Blog post about CCFC from a Luton fan (1 Viewer)

SlowerThanPlatt

Say that but imagine being a west brom fan and getting to the start of every season with zero anticipation you aren't going to sign anyone massively exciting, you aren't going to get anywhere near europe and you aren't going to be relegated. Football is an entertainment industry, you have no points in the season where you have any level of anticipation. I was born in 1991 so realistically i've had it pretty bad as a coventry fan, the stand out moment was being at white hart lane on the last day of the season when we stayed up. I can sit down and say to people i was at that game i witnessed it, what to west brom fans do? I was at stoke last week and watched us lose 3-0 and next week i watched us beat swansea 1-0, but nobody cares because their season is a foregone conclusion

Think it's the year WBA go down tbh. All the promoted teams look like they'll be putting up a bit of a fight this year.

ms639

why is 17th in the prem better than winning the championship though, the result is a place in next years premier league but you have had a season of watching your team win games that's what we all turn up for, there's a reason that the teams who go up from the championship have a higher average attendance than clubs who get relegated from the premier league......

ajsccfc

If I can tell a West Brom fan that I was there as Doncaster beat us 2-0 but nobody gave a shit as we both went down, I'd happily swap places as they roll quietly to a mid-table finish instead.

I'd kill for some crushing mediocrity and stability.

ms639

If I can tell a West Brom fan that I was there as Doncaster beat us 2-0 but nobody gave a shit as we both went down, I'd happily swap places as they roll quietly to a mid-table finish instead.

Yes but that isn't at all my point, the point is that I would prefer to be a club that was in and out of the premier league than one that had consistent mid table obscurity, i'm sure if you ask any baggies fan what their best moments were as a baggies fan in recent times it would be last day relegation survival and promotion not when they finished 10th instead of 12th

ajsccfc

Being in and out means constant relegations though. I'd rather avoid another one of them for the rest of my days, and I'd happily be in a position where the players are playing the last few weeks with one eye on Marbella instead.

ms639

Being in and out means constant relegations though. I'd rather avoid another one of them for the rest of my days, and I'd happily be in a position where the players are playing the last few weeks with one eye on Marbella instead.[/QUO

It does indeed but it also means constant promotions and that my friend as a fan who has only experienced disappointment is something to behold

ajsccfc

Being in and out means constant relegations though. I'd rather avoid another one of them for the rest of my days, and I'd happily be in a position where the players are playing the last few weeks with one eye on Marbella instead.[/QUO

It does indeed but it also means constant promotions and that my friend as a fan who has only experienced disappointment is something to behold

To get to the point where we'd be a monotonous Premier league side with nothing to play for we'd see two promotions, that'd do me. I don't ask for too much.

christonabike

Maybe we could forward it on to the club and get TM to stick it on the wall in the changing room.:claping hands:

SlowerThanPlatt

I remember this got mentioned on Talksport before I think on Friday night with Andy Goldstein and Bobby Gould. I think the studio manager is a Cov fan and asked the question 'what club hasn't finished in the top 6 of any league for 45 years' as the 11pm question where people text in with the answer. I think Goldstein laughed it off and said there's absolute no chance a club has been that unsuccessful/unlucky in the league. The guy told him it was Coventry and he said 'how on earth can you motivate yourself to go the games every week knowing most likely you'll lose and finish closer to relegation than promotion every season'.

Anyone got an answer? I don't. :D

covcity4life

i dont wanna be a yoyo team

i want to win league 1

i want some sort of promotion in championship to prem

then i wanna stay there foreevr

be it lower midtable-fighting relegation it will be better than winning lower leagues because its the friggen prem! we will have better budget,better kits,better tv coverage,better everything.

BUT the point the luton fan was making was that we have never had a winning team, and he is right.

i mean look at us in league 1,we win 3 games and i found myself watching prem and championship teams losing and thinking to myself, we could do them lol. its a feeling cov fans hardly ever have but other teams have had in abundance.

medirocrity in prem is the goal, but to get back there we will finnaly get to enjoy some successfull cov teams. for once we wont be one of the shittest teams in the competition and that means alot to fans i think.

Hobo

Ah, so we're going to choose which stat we use as another stick to bash the club. Fair enough. We were more or less relegated then that season. Sheesh...

It is a case of sometimes you need to look at more than one stat to get a true picture. It is no different to some fans moaning about fan loyalty when we get 11000 gates and then still moan about fan loyalty when we get a 25000 plus gate.

lifeskyblue

Amazing thing is if we go for another 45 years without a top 6 finish I would still be supporting CCFC (well I would probably be dead...aged 101 then). Yes of course we crave a bit of success but I wouldn't swap a cold wet night at the Ricoh or Highfield rd for a champions league night at old Trafford or anywhere. Can any cov fan on here really say that despite the disappointments and the years of pain they would consider supporting a more successful side? For me it just don't work like that.
Actually I'm sure we won't go too long without a bit of success (perhaps a top 6 finish in the next couple years). But then I've been saying the same thing ever since I have been to see the city. In my lifetime promotion to old div1, one season in Europe and the fa cup win of 87. Fans of other clubs moan about lack of success...we have it printed on our hearts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

covcity4life

think how happy you were after beat crewe

now were you that happy when we lost 3-2 to spurs at highfield road(random example, i just remember going to it,spurs played in purple and sheringham scored a great goal)

be honest? the elation of victory is special. do we all wish we could go back to playing spurs twice a year? yes of course we do BUT they key thing is everyone was so happy beating crewe in league 1, the happiness of a win is not limited by the league you are in.

so to go so long without a winning team does indeed suck

i hope that i explained that well.

