Blog post about CCFC from a Luton fan (1 Viewer)

Sick Boy

My boss is a Northampton fan, he always bangs on about what an incredible achievement it is for us to have had such a long run of top flight football.

Should I correct him and point out his team has been far more successful?

As does a lot of other fans.

The idiots who complain seem to suggest that they'd swap our history for a top 6 finish in league 2.

Samo

As does a lot of other fans.

The idiots who complain seem to suggest that they'd swap our history for a top 6 finish in league 2.

Who suggested that? Let's see a quote.

Sick Boy

Who suggested that? Let's see a quote.

It's what is implied.

There is no sense of pride or happiness in what we achieved as a club. Instead people bang on about not being promoted from a lower league. Where is the sense in that?

I am proud of our history and wouldn't swap places with any of the other clubs who have achieved promotion but haven't had our history in the top division.

It's just a chance to moan and berate the club as usual

skybluetony176

It's what is implied.

There is no sense of pride or happiness in what we achieved as a club. Instead people bang on about not being promoted from a lower league. Where is the sense in that?

I am proud of our history and wouldn't swap places with any of the other clubs who have achieved promotion but haven't had our history in the top division.

You really shouldn't let your imagination run away with you. You've been doing that a lot lately. Nobody has implied that at all.

Samo

It's what is implied.

I too am proud of our history and certainly would not swap places with anyone. We are just overdue a little excitement or even a flirtation with a top half is all.

stupot07

OK have it your way... you think its a good thing that we've had one top 7 finish in 45 years?

But for 2/3rds of that time we were in the top flight. I would rather have 30+ years in the top flight than a top 6 finish in league two.

I'm happy to moan about not seriously competing for top 6 in the last 12-13 seasons, but let's not moan about being in the top flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

rob9872

I echo lots of the above and I too wouldn't swap, but where do the next generation come from?

Samo

But for 2/3rds of that time we were in the top flight. I would rather have 30+ years in the top flight than a top 6 finish in league two.

I'm happy to moan about not seriously competing for top 6 in the last 12-13 seasons, but let's not moan about being in the top flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

That is a fair comment, no argument here.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Why does everything have to be so fucking black & white on here? Yes it was great that we stayed in the top flight for all those years. No it's not good that we haven't had a top 6 finish in 45 years. Simple really.

The last 14 years have been pretty shit. The 34 before that was the most successful period in our history. Simple really.

SlowerThanPlatt

So what we are saying here is that if we are where we are today but had the success of the last 45 years of;

Crewe
Scunthorpe
Rochdale
Northampton
Bradford
Luton
Carlisle

To name but a handful our attendances would be higher.

I can't also remember people wanting the team relegated from the top flight so they could get really excited about perhaps finishing 6th in a inferior division the next year.

There is some tripe posted on here but this thread takes it to new levels.

Christ I wish I was a Crewe fan - those top 6 finishes.

No one has said that Grendel. No one would swap history with the teams mentioned.

Forget the Premier League, we've been out of it for 15 years. We have been in the Championship and League One for the last 15 years and still haven't had a top 6 finish. You take the Premier League years away and we still top the 'years since a top 6 finish' table.

Winning in ANY division = more fans, simple as.

Losing more games than you win EVERY YEAR = less fans.

Kids like winning. That's why they are attracted to United, Chelsea and even bloody Man City (would you really have seen a kid in Cov wear a Man City shirt 10 years ago?)CCFC don't win. How many seasons have we won more games than we've lost?

SkyBlue_Bear83

No one has said that Grendel. No one would swap history with the teams mentioned.

Forget the Premier League, we've been out of it for 15 years. We have been in the Championship and League One for the last 15 years and still haven't had a top 6 finish. You take the Premier League years away and we still top the 'years since a top 6 finish' table.

Winning in ANY division = more fans, simple as.

Losing more games than you win EVERY YEAR = less fans.

Kids like winning. That's why they are attracted to United, Chelsea and even bloody Man City (would you really have seen a kid in Cov wear a Man City shirt 10 years ago?)CCFC don't win. How many seasons have we won more games than we've lost?
Yea, that is fair enough to complain about how shit it has been over the last 15 years. Just don't include the 30 years before that as it makes your argument weak.

