Birmingham incident (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

That's the problem isn't it? You can't say everyone who murders has a mental health issue and therefore should be excused so the issue becomes where do you put the line at which diminished responsibility becomes a valid argument.

Frankly I’m not sure it ever is. Where do you stop? You were raised poorly, you were poor, etc etc.

Youve got to draw a line somewhere. For me once you’re 18 a crime is a crime.

Grendel

That's the problem isn't it? You can't say everyone who murders has a mental health issue and therefore should be excused so the issue becomes where do you put the line at which diminished responsibility becomes a valid argument.

The courts decide who has those issues

Ring Of Steel

Frankly I’m not sure it ever is. Where do you stop? You were raised poorly, you were poor, etc etc.

Youve got to draw a line somewhere. For me once you’re 18 a crime is a crime.

Somebody somewhere decided that this guy was no risk & could be set free, as if a stint in jail had solved all his problems, and its far from the first time something like this has happened. From what I can see he was sentenced to 3 years in 2017, served half and despite having 'serious mental health issues' was not required to go on probation because he'd served his whole sentence (which makes no sense in itself, he didn't serve his whole sentence). Would have thought that before the usual suspects start trying to turn it into a race issue there was a look at how these potential timebombs are let go onto the street like this so that they can kill people.

SBT

I tell you what does need some explanation though.

Imagine if a white man had gone around Birmingham and stabbed 7 black people, killing one of them. What do you think the outcome would be?

I know you are really excited that the guy wasn't Somali, but there is still a very big issue here. Some poor lad has just lost his life ffs.

I'm not "excited" about anything to do with this murder, don't give me that.

What I do take issue with - people saying the media have got it all wrong again, that there's a cover up, trying to sow more mistrust and prejudice with dodgy rumours dressed up as fact. Only to conveniently disappear when it turns out the media had it right all along.

It would be nice if these people learned from it, admitted they were misled and cut out the source of dodgy rumours from their news feeds. Instead they'll soon be back complaining about MSM conspiracies and toxic social media without a hint of irony.

wingy

Somebody somewhere decided that this guy was no risk & could be set free, as if a stint in jail had solved all his problems, and its far from the first time something like this has happened. From what I can see he was sentenced to 3 years in 2017, served half and despite having 'serious mental health issues' was not required to go on probation because he'd served his whole sentence (which makes no sense in itself, he didn't serve his whole sentence). Would have thought that before the usual suspects start trying to turn it into a race issue there was a look at how these potential timebombs are let go onto the street like this so that they can kill people.
Think I read he was recalled ,then served the rest.

Ring Of Steel

He got recalled to serve the rest of it, I think.

gotcha. Still, haven't there been loads of instances where people are released only to then go on and do things like this? Something is badly wrong somewhere, it can't have completely escaped peoples' notice that this guy had some major issues and presented a risk

Ring Of Steel

I'm not "excited" about anything to do with this murder, don't give me that.

What I do take issue with - people saying the media have got it all wrong again, that there's a cover up, trying to sow more mistrust and prejudice with dodgy rumours dressed up as fact. Only to conveniently disappear when it turns out the media had it right all along.

It would be nice if these people learned from it, admitted they were misled and cut out the source of dodgy rumours from their news feeds. Instead they'll soon be back complaining about MSM conspiracies and toxic social media without a hint of irony.

Only a special kind of race-obsessed individual would claim that you are "excited" about a murder.

shmmeee

Half the sentence is the full sentence with good behaviour.

I don’t think we’ve got sentencing right at all, but the mental health debate is a red herring. As I say, no one of sound mind randomly stabs people. The question is what do you do to stop them stabbing again? I honestly don’t know. Does look like the sentencing was poor. I’ve said before I think we don’t sentence violent crimes harshly enough IMO.

The death penalty argument is a red herring too. Too costly and too permanent when we haven’t got a perfect legal system. Just people’s blood lust ironically.

duffer

Anyone here who jumped on the ‘left wing media cover-up Somali refugee hate crime’ bandwagon, now has the chance to take a cold hard look at themselves, what they believe, and where they’re getting the information that drives these beliefs.

I’m serious. There’s no need to say anything on here, but you’ve been played for a mug if you fell for it, and there’s no need to fall for it again and spread the hate even further.

There are mad people, there are bad people, and there are mad, bad people. They come in all colours.

duffer

Diminished responsibility is a risky defence. You might well exchange a long but defined jail term for an indeterminate (that is, potentially endless) spell at somewhere like Broadmoor.

The people that rage about mentally insecure people being released and going on to commit further crimes are often part of the same cohort who starve the prison and probation service of the funding needed to identify and treat prisoners with serious mental health issues.

If locking people up without consideration of rehabilitation made society safer, then the UK and US would have some of the lowest crime rates in the western world. It’s just not that simple though.

Users who are viewing this thread