Match Thread Birmingham City (1 Viewer)

clint van damme

I have to say I genuinely don't know what Biamou brings to the table in this division as he doesn't seem to offer anything.

But how much would it have cost us to replace him with someone like, say the Juke, who put in a Biamouesque display of finishing tonight?

87 n all that

4th from bottom is all we need to do this season. No idea how we’re going to do it because the squad lacks quality but I’d stick to 3 CH’s and 2 strikers from now on.

cc84cov

4th from bottom is all we need to do this season. No idea how we’re going to do it because the squad lacks quality but I’d stick to 3 CH’s and 2 strikers from now on.
Sheff Wednesday won’t be there either wjll derby once their spending on players after their take over

Brighton Sky Blue

It won us the league last year lol. No question?

Man i find it hard to chat to you lately

No doubt you feel the same

Till the next march thread friend!

We're in a different league and we don't have the technical ability or physicality up front to replicate it this season. It can't be debated that we were much more of a threat since changing to 5-3-2 and tonight highlighted it, even when Walker did the business there was nobody up with him to capitalise. The commentators tonight recognised as much almost immediately.

Even you must admit that for all my perceived and actual whining I also say constructive things about what I think should be done and it's tended to be borne out in the games. I'm not sat here hoping we struggle I'm wanting us to show some self-belief

covcity4life

We're in a different league and we don't have the technical ability or physicality up front to replicate it this season. It can't be debated that we were much more of a threat since changing to 5-3-2 and tonight highlighted it, even when Walker did the business there was nobody up with him to capitalise. The commentators tonight recognised as much almost immediately.

Even you must admit that for all my perceived and actual whining I also say constructive things about what I think should be done and it's tended to be borne out in the games. I'm not sat here hoping we struggle I'm wanting us to show some self-belief
Not sure it's constructive to say this must change then get angry afyer 20 mins of a new formation

We gave away most chances when changed formstion. Sheaf should have stayed on

Interesting to see who h formstion we start with vs Cardiff. I like both as long as continue to play it on deck

KenilworthSkyBlue

The main positives are a clean sheet and Walker continuing to look lively. That said we really could have done with a win against a side that was there for the taken and to whom we posed few threats. We weren't conceding bags of goals because of our formation, it was stupid errors and we still made plenty even before he reverted to 5-3-2

Dabo yet to return to full fitness, Godden to come back into the side, Walker finally finding his feet, finally being able to say we kept a clean sheet. There's plenty of positives to take from the game.

Agreed I don't think the formation was necessarily at fault but at the same time I don't know whether 3 at the back is always the correct option against some of the better sides in the division. It's a formation that can actually leave the team quite open to counter attacks. Also, in my opinion one of the weakest links in the last few weeks was Rose.

clint van damme

Juke was the Juke I remember for us tonight. Got into great positions then missed the target or hit the woodwork.

And I bet we'd all have him back in a heartbeat but we are hamstrung by budget. It's a big challenge to stay up.

I think we can do.it but I wouldn't say we definitely will.

ICHAN

IMO (dont post much anymore) but after watching tonight I think with Kyle Walker tonight he will be a good partner with matty, IMO he has a forwards brain and you could see what he was trying to to, the most important thing was keeping a clean sheet for the defenders confidence, and at least after 70 odds minutes MR changed it to try and get the win, the way we know how to get a goal, (although we always look like we can concede), although don’t think Hamer got into the game at all sadly.

Liquid Gold

And I bet we'd all have him back in a heartbeat but we are hamstrung by budget. It's a big challenge to stay up.

Vital that we do though. We know we’re not building the UoW dome and championship money will keep us going.

Brighton Sky Blue

Not sure it's constructive to say this must change then get angry afyer 20 mins of a new formation

We gave away most chances when changed formstion. Sheaf should have stayed on

Interesting to see who h formstion we start with vs Cardiff. I like both as long as continue to play it on deck

I never said we should change the 5-3-2.

SlowerThanPlatt

IMO (dont post much anymore) but after watching tonight I think with Kyle Walker tonight he will be a good partner with matty, IMO he has a forwards brain and you could see what he was trying to to, the most important thing was keeping a clean sheet for the defenders confidence, and at least after 70 odds minutes MR changed it to try and get the win, the way we know how to get a goal, (although we always look like we can concede), although don’t think Hamer got into the game at all sadly.
Kyle Walker :oops:

clint van damme

A valid point, but I think in hindsight it was wrong to keep both Baka and Biamou as both are clearly not up to the standard unfortunately.

But even if we'd replaced them it would have been with a speculative buy from a lower league which may or may not have worked

Buying a proven Championship striker was not within our price range.

Frostie

giphy.gif

Brighton Sky Blue

Dabo yet to return to full fitness, Godden to come back into the side, Walker finally finding his feet, finally being able to say we kept a clean sheet. There's plenty of positives to take from the game.

Agreed I don't think the formation was necessarily at fault but at the same time I don't know whether 3 at the back is always the correct option against some of the better sides in the division. It's a formation that can actually leave the team quite open to counter attacks. Also, in my opinion one of the weakest links in the last few weeks was Rose.

I think a major issue was/is the continued absence of a natural right footer from RWB. Tonight was not the time for a more cautious approach

clint van damme

Vital that we do though. We know we’re not building the UoW dome and championship money will keep us going.

If we don't either get back to the Ricoh or build a ground then we aren't going too survive in this league and ultimately survive anyway

ICHAN

It's unbelievable this year.
Some guy saying he'd drop Walker next game for Biamou and that anyone who thinks Walker was worth MOTM is mental
Didn’t see the point of max as he didn’t change the game all tbh, could have put hamer up front or coh ?

87 n all that

There’s too much passing around at the back and sooner or later we’ll get caught out. O’Hare isn’t really cutting it in an attacking creative role either. He puts a shift in but might be better off the bench. There’s no one really to replace him in that role apart from Shippers or Allen and can’t see either of them being the answer.

Brighton Sky Blue

The formation looked alright to me. I thought Osti must have been unfit but he looked good when he came on. Our problem wasn’t playing well it was making idiotic mistakes. The formation change didn’t work.

That's my thought as well. Despite not being 100% Dabo was still turning on the gas in the short patch he was on during 5-3-2, which tells me he'd have been a threat if we went with it from the start. This other setup should only be used to see out a result

Liquid Gold

All of those players are going to be on low wages though. We’re not going to decimate the squad to bring in one player.

fernandopartridge

We're not meant to panic though
The rest of the table isn't set either ffs. How can you go from brainless baseless optimism in the corona thread to this in the football one? I would have preferred to win tonight but we didn't lose and didn't concede. We've had a lot of injury problems, adapted to the pace of the higher level and now can start to settle down. Blues aren't a great side but we didn't look like we didn't belong at the same level as them.

Grendel

Robins of course decided to resign bakayoko and now clearly will never play him again

KenilworthSkyBlue

But even if we'd replaced them it would have been with a speculative buy from a lower league which may or may not have worked

Buying a proven Championship striker was not within our price range.

We were never in the market for a Championship striker even as a starter, let alone as a 3rd/4th choice. Not when starting bids for wages begin at 15k. So, that point is a non-starter.

But both Biamou and Baka are far less than what's required with regards to ability. Personally, I think in hindsight promotion to the Championship would have been the optimal time to part ways. Whether their hypothetical replacement would have faired any better is entirely speculative - especially as they would have had to be plucked from a lower division - but perhaps Robins could have at least brought a player in to develop. A ship that as certainly sailed for Biamou and I feel has also perhaps sailed for Baka.

Users who are viewing this thread