SlowerThanPlatt

For me - you'd have to look at the JPT attendances to see how much CCFC fans crave some form of success.

Area final Leeds v Carlisle 2010 13,000

Area final Huddersfield v Carlisle 6,000 2011

Area final Coventry v Crewe 31,000 2012

Area final Swindon v Peterborough 6,000 2013

Area final Bristol City v Gillingham (Bristol City already 4-2 up) 8,000 2014

Hobo

So what we are saying here is that if we are where we are today but had the success of the last 45 years of;

Crewe
Scunthorpe
Rochdale
Northampton
Bradford
Luton
Carlisle

I can't also remember people wanting the team relegated from the top flight so they could get really excited about perhaps finishing 6th in a inferior division the next year.

I think the real disappointment, is having had the great achievement of surviving in top flight for thirty years, is how ineffective we have been in the Championship and League 1 since. We could not have got closer to League 2 without being relegated. It is time and overdue that we at least flirted with a top 6 finish.

Houdi

The fact that we haven't had a top 6 place for over 45, years and lets be honest most of those we haven't even been close to a top 6 place is an utter embarrassment. You would probably be hard pressed to find another team in any sport in the world with such an awful record.
During our long period of seasons in the top flight there were many seasons and games when Highfield Road was more than half empty. Gates of 8,000/9,000 were quite regular. Even during the 1987 season gates were often quite low.The week before we played Sheff Wed in the Q/F ,we played them at home in the league, and there were less there than went to Hillsborough a week later.
Finishing 17th in the top flight maybe more meritorious, than winning Division 1 but it would be the latter that would genuinely excite the fans.A sold out Ricoh Arena for the so called tinpot JPT area final showed only too clearly that fans crave success/victories at whatever level.
I can clearly remember a MOTD a few years back, where Burnley fans were streaming out of Turf Moor on going 3/4? down against I think Man City halfway through the first half. Playing in the Premiership was scant consolation to their fans, as they were being given a footballing lesson.
Football is a tribal sport, where fans overwhelmingly are partisan, fans want to be entertained but above all else they want their team to win.

covcity4life

Crewe
Scunthorpe
Rochdale
Northampton
Bradford
Luton
Carlisle

You really are a dumb shit. Troll nothing more

What people are saying is we havnt enjoyed a winnibg team before like others have. Noone ever said that Northampton have had it better than us.

We are not the worst of fans in thr word. But boy have we been thru sum shit without ever being close to top of s table and winning lots of games.

So shit your mouth and don't reply because you now know your role you roodypoo candy ass

Astute

But we had a top 7 finish - so let's make the benchmark 6 even though it's irrelevant in the league we were in for 75% of the time.

Top 6 in the Prem is a place in Europe. Top 6 in the two divisions below is promotion or playoffs.

So what is 7th worth?

letsallsingtogether

No.

WE ARE THE MOST HARD DONE BY AND THE BEST FANS

Not according to you and others on here we should just be happy with a mid table finish because our fans are shit.
Then again a mid table finish would be a first for a while......

I suppose we need to keep building the team so we can maybe push for the top.

PUSB

Last edited:

letsallsingtogether

Precisely. The top 6 argument is a joke. Teams like Stoke and West Brom will not care if they don't have a top 6 finish for the next 50 years providing they remain in the premiership. If we were still there it would never get mentioned.

But you need to have a top 6 finish and promotion to get there first.
They have had there fair share of success when it comes to that, these are teams that are realistically no bigger then us.

And yes I would be happy with that as that is all we are doing at the moment in this shit league.
So what you are saying is that you are happy with just surviving in this league.

Gazolba

Actually we have had some success in the past 45 years, for instance we won the FA Cup in 1987. We have also had some fairly recent really good runs in the league. The problem is that whenever we do that, we either get rid of the manager or our top scorers. In general, with a few exceptions, we have had the most incompetent management it is possible to imagine.

Sick Boy

So it would have been better to have been a yo yo team between the top division and the one below?

Are some really complaining that we didnt finish in the top 6 in the Premier League?

