Match Thread Blackburn Rovers (A) Sat 16th October 2021 - 3pm KO (1 Viewer)

CBS16

There is actually a pretty dark story behind why he did that
Yep I believe they'd been told they'd be killed or not allowed back home if they lost 3-0 or more. This was to run the clock down at 2-0. Motion called it 'an act of African ignorance' but in fact was the ignorant one himself that day! They'd just won the African cup of Nations and made the world cup they knew the fuckin rules 😂

Brighton Sky Blue

Yep I believe they'd been told they'd be killed or not allowed back home if they lost 3-0 or more. This was to run the clock down at 2-0. Motion called it 'an act of African ignorance' but in fact was the ignorant one himself that day! They'd just won the African cup of Nations and made the world cup they knew the fuckin rules 😂

Think it was an act of defiance against whoever was ruling Zaire at the time who had made threats like that and mistreated the players.

Brighton Sky Blue

Id say it will be Kane on the left

giphy.gif

Sky_Blue_Daz

I sound pessimistic but I’d happily take a draw

harvey098

Torquay Sky Blue

Terry_dactyl

I’ve seen that clip loads of times over the years but that’s the first I’ve heard of that! As you say it’s always been portrayed as ‘how funny/sweet, they don’t even know the rules’!
A moments thought should have told me otherwise. I’m disappointed in myself.

TomRad85

Oh yes, proper football is back, none of that international rubbish that's driven us all a bit crazy I think. 2-1 City.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

no_loyalty

I have just read the pre match preview on the Blackburn website, and Mowbray says he is hopeful Ben Brereton Diaz will be able to play a part after jetting in from South America just hours before. I thought Diaz was definitely out of this game?

Sky Blue Harry H

I’ve seen that clip loads of times over the years but that’s the first I’ve heard of that! As you say it’s always been portrayed as ‘how funny/sweet, they don’t even know the rules’!
A moments thought should have told me otherwise. I’m disappointed in myself.

Agreed - can't even remember them blaming it on ignorance at the time, and as a young teen I put it down to the youthful like exuberance of a puppy. Had never heard the back story - as you and others have said, really sad.

Frostie

They seem to be missing a good few including the Chilean assassin. One to get back in the win column away from home.

I wonder if all this Brereton Diaz stuff is posturing & he actually features, albeit probably as a sub.

Match preview on their website says:
Screenshot_20211016-110200~2.png

And he got a private jet back from International duty:
20211016_110522.jpg

Warwickhunt

No way will Brereton Diaz will be ok to play against us. It would be reckless in terms of player welfare after having played thosands of miles away on Thursday night/Friday morning.
Possible blood clot in leg scenario! Travelling in a pressurised cabin 12 hours and concerted pressure on the calf muscles. I hope they don’t take a silly decision?

Users who are viewing this thread