Birmingham City stadium (1 Viewer)

pusbccfc

Birmingham look to be building a new stadium at the go kart track near St Andrews.

Amazing reading their forum... They genuinely think it's going to be bigger than Villa Park etc.

Seems to be a recipe for disaster. Birmingham have struggled this season for crowds while other clubs have grown massively. Imagine if they build a 50,000 seater...

Flying Fokker

Was reading about it yesterday. Surprised it wasn’t on here sooner given that it was revealed on Wednesday. I looked at the plot. And it’s only 1/2 mile from St.Andrews. A 50k stadium is ambitious. However, it did get me thinking what it would be like if we had the same opportunity.

alexccfc99

Was reading about it yesterday. Surprised it wasn’t on here sooner given that it was revealed on Wednesday. I looked at the plot. And it’s only 1/2 mile from St.Andrews. A 50k stadium is ambitious. However, it did get me thinking what it would be like if we had the same opportunity.
They are quite clearly going to market it for other events

Some of the patronising arrogance from their lot is staggering - "It will be great for the entire Midlands" - Will it? Like to see how it will affect anyone's life other than their supporters

StrettoBoy

Birmingham look to be building a new stadium at the go kart track near St Andrews.

Amazing reading their forum... They genuinely think it's going to be bigger than Villa Park etc.

Seems to be a recipe for disaster. Birmingham have struggled this season for crowds while other clubs have grown massively. Imagine if they build a 50,000 seater...

It's a bit ambitious for a club that is likely to be in League 1 next season. It was only our win yesterday that kept them out of the drop zone.

As we know only took well, climbing back up out of the lower leagues isn't always easy even for biggish clubs such as them and us

alexccfc99

It's a bit ambitious for a club that is likely to be in League 1 next season. It was only our win yesterday that kept them out of the drop zone.

As we know only took well, climbing back up out of the lower leagues isn't always easy even for biggish clubs such as them and us
They will eek their way out of it like they usually do

They are a better side than Hudds, hinges on Sheffield Wednesday who imo - won't have enough

Evo1883

Birmingham like to point out they've the 15th highest all time average in the country which they do , but it's a team in the second city ffs , their support is dire

clint van damme

Birmingham like to point out they've the 15th highest all time average in the country which they do , but it's a team in the second city ffs , their support is dire

They are absolutely deluded.
Said it before, but I worked over their for years, (I think you used to as well?), and I prefer Villa supporters.

Evo1883

Said it before, but I worked over their for years, (I think you used to as well?), and I prefer Villa supporters.
Neither side get great numbers for a city of over 1.2 million , especially when you consider united and city , Liverpool and Everton etc , even the 2 sheffield clubs run them close , I appreciate villa Park is at capacity but they lost 10,000 in the championship

alexccfc99

If I had to pick either to win a trophy it would be Villa every day of the week

Villa supporters are arseholes but in a 'harmless but slightly dim' way

Blues supporters are arseholes in a 'let's brick a coach window and start a fight with someone in a replica shirt' way

stay_up_skyblues

I suspect they’re banking on attracting American fans on the back of Tom Brady’s involvement. Not saying they will or that it is in the least bit sensible, but that’s the only thing that occurs to me as to why their owners think they can get close to filling a stadium of that size. This is of course the same ownership that sacked Eustace and replaced with Rooney.

djr8369

Some of the patronising arrogance from their lot is staggering - "It will be great for the entire Midlands" - Will it? Like to see how it will affect anyone's life other than their supporters
Yeah it’s too far out of the city centre, driving there is crap, and there are loads of venues it would compete with around the city without those issues.

alexccfc99

Yeah it’s too far out of the city centre, driving there is crap, and there are loads of venues it would compete with around the city without those issues.
There is literally one of the biggest indoor exhibition venues down the road - next to an airport and mainline railway station

pusbccfc

Neither side get great numbers for a city of over 1.2 million , especially when you consider united and city , Liverpool and Everton etc , even the 2 sheffield clubs run them close , I appreciate villa Park is at capacity but they lost 10,000 in the championship

Yep, Villa's crowds in the Championship were shocking.

pusbccfc

So much similar to us in the late 90s and early 2000s. People getting giddy about building a super arena, new train stations and the prospect of European Football.

They may be backed by trillion dollar owners but it seems to be something that could go wrong easily.

They all seem to think they'll do a Man City but we've seen this go wrong before.

Birmingham fans pride themselves on being shit but a 'proper' club who don't have a bowl stadium or a drum. They are literally begging to be turned into this franchise.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Always the way.

Birmingham assume what is good for them is good for the entire region. London assumes what is good for them is good for the entire country. I guess even Coventry thinks what is good for them is good for Warwickshire as a whole.

chiefdave

Think they just did the minimum needed to make it safe and even that cost a ridiculous amount of money and was said to be a short term fix.

Has there actually been any official announcement from the club, can't see anything on their website? There's a firesale of Birmingham Council assets at the moment. Could be they've bought the land 'just in case' knowing given its location they could likely sell it on if they have no use for it.

Gynnsthetonic

Think it's on the championship thread but we were talking about it on Wednesday

Evo1883

Birmingham are one of the worst (if not the worst) supported clubs in the country when you consider their population size and catchment area. There is no reason why they shouldn’t be able to fill a 50,000 seater stadium with ease, yet their historical attendances are lower than ours. Embarrassing really.
Their historical attendances are better than ours

rob9872

Should've built it on the A45 and we could've shared it. At least that way it might see some top flight football 😉

pusbccfc

Their historical attendances are better than ours

As they should be, they are a city of 1.2 million people and that is before you factor in the major catchment areas around it. Villa are a big club and take a large share but Blues fans always like to claim that they all live outside of Birmingham in the posh towns and villages of Staffordshire and Warwickshire.

no_loyalty

Land secured for new stadium build.

pusbccfc

60,000 they are talking about.

Has any club gone from a 15-20,000 fan base to 60,000? Certainly in the past 25 years anyway.

chiefdave

60,000 they are talking about.

Has any club gone from a 15-20,000 fan base to 60,000? Certainly in the past 25 years anyway.
It only makes sense to massively expand if you're a club with a huge waiting list for season tickets doesn't it? Anything else and you're just being a stadium you know is too big for you in the hope of future success and we all know how depressing it is sat in an empty stadium.

Users who are viewing this thread