Transfer Rumour Billy Sharp (3 Viewers)

ajsccfc

Solid pro and it was only 2 years ago that he scored 14 in the Championship but it's hard to look past his age isn't it

Danceswithhorses

No thanks.
Waghorn was a disaster, and although Sharp is more mobile (so is my gran), we'd just be repeating the same mistake as last time.

Last edited:

Blind-Faith

I think I maybe slightly scarred by the Waghorn signing, but this does not fill me with delight.

2 years ago I’d of been delighted with this, so I suppose it shows how far we’ve come as a club. More than happy to be proven wrong though

larry_david

There is no denying he was a very good striker and whilst not wanting to sound like a snob, to be linked with him in the past would have been a compliment...but not now

slowpoke

Not sure about the truth in this but if Godden moves on someone like Billy Sharp mainly on the bench for 12 months in my opinion could be clever move, don’t care what any of the above doubters say he knows where the back of the net is and in Mark Robins I trust.

PUSB-We_are_going_up

Im not sure on this one, unless its a signing with potential to take him on in a coaching role when he retires like a shooting/attacking coach or something

slowpoke

As someone above has said apart from what I would say striker back-up he could add value on the training field and help young strikers such as Ellis Simms, whoever else we sign and the youngsters, at 37 he will have an eye on when he hangs his boots up.

ptr

Don’t think it will happen. Can see him going to Rotherham where he will play every week. Also don’t think Robins will want to let go of Godden, unless he’s asking for a move.

Hincha

You would think he would prefer Rotherham but we will probably offer more money.

Apart from the squad turnover argument - I'd rather have Sharp than Godden in the substitute striker role.

Deity

I don’t fancy this deal at all but one reason could be the guy has been part of promotion winning teams before and Robins might think he would help the younger strikers to have his know how about.

fatso

His age profile certainly doesn't fit our process. I'd be surprised if this is anything other than media gossip.

The Philosopher

No.

Waghorn. Beavon. Darius Henderson. Yakubu.

All brought in and the same BS trotted out: “guile”. “Experience”. “Teach the younger strikers”.

Another aging striker taking up a squad place and wage budget.

What are we going to do, develop Sharpe and hope to sell his 38 year old bones for a profit?

No.

Just don’t.

Happy_Martian

Sharp has gone beyond being an effective forward and is now just a journeyman on a downward trek. I'm sure his leadership and experience is great in the dressing room but we already have Fadz and Kellz for the "old head" approach. He'll get some minutes and will probably still score goals in the Champ but can't see him being more than a bit part player for us (Waghorn Mk. II) and he isn't going to impact a game or a season enough to warrant his wages.

Paul Anthony

Top player at this level in his time. Unfortunately, he's beyond that now. Not for me, this one.

David O'Day

No.

Waghorn. Beavon. Darius Henderson. Yakubu.

All brought in and the same BS trotted out: “guile”. “Experience”. “Teach the younger strikers”.

Another aging striker taking up a squad place and wage budget.

What are we going to do, develop Sharpe and hope to sell his 38 year old bones for a profit?

No.

Just don’t.
He's definitely no Kyle Hudlin

napolimp

Is it possible Robins is looking for someone to work closely with Simms? Sharp would be an ideal candidate.

Users who are viewing this thread