Samo

think how happy you were after beat crewe

now were you that happy when we lost 3-2 to spurs at highfield road(random example, i just remember going to it,spurs played in purple and sheringham scored a great goal)

be honest? the elation of victory is special. do we all wish we could go back to playing spurs twice a year? yes of course we do BUT they key thing is everyone was so happy beating crewe in league 1, the happiness of a win is not limited by the league you are in.

so to go so long without a winning team does indeed suck

i hope that i explained that well.

Yes you did explain it well. And the ongoing elation and pride of supporting a winning team who are challenging would, I imagine, be even better. So yes it sucks and has done for far too long!

covcity4life

thank you samo

another way at looking at it is

sunderland finished 17th in prem last year
Bristol City got promoted from league 1

which club is better off? sunderland
which fans smiled more that particular season? Bristol city

ccfc fans deserve a season of smiling.

ok no more posts i promise lol

pipkin73

Amazing thing is if we go for another 45 years without a top 6 finish I would still be supporting CCFC . Yes of course we crave a bit of success but I wouldn't swap a cold wet night at the Ricoh or Highfield rd for a champions league night at old Trafford or anywhere. Can any cov fan on here really say that despite the disappointments and the years of pain they would consider supporting a more successful side? For me it just don't work like that.

I have to agree here. In a strange way, i get more pride supporting my team now
than i did in the Prem/League 1 days.
It means that no matter what, this is your team, no matter how low they go, this is your team. When people go Cov who, i just laugh at them. This is our club, our team and we will never follow a big club just to win things.
No! to be a Cov fan, it has to be ingrained into your heart, your soul.
It's something we are proud about and love.

Last edited:

Samo

thank you samo

another way at looking at it is

sunderland finished 17th in prem last year
Bristol City got promoted from league 1

which club is better off? sunderland
which fans smiled more that particular season? Bristol city

ccfc fans deserve a season of smiling.

ok no more posts i promise lol

Yup... and I wouldn't want to be a Sunderland fan no matter what division they are in.

Samo

Amazing thing is if we go for another 45 years without a top 6 finish I would still be supporting CCFC . Yes of course we crave a bit of success but I wouldn't swap a cold wet night at the Ricoh or Highfield rd for a champions league night at old Trafford or anywhere. Can any cov fan on here really say that despite the disappointments and the years of pain they would consider supporting a more successful side? For me it just don't work like that.

I have to agree here. In a strange way, i get more pride supporting my team now
than i did in the Prem/League 1 days.
It means that no matter what, this is your team, no matter how low they go, this is your team. When people go Cov who, i just laugh at them. This is our club, our team and we will never follow a big club just to win things.
No! to be a Cov fan, it has to be ingrained into your heart, your soul.
It's something we are proud about and love.

Proper gushing there Pip... I'll say this about supporting City; it's character building.

NorthernWisdom

My boss is a Northampton fan, he always bangs on about what an incredible achievement it is for us to have had such a long run of top flight football.

Should I correct him and point out his team has been far more successful?

pipkin73

Proper gushing there Pip... I'll say this about supporting City; it's character building.

When i lived in Cov, i went to every game i could. Like most people, my weekend would revolve around it.
Turn up at the ground and watch thousands of your brothers and sisters all waiting, all anticipating a win. In our heads most of the time, we probably never expected one, but hey we are Cov and we can beat anyone on our day. Let's hope it's our day.

I would take to my seat and look around the ground, thousands of us and not so many of them. The Sky Blue Song would roar up and tribal war play was afoot.
It was us against them and the battle would commence, the songs continued, the players ran there hearts out and we as fans were pround of being a Sky Blue.

This is what i remember of being a Cov fan and going to games, we had pride in our team and name, we as supporters showed passion and that led to the players lifting there game. We might not have won, but at the end of the game i had no voice left.

I would rush back home to buy the Pink, read the match report about 2 hours or less after the game finnished. Loads of us all in the newsagents all talking about the game waiting for the Coventry Telegraph van to turn up.

The great days of being a top flight club. The times people interacted in person at the newsagents waiting for The Pink, instead of reading twitter or whatever else on the bus home.
Sky Blue fans building a rapore with each other instead of an iphone.
It was the bus ride to the ground, the hope at the ground and then waiting for that dam Pink to arrive after the game. These are what made the match day experiance, not being top flight.

