Bob Mortimer (1 Viewer)

Otis

You’re dead inside Otis. It’s the only explanation:)
Ha!

It's the dressing up. As soon as I see that and the cheap laugh it is intended to bring, that immediately puts me off right from the start.

Straight away puts me on the wrong foot.

Otis

I watch Taskmaster and have noticed that every week the audience is laughing at Phil Wang's outfit and did so last series too with Tim Vine's outfit.

Rate both comedians but never even smiled at that attempt at comedy once.

skybluetony176

Ha!

It's the dressing up. As soon as I see that and the cheap laugh it is intended to bring, that immediately puts me off right from the start.

Straight away puts me on the wrong foot.

It’s about surrealism. It’s more than fancy dress. I guess it’s one of those things you either get or you don’t. I still say you’re dead inside. What’s that Russian wife of yours slipping in your tea ;)

Otis

I see it as just dressing up thinking they will get a laugh because they have donned silly costumes.

If you do surreal you need to make it funny, as with Monty Python, or Eddie Izzard, or Spike Milligan.

I know it's not the same level, but in My Family they just had Kris Marshall stick on a ridiculous outfit for a cheap laugh every week.

I do also need to point you in the direction of the forums out there dedicated to the notion that Bob Mortimer is funny and Vic Reeves is not funny at all. ;)

vow

I know it's not the same level, but in My Family they just had Kris Marshall stick on a ridiculous outfit for a cheap laugh every week.
Whoa there....wait....My Family actually got a laugh, albeit a cheap one?!?!

It's on a par for unfunniest program with Mrs Brown's Boys.

Otis

Whoa there....wait....My Family actually got a laugh, albeit a cheap one?!?!

It's on a par for unfunniest program with Mrs Brown's Boys.
No, agree.

I am merely saying they went for the cheap laugh there every week. It was a dreadfully unfunny programme. Terrible and I hated Kris Marshall just walking in wearing a frog suit or silly hat and tutu.

Never ever laughed or smiled once.

And agree on Mrs. Brown's Boys.

For what it's worth, my sort of humour is the Marx Brothers, Hope and Crosby, Woody Allen, Monty Python, Not the Nine O'clock News, Porridge, Likely Lads, Peter Cook and Dudley Moore, Morecambe and Wise, Men Behaving Badly, Eddie Izzard, James Acaster and so much more too of course.

For me it is about the dialogue and quality of the sketch or script and so much less about dressing up to look silly to obtain a laugh.

I find Bob Mortimer funny by himself because it is all just about him talking and saying very funny stuff and he's just himself and is not dressing up for a laugh. He doesn't need to do it because he is a very funny man anyway.

It's all about personal taste anyway and one man's meat is another's poison.

Harry Hill is quite surreal, but I have never found anything he has ever done remotely funny. Eddie Izzard is really surreal and I love nearly all the stuff he ever does.

'This one is wet, this one is wet...' One of the funniest sketches ever.

Reactions: vow

vow

No, agree.

I am merely saying they went for the cheap laugh there every week. It was a dreadfully unfunny programme. Terrible and I hated Kris Marshall just walking in wearing a frog suit or silly hat and tutu.

Never ever laughed or smiled once.

And agree on Mrs. Brown's Boys.

For what it's worth, my sort of humour is the Marx Brothers, Hope and Crosby, Woody Allen, Monty Python, Not the Nine O'clock News, Porridge, Likely Lads, Peter Cook and Dudley Moore, Morecambe and Wise, Men Behaving Badly, Eddie Izzard, James Acaster and so much more too of course.

For me it is about the dialogue and quality of the sketch or script and so much less about dressing up to look silly to obtain a laugh.

I find Bob Mortimer funny by himself because it is all just about him talking and saying very funny stuff and he's just himself and is not dressing up for a laugh. He doesn't need to do it because he is a very funny man anyway.

It's all about personal taste anyway and one man's meat is another's poison.

Harry Hill is quite surreal, but I have never found anything he has ever done remotely funny. Eddie Izzard is really surreal and I love nearly all the stuff he ever does.

'This one is wet, this one is wet...' One of the funniest sketches ever.
I wasn't having a go, just reaffirming what you wrote ol' bean. :pompus:

Used to love "Vic Reeves Big Night Out" but after watching a couple on Gold recently didn't find it as funny as I used too, sadly.
However, Bob's characters did still make me smile, Wavy Davey and Graham Lister being my faves!

