Transfer Rumour Bobby Thomas (3 Viewers)

Mucca Mad Boys

The loans add extra quality and we would be missing out compared to on our rivals not to take advantage of those opportunities. Apart from Hamer, and to a lesser extent Bidwell and Palmer, virtually all our best players in recent years have at least started as loans. We wouldn't have become a top Championship side without players like Gyokeres, O'Hare, Sheaf, Doyle and McNally.

I agree with you, but the loan market is there to supplement your squad rather than to plug gaps. COH is a case in point - he wasn’t brought in as a starter initially and worked his way into the team to be a key play and permanent player for us.

The priority from Robins, Boddy and King that we need to own our players rather than loan them.

Finham

I agree with you, but the loan market is there to supplement your squad rather than to plug gaps. COH is a case in point - he wasn’t brought in as a starter initially and worked his way into the team to be a key play and permanent player for us.

The priority from Robins, Boddy and King that we need to own our players rather than loan them.
Indeed, if your model of making money by signing low and selling for big bucks is to work, it relies upon it.

Hincha

Under the last ownership we would have loaned in Thomas after learning his price, raised his value over the season with Adi's coaching, and watched him go to a side better off next season (see Ostigard, JCS, McNally*).

We will still need the loan market but hopefully only for more unattainable players (like Maatsen & Doyle).

*FWIW I think we will still sign McNally, but we could have got him for £2m last summer and will have to pay double now due to a successful loan with us.

mmttww

We will still need the loan market but hopefully only for more unattainable players (like Maatsen & Doyle).
Good point. If we move to a place where we use loans for players unattainable to most in the League, and spend £2m on a promising player, that's a step fwd.

Instead of loaning a player of McNally's level, we're buying one. Save loans for something exceptional instead of plugging gaps like we had to so much last season.

Last edited:

JimmyHillsbeard

*FWIW I think we will still sign McNally, but we could have got him for £2m last summer and will have to pay double now due to a successful loan with us.

We couldn’t afford his wages last summer.

I suspect that our interest in BobThom is a sign that that ship has sailed now anyway.

JimmyHillsbeard

Nah the third one was a Atkinson signing, surely? Think the other two had returned to the lower leagues where they belonged by then?

Yep you’re right signed in summer ‘95. Booby Goulash’s two Paul Williams played a total of 10 games between them (9+1).

sylus

I feel spending close To £2M on him is a massive gamble when we hardy know anything about him, i see Burnley were quick to offer him as part of the Hamer deal along side Mcnally, if true, and suddenly we are making an offer on him, rather we had Mcnally, this Thomas guy could be shit.

Deity

I feel spending close To £2M on him is a massive gamble when we hardy know anything about him, i see Burnley were quick to offer him as part of the Hamer deal along side Mcnally, if true, and suddenly we are making an offer on him, rather we had Mcnally, this Thomas guy could be shit.
I think you mean that YOU know nothing about him. That doesn’t mean that our scouts know nothing about him.

we have clearly watched Barnsley a lot based on signing Collins and rumours linking us ton2 other players …

Hincha

I'm sure our Recruitment team know plenty about him.

fatso

I agree it's a big gamble, 2 million is a lot of money by our standard, especially as he's totally untested above league 1 .
however, i'm happy he's here, and I trust that we've done our homework on him, it could prove to be a brilliant piece of business or a complete disaster, time will tell.

In the history of the club, have we ever paid as much money for a player who's never played above league 1.

Last edited:

procdoc

I agree it's a big gamble, 2 million is a lot of money by our standard, especially as he's totally untested above league 1 .
however, i'm happy he's here, and I trust that we've done our homework on him, it could prove to be a brilliant piece of business or a complete disaster, time will tell.

In the history of the club, have we ever paid as much money for a player who's never played above league 1.
Literally every transfer is a gamble

fatso

I'm sure our Recruitment team know plenty about him.
No doubt, As they did with Kastaneer, Reid, Dacosta, Dinanger, Walker etc.

Some you win, some you lose, but the more you invest in a player, the greater the risk.

We've never payed so much for a player who's only ever appeared for 1 season in the third teir, so we simply have to get this one right.

On the plus side, I could never see us paying that kind of money for this kind of player under SISU.

Matt smith

McNally hadnt played higher than league one before us had he?

This guy will be class

SBAndy

No doubt, As they did with Kastaneer, Reid, Dacosta, Dinanger, Walker etc.

Some you win, some you lose, but the more you invest in a player, the greater the risk.

We've never payed so much for a player who's only ever appeared for 1 season in the third teir, so we simply have to get this one right.

On the plus side, I could never see us paying that kind of money for this kind of player under SISU.

On the flip side, spending more is usually an indicator of quality and has proven to be far lower risk than trying to find freebies on the continent.

fatso

Thomas will be a great addition who perfectly fits our recruitment model.

don’t moan about needing our own players and then moan at the price of up and coming promising defenders, that’s what they cost
Again I'll ask, who's moaning???
Show me 1 post where I've moaned about needing our own players, just 1, expressing shock about a valuation is NOT moaning.

How much did we pay for Latibeaudiere or Dasilva? When has MR ever paid £2m for a defender?

skybluelee

Show me 1 post where I've moaned about needing our own players, just 1, expressing shock about a valuation is NOT moaning.

How much did we pay for Latibeaudiere or Dasilva? When has MR ever paid £2m for a defender?
He hadn't spent £2m on anybody until this summer. It's almost as if selling a player for £20m gives you more options in the market...

Balli001

I answered the 2 mil question before but shockingly you chose to ignore it. He hasn't spent it because he hadn't had the opportunity to. I'll ask you if we paid 2 mil for latibeaudiere and 500k for thomas would you even be questioning it?

Manchester_sky_blue

We haven't paid £2 million for a defender before because we've never been able to afford the kind of defenders who cost £2 million.........

Matt smith

I didn’t mean you specifically, I meant generally.

whenever we sign players it’s always ‘that’s too much’

it’s not our money for one and two, trust the manager

TomRad85

let it go GIF

Users who are viewing this thread