KG7

The club who has had to wait the next longest for a top six finish (after our 45 years) is Fulham who have had to wait since 2001 - 14 years and Portsmouth, who have had to wait since 2002 - 13 years. Whilst I agree that we had it good in the Premier League I would happily have gone down a couple of seasons earlier to swap these seasons for a successful season in the league below and get back up there. I think a top six finish in any league will do us the world of good and help to change our belief in the team. It's because we haven't had a successful run for forty odd years that when an eighteen year old gets injured we all freak the fuck out. This has become a stat that Cov fans are strangely proud of and the team needs to address it so that it doesn't become an albatross. The saving grace for me is look what happened when we broke our stat of never getting relegated from the premier league...we quickly went down again. Let's hope we do the same in reverse by breaking this stat!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

skybluetony176

The truth is that when we were sitting in the premier league the stat was unimportant however we now need at least two top six finishes to get back to that point so stats like this come into play. It's a hoodoo we need to break so it's going to get mentioned. It's that simple.

hill83

Not according to you and others on here we should just be happy with a mid table finish because our fans are shit.
Then again a mid table finish would be a first for a while......

I suppose we need to keep building the team so we can maybe push for the top.

PUSB

A mid table finish would be progress to be fair.

Our fans are brilliant. The ones who turn up. The rest are shit.

And before people that don't go get offended and start crying, I classed myself as a shit fan last season when I didn't turn up. Take some responsibility for your own actions.

Edit: People that physically can't go don't count. They are still brilliant. Unless they pretend the reason is morals or some bollocks on here.

Last edited:

chiefdave

There's no doubting 34 years in the top division is a fantastic achievement but we're at a point now where a decent percentage of our fanbase weren't around then. In some ways its like a run of 9 draws, win the next game and you're unbeaten in 10 and pretty happy, lose and you haven't won in 10 and you're not so cheerful.

The fans are desperate for success, you only have to look at the response to things like the JPT match against Crewe to see that.

Football is essentially a leisure activity and in return for your time and money you should get some enjoyment. It seems pretty much everyone other than us has had the enjoyment of a successful season in recent years.

The club who has had to wait the next longest for a top six finish (after our 45 years) is Fulham who have had to wait since 2001 - 14 years and Portsmouth, who have had to wait since 2002 - 13 years.

And of course in 2009/10 Fulham played in Europe and reached the Europa final.

As for Pompey, 2007/08 they won the FA Cup and went into Eurpoe, including playing AC Milan at Fraton Park and another FA Cup final in 2009/10.

Grendel

You really are a dumb shit. Troll nothing more

What people are saying is we havnt enjoyed a winnibg team before like others have. Noone ever said that Northampton have had it better than us.

We are not the worst of fans in thr word. But boy have we been thru sum shit without ever being close to top of s table and winning lots of games.

So shit your mouth and don't reply because you now know your role you roodypoo candy ass

Get an education before posting on here again.

Juvenile, illiterate twaddle

Grendel

Top 6 in the Prem is a place in Europe. Top 6 in the two divisions below is promotion or playoffs.

So what is 7th worth?

Europe 90% of the time.

ajsccfc

If we do get a top six finish now, the downside is that we'll lose what's basically our only trivia claim to fame at the moment.

Houdi

So it would have been better to have been a yo yo team between the top division and the one below?

Are some really complaining that we didnt finish in the top 6 in the Premier League?

Yes!!
Before the Premier League provincial clubs were able to win the old Division 1,clubs like Notts Forest, Derby and Villa won titles,it wasn't always the same few teams like today. Back in the 1970's a relatively small club Ipswich under Bobby Robson were always challenging near the top, Norwich had top 6 finishes, even Wimbledon who had gates of 1 man and his dog were regularly well above us often towards the top.. It is only in the last few seasons that the top 6 has become a relative closed shop.
You tell any non Coventry fan our record, and they always look at you with utter disbelief. As it says at White Hart Lane ,football is about glory, the average fan doesn't really care about balance sheets or P& L accounts,even if they probably should. Our record is so bad its off the richter scale.

ajsccfc

It's a perverse badge of honour. Without it, all we can do is get people to remember the brown kit.

Users who are viewing this thread