Oh and Les for his fear of the soil that the chives grew in.

NorthernWisdom

Used to love "Vic Reeves Big Night Out" but after watching a couple on Gold recently didn't find it as funny as I used too, sadly.
Comedy tends to age more than other forms, anyway.

FWIW, think Bob Mortimer's better when he freestyles. When it's scripted it seems mannered and too much attention for attention's sake. When he adlibs and improvises he seems to keep it in check and 'believable'.

(House of Fools should be drowned at sea, too!)

Captain Dart

Yeah, with Vic, Bob and Matt Berry it promised so much but delivered utter bilge. Gave up after 2 episodes. Mind you Berry's "Toast" is excellent and some of the music interludes are rather good.

chiefdave

Yeah, with Vic, Bob and Matt Berry it promised so much but delivered utter bilge. Gave up after 2 episodes. Mind you Berry's "Toast" is excellent and some of the music interludes are rather good.
Toast is brilliant, although probably not for everyone.

Sky Blue Harry H

I love WILTY, and am constantly amazed at all the weird stuff Lee Mack, and Bob Mortimer have got up to over the years. Some of the tales that are true on there relating to these two, in particular,are incredible (and funny). Bob Mortimer cutting footie fans hair for the price of an egg sandwich at the World Cup, Lee Mack turning up at a televised show (before he was famous) with a fake broken arm, so that he didn't have to perform as a (juggler? - can't remember, but they showed a clip on WILTY), W]which he'd lied about and was why he'd been invited. Guinness book of records for bullseyes at darts etc etc. Amazing characters

ajsccfc

I thought House of Fools was great, but I found myself trying too much to enjoy the Big Night Out revival. They've done a series of it now so I'm cautiously looking forward to it.

tommydazzle

Vic Reeves had a radio comedy (love radio comedy - a lot of tv shows start out on radio) can't remember what it was called but it was absolutely terrible.

I am a sucker for stupid catch phrases though. Don't know why but I always laughed at Vic and Bob's, "you wouldn't let it lie."

Also "moon on a stick' from 'Fist of Fun'.

Otis

Vic Reeves had a radio comedy (love radio comedy - a lot of tv shows start out on radio) can't remember what it was called but it was absolutely terrible.

I am a sucker for stupid catch phrases though. Don't know why but I always laughed at Vic and Bob's, "you wouldn't let it lie."

Also "moon on a stick' from 'Fist of Fun'.
Ah, see, on the whole I really dislike catchphrases.

It's why I dislike Dad's Army and Hi Di Hi and Are you being Served etc.

Again, I always think it's just cheap joke.

I love Morecambe and Wise, but grew a bit tired of the same wig joke every week.

fellatio_Martinez

I hate most people but love Bob Mortimer.

I can't think of another comedian that catches me off guard as much as him. You just never know what he'll come out with but it's consistently funny and really imaginative. The Chris Rea egg bath story is something only Bob could come up with.

I think Vic steers that ship into more surreal waters which can be hit and miss at times but they've always had that side to them.

Reactions: vow

vow

Agree unfortunately, as it promised so much with the talent involved, including Morgana Robinson of The Morgana Show, which was funny for the most part.

ajsccfc

Anyone watch the fishing show he did with Paul Whitehouse? I enjoyed it but found myself liking Whitehouse less than I did before.

ovduk78

Anyone watch the fishing show he did with Paul Whitehouse? I enjoyed it but found myself liking Whitehouse less than I did before.
I watched the last couple and I thought Paul Whitehouse was always trying to be funny whereas Bob Mortimer was naturally funny.

ajsccfc

It was odd, I couldn't decide whether he was playing the grumpy role or he was just actually trying to make a show about fishing

Otis

I sort of like Paul Whitehouse, but always preferred his funnier, younger brother, Amy if the truth be known.

ovduk78

It was odd, I couldn't decide whether he was playing the grumpy role or he was just actually trying to make a show about fishing
He was deadly serious about the fishing and was a bit grumpy that Bob was taking a more lighthearted approach to it. As someone who doesn't see the attraction of fishing I enjoyed Bob's similar bemusement of it, much to Paul's chagrin

Otis

People don't say 'chargrin' enough these days.

It's the same with 'buttocks' and 'how now brown cow'.

fellatio_Martinez

The fishing show is like an unscripted version of The Trip.

It's pleasant and heartfelt but I think it's far too morbid for it's own good sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread