Birmingham City stadium (1 Viewer)

AOM

60,000 they are talking about.

Has any club gone from a 15-20,000 fan base to 60,000? Certainly in the past 25 years anyway.

How big was Upton Park? About 30,000?
Probably the only other stadium with such a drastic jump in capacity that could be comparable I can think of, but not sure if Birmingham are really going to be filling a stadium that big as West Ham have...

pusbccfc

How big was Upton Park? About 30,000?
Probably the only other stadium with such a drastic jump in capacity that could be comparable I can think of, but not sure if Birmingham are really going to be filling a stadium that big as West Ham have...

Yeah good point. 30,000 - 60,000 is a huge jump.

Birmingham City have one of the biggest catchment areas but West Ham possibly bigger. The entirety of Essex and East London is a West Ham stronghold. That's before you factor in the element that West Ham is in one of the most visited cities in the world.

Ironically, West Ham fans think they have sold their soul. Birmingham will be another level with this.

Reactions: AOM

fernandopartridge

Yeah good point. 30,000 - 60,000 is a huge jump.

Birmingham City have one of the biggest catchment areas but West Ham possibly bigger. The entirety of Essex and East London is a West Ham stronghold. That's before you factor in the element that West Ham is in one of the most visited cities in the world.

Ironically, West Ham fans think they have sold their soul. Birmingham will be another level with this.

West Ham average gate was just under 35k and was constrained by the capacity at Upton Park, so the jump to 60k is smaller relative to the actual demand. Further, they also play at an Olympic Stadium in one of the world's most visited cities with great transport links.

OffenhamSkyBlue

That place is an absolute shit-hole. I parked up there a few times when we were playing at St Andrew's - but never after dark! Where are they going to put all the rough sleepers?

stay_up_skyblues

To stand any chance of filling a stadium that size it needs to coincide with a rise to top 4 premier league levels. Zero chance imo and even 30,000 will feel miserable in a 60,000 seater. Half full always does. We should know.

Even if the owners are multi billionaires (are they oil baron levels?) they can’t just buy their way to the top echelons anymore.

pusbccfc

They must have so much money. They've announced new fan zones and fancy entrance to St Andrews to open next season.

They've spent a fortune doing up the stadium just to move on in the next 5 years?

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

West Ham is not in West Ham, Manchester Utd not in Manchester. Just think for a stadium like that and on about doing American Football, Rugby etc that the NEC has everything there
Transport links can't be great at this new stadium's location can they? Local branch station at Adderley isn't going to have great capacity and it's a fair walk from New Street. Maybe it's aimed at the HS2 station but even that's going to be a bit of a walk through crappy bits of town isn't it?

OffenhamSkyBlue

Tbf they've bought prime land in Birmingham. It needs to be regenerated.
"Prime land"??
The whole of Small Heath, Alum Rock and Adderley is a wasteland that needs to be bulldozed. Putting a shiny new stadium doesn't make the area any less of a shit-hole, unless you are going to redevelop the entire area (like the Olympic Park or Canary Wharf in London), but there isn't the money to do that.

OffenhamSkyBlue

Transport links can't be great at this new stadium's location can they? Local branch station at Adderley isn't going to have great capacity and it's a fair walk from New Street. Maybe it's aimed at the HS2 station but even that's going to be a bit of a walk through crappy bits of town isn't it?
Using HS2 to get there would only apply to Orient and Charlton fans in League One!

Joy Division

West Ham is not in West Ham, Manchester Utd not in Manchester. Just think for a stadium like that and on about doing American Football, Rugby etc that the NEC has everything there

So they would have to deal with Solihull Council who I very much doubt would be so keen to sell of their land so cheaply as BCC have.

It makes absolute sense to invest money on land that is near their home and in desperate need of regeneration for the area.

pusbccfc

1000101249.png

Meanwhile, according to their forum, they are expecting 19,000 for their huge match against Cardiff which is just £15 for adults.

TomRad85

The owners are either delusional or up to something fishy.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Frank Sidebottom

To stand any chance of filling a stadium that size it needs to coincide with a rise to top 4 premier league levels. Zero chance imo and even 30,000 will feel miserable in a 60,000 seater. Half full always does. We should know.

Even if the owners are multi billionaires (are they oil baron levels?) they can’t just buy their way to the top echelons anymore.
Depends how it's done. If you have 2 tiers with roughly 30k in each tier you simply keep the upper tier closed until demand is required... I suspect with Brady involved that the owner has an eye on hosting NFL games and maybe even a UK Franchise which would easily attract capacity crowds. Birmingham Badgers anyone?

wingy

Asset becomes cheap due to massive inflation,Country takes advantage of a piece of real estate and a cultural icon!!

Welcome to the 51st state!

OffenhamSkyBlue

Depends how it's done. If you have 2 tiers with roughly 30k in each tier you simply keep the upper tier closed until demand is required... I suspect with Brady involved that the owner has an eye on hosting NFL games and maybe even a UK Franchise which would easily attract capacity crowds. Birmingham Badgers anyone?
Blinders, surely!

Johnnythespider

The owners are seeing it in NFL franchise terms, if it actually happens I doubt the locals will be able to afford a ticket

napolimp

Bit of an MK situation then.

Terry Gibson's perm

There will be no appetite for a Birmingham based nfl team even with Brady hanging around I’m not sure there will be for a London based one, uk fans have teams already. All this talk is to gain local authority funding which they will need a lot of luck with as Birmingham council is broke.

OffenhamSkyBlue

There will be no appetite for a Birmingham based nfl team even with Brady hanging around I’m not sure there will be for a London based one, uk fans have teams already. All this talk is to gain local authority funding which they will need a lot of luck with as Birmingham council is broke.
I thought the whole point of Brum Council selling that desolate wilderness to Blues was to try and realise their assets so they have a chance of paying their bin men!

Users who are viewing this thread