To be Sky Blue it don't matter what league your in. Make the day a day to remember, sing your hearts out and lift the players. Laugh and joke with the person next to you, remember you all want the same thing. A Sky Blue Win and a great day out.

hill83

My boss is a Northampton fan, he always bangs on about what an incredible achievement it is for us to have had such a long run of top flight football.

No.

WE ARE THE MOST HARD DONE BY AND THE BEST FANS

Samo

When i lived in Cov, i went to every game i could. Like most people, my weekend would revolve around it.
Turn up at the ground and watch thousands of your brothers and sisters all waiting, all anticipating a win. In our heads most of the time, we probably never expected one, but hey we are Cov and we can beat anyone on our day. Let's hope it's our day.

I would take to my seat and look around the ground, thousands of us and not so many of them. The Sky Blue Song would roar up and tribal war play was afoot.
It was us against them and the battle would commence, the songs continued, the players ran there hearts out and we as fans were pround of being a Sky Blue.

This is what i remember of being a Cov fan and going to games, we had pride in our team and name, we as supporters showed passion and that led to the players lifting there game. We might not have won, but at the end of the game i had no voice left.

I would rush back home to buy the Pink, read the match report about 2 hours or less after the game finnished. Loads of us all in the newsagents all talking about the game waiting for the Coventry Telegraph van to turn up.

The great days of being a top flight club. The times people interacted in person at the newsagents waiting for The Pink, instead of reading twitter or whatever else on the bus home.
Sky Blue fans building a rapore with each other instead of an iphone.
It was the bus ride to the ground, the hope at the ground and then waiting for that dam Pink to arrive after the game. These are what made the match day experiance, not being top flight.

To be Sky Blue it don't matter what league your in. Make the day a day to remember, sing your hearts out and lift the players. Laugh and joke with the person next to you, remember you all want the same thing. A Sky Blue Win and a great day out.

Problem is there is usually nobody sitting next to you.

Samo

Have Northampton had promotions? Good seasons?

Samo

Should I tell my boss he is blessed to support them and is talking out of his arse when he speaks of our success?

Of course not, he is quite right to admire our spell in the top flight. But you might mention that we are a bit jealous of any promotion they have enjoyed.

pipkin73

Problem is there is usually nobody sitting next to you.

Not so empty now one stand is closed, but do like we used to do. Wait untill Kick Off and if any empty seats by you get your friends to move seats or you move seats by them.
If people you don't know are near you, try to get banter going with them. Remember this saying "there are no strangers here, only friends who have yet to meet".
Come on, let the supporters sing and enjoy the day, you never know it might just rub of on the players, but if it don't then atleast you had a good time and maybe made some new Sky Blue friends.

It's all about enjoying yourself, just go and have a good time. If we win it's a bonus and the more you enjoy yourselves the more the positive atmosphere will be for the players so it's a win, win situation.

I honestly believe that this is what we as a club have forgotten, to just go and enjoy the day.

Last edited:

Samo

Not so empty now one stand is closed, but do like we used to do. Wait untill Kick Off and if any empty seats by you get your friends to move seats or you move seats by them.
If people you don't know are near you, try to get banter going with them. Remember this saying "there are no strangers here, only friends who have yet to meet".
Come on, let the supporters sing and enjoy the day, you never know it might just rub of on the players, but if it don't then atleast you had a good time and maybe made some new Sky Blue friends.

It's all about enjoying yourself, just go and have a good time. If we win it's a bonus and the more you enjoy yourselves the posative the atmosphere will be for the players so it's a win, win situation. I honestly believe that this is what we as a club have forgotten, to just go and enjoy the day.

To be fair they have made it hard to enjoy the day... but I agree with the sentiment.

Grendel

So what we are saying here is that if we are where we are today but had the success of the last 45 years of;

Crewe
Scunthorpe
Rochdale
Northampton
Bradford
Luton
Carlisle

To name but a handful our attendances would be higher.

I can't also remember people wanting the team relegated from the top flight so they could get really excited about perhaps finishing 6th in a inferior division the next year.

There is some tripe posted on here but this thread takes it to new levels.

Christ I wish I was a Crewe fan - those top 6 finishes.

Samo

Why does everything have to be so fucking black & white on here? Yes it was great that we stayed in the top flight for all those years. No it's not good that we haven't had a top 6 finish in 45 years. Simple really.

Grendel

Why does everything have to be so fucking black & white on here? Yes it was great that we stayed in the top flight for all those years. No it's not good that we haven't had a top 6 finish in 45 years. Simple really.

But we had a top 7 finish - so let's make the benchmark 6 even though it's irrelevant in the league we were in for 75% of the time.

Samo

But we had a top 7 finish - so let's make the benchmark 6 even though it's irrelevant in the league we were in for 75% of the time.

OK have it your way... you think its a good thing that we've had one top 7 finish in 45 years?

Users who are viewing this thread