viewer)

Grendel

Good god, the Administrator that has been appointed to Bolton's case is Paul Appleton.

As if it couldn't get any worse for them.

The company handled the Blackpool process I think as well so it’s a good choice

RoboCCFC90

The company handled the Blackpool process I think as well so it’s a good choice

They (David Rubin & Partners) appear to be trusted in handling administration cases for professional Football clubs, which is promising for Bolton at least.

Hopefully they get the best outcome possible, but a part of me remains sceptical seeing Paul Appleton's name associated with the case.

fernandopartridge

They (David Rubin & Partners) appear to be trusted in handling administration cases for professional Football clubs, which is promising for Bolton at least.

Hopefully they get the best outcome possible, but a part of me remains sceptical seeing Paul Appleton's name associated with the case.
What was it he did wrong with the CCFC administration? Or is it just another pantomime villain

tisza

What was it he did wrong with the CCFC administration? Or is it just another pantomime villain
Did he ever release a full report on the admin or the one on directors and ex-directors activities?
Main gripe at the time was he ruled out other bids as Otium were threatening legal action if he accepted an alternative offer.

Nick

Administrator
Did he ever release a full report on the admin or the one on directors and ex-directors activities?
Main gripe at the time was he ruled out other bids as Otium were threatening legal action if he accepted an alternative offer.

The gripe was that ACL had Haskell lined up and they didn't expect SISU to have engineered it so that the other bids didn't matter anyway. That's why people were outraged and people like PWKH getting everybody worked up.

The anger came from ACL pushing Haskell as the new owner in the media beforehand, then it didn't happen.

SBAndy

Is that so? Can’t imagine that would be correct but if there’s evidence I’m happy to learn more.

The administrators’ job is to ensure the creditors receive as much of their accrued debt as possible. Being as the overwhelming portion of debt was effectively owed to another SISU company, it put them in pole position to offer a higher percentage settlement of the debts than any external party. That’s the way I’ve always read it and a re-sale to a SISU company was inevitable due to the lack of other creditors involved.

chiefdave

Is that so? Can’t imagine that would be correct but if there’s evidence I’m happy to learn more.
No it’s not.

From memory it was something like ACL thought they were being clever and could get Haskell in as a new owner but it turned out assets that constitute the football club, things like the golden share that was ‘lost’ and player registrations, were in another company.

Buying the company that was in admin wouldn’t make you the owner of CCFC so the bidders pulled out.

Nick

Administrator
No it’s not.

From memory it was something like ACL thought they were being clever and could get Haskell in as a new owner but it turned out assets that constitute the football club, things like the golden share that was ‘lost’ and player registrations, were in another company.

Buying the company that was in admin wouldn’t make you the owner of CCFC so the bidders pulled out.

Exactly, step up PR companies, Sky Blue Trust and Telegraph to make everybody angry because it backfired on them.

Just seen that Bolton have now had to get an emergency foodbank for members of staff who haven't been paid, people always think about the players but the normal everyday staff who won't have been paid will be struggling.

chiefdave

Just seen that Bolton have now had to get an emergency foodbank for members of staff who haven't been paid, people always think about the players but the normal everyday staff who won't have been paid will be struggling.
Apparently Everton have sent money to cover a weeks wages for the staff not getting paid. Liverpool, Leeds, Huddersfield and Blackpool also reported to have assisted financially.

oucho

Bizarre statement from Appleton today, accusing the players' statement yesterday of being "littered with factual inaccuracies" and that they're not in real hardship / should think themselves lucky, "they have no appreciation of what's going on" etc. Strange thing to see from a court-appointed administrator - came across like he was rattled by the call-off of their game today and was writing the statement in a fit of annoyance.

Covstu

Bizarre statement from Appleton today, accusing the players' statement yesterday of being "littered with factual inaccuracies" and that they're not in real hardship / should think themselves lucky, "they have no appreciation of what's going on" etc. Strange thing to see from a court-appointed administrator - came across like he was rattled by the call-off of their game today and was writing the statement in a fit of annoyance.
Taking it a bit personally isn’t he!?

no_loyalty

Just cancelled their next friendly against Preston, scheduled for Tuesday night.

Terry Gibson's perm

I am sure he will get paid, I haven’t read it but I take it he corrected the bits he didn’t like in the statement

robbiekeane

Surely not paying them is a breach of contract and so they can leave on a free. Would be astounded if that isn’t the case

chiefdave

On what basis can they refuse to let the. Leave if they haven’t been paid? Surely as soon as you don’t pay its beach of contract and they can walk.

rd45

On what basis can they refuse to let the. Leave if they haven’t been paid? Surely as soon as you don’t pay its beach of contract and they can walk.

Seems like an obvious breach of contract. But I guess from the administrator’s point of view, players under contract are valuable assets that belong to the club. If they walk now, there’s even less for the creditors to pick over.

Even selling them at a fair price - much less letting them walk - essentially kills any chance that the club can fulfil their fixtures, given the size of their squad. So they’re basically trapped there until the admin process is done.

I’d very happily take Oztumer on a free once they finally go belly up.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Seems like an obvious breach of contract. But I guess from the administrator’s point of view, players under contract are valuable assets that belong to the club. If they walk now, there’s even less for the creditors to pick over.

That's of no consequence though. He has no legal authority to refuse - there has been a breach of contract and thus the contract is voidable. He can take it to court if he likes but he knows there is almost no chance he'll win. In which case he's just cost the club more money in legal fees and reduced the amount creditors will get even more.

rd45

He can take it to court if he likes but he knows there is almost no chance he'll win.
I expect he probably would win in fact - getting paid for your services is quite well established in contract law - but I think the bet that the administrator is making is that it would take too long.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I expect he probably would win in fact - getting paid for your services is quite well established in contract law - but I think the bet that the administrator is making is that it would take too long.

Explain.

It will be written in the players contracts they will receive £x paid on nth of the month from the club for their services. The club have not paid this. Not just once but for five months apparently. This is a breach of the contract and thus renders it voidable at the behest of the player, probably including them having to give notice of them doing so.

It has been a theoretical argument as to whether a player could just hand in their notice and just leave regardless - the issue being the fixed term nature of the contract. Why footballers couldn't in a situation where they haven't even been paid would be a very eye-opening interpretation of both contract and employment law.

Grendel

Terry Gibson's perm

Still love how everybody gets wound up because acl thought they were going to take over and it backfired.

I wouldn’t say wound up Nick he is a parasite most administrators are (my brother is one). Do you think he would be taking this long if he wasn’t getting paid if the administration team got paid it would be interesting.

Terry Gibson's perm

He acted entirely correctly as he’s doing now.

Ask the players who haven’t been paid and are trying to get released if they think it is correct it will be interesting to see if the pfa get them released.

skyblue1991

Can't even buy season tickets yet or any game for that matter. Even their away game next weekend against Wycombe isn't on their website.

Could be an interesting week to see if they even start the season!

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Grendel

Ask the players who haven’t been paid and are trying to get released if they think it is correct it will be interesting to see if the pfa get them released.

The club have to have some form of squad - it’s already far too light on players

The admin team have to try and sell the club - it’s options seem limited to one party and if the can’t sell within a week it’s unlikely the club can survive

Users who are viewing this thread