Biggest Transfer Shock (1 Viewer)

DannyThomas_1981

Which transfer in or out has shocked you the most in watching the City - caught you completely off guard?

For me it was McAllister joining from Leeds. Showed that for the first time that the club had real ambition and was prepared to compete with the big boys.

On reflection it was the wrong signing or more accurately we had the wrong manager splashing the cash.

Kevin Kyle joining was also revealing as even at the time it showed that Adams was not prepared for the sale of McSheffrey and it was a signing that was badly planned from the start. Can't blame Kyle for that - more a reflection of poor decision making by the Board and Adams not having a real plan B.

On the transfer out front - I was shocked we got £5MM+ for Bellamy as he had a terrible season for us. Proved me wrong many times after that.

MatthewWallis

My brother phoned me and told me that he just saw on sky sports news that Conor Thomas had gone Liverpool, thought he must be winding me up!

letsallsingtogether

Which transfer in or out has shocked you the most in watching the City - caught you completely off guard?

For me it was McAllister joining from Leeds. Showed that for the first time that the club had real ambition and was prepared to compete with the big boys.

On reflection it was the wrong signing or more accurately we had the wrong manager splashing the cash.

Kevin Kyle joining was also revealing as even at the time it showed that Adams was not prepared for the sale of McSheffrey and it was a signing that was badly planned from the start. Can't blame Kyle for that - more a reflection of poor decision making by the Board and Adams not having a real plan B.

On the transfer out front - I was shocked we got £5MM+ for Bellamy as he had a terrible season for us. Proved me wrong many times after that.
Still remember Gary Mac transfer.
It was the only time I brought the paper everyday on holiday, to keep up with it.

Saying that loved the Keane transfer as I worked with Vile fans at the time, Oh I gave um some shit:)

Moff

The Whelan sale must have due to his personal issues. He was out of shape but still potentially had years left in him, think he was only 25 / 26.

Think it was. If I remember correctly he had split with his girlfriend and she had returned to Leeds with their young baby. He wanted to be nearer to his child, which is totally understandable.

ovduk78

The Whelan sale must have due to his personal issues. He was out of shape but still potentially had years left in him, think he was only 25 / 26.
I know the season before he was injured at the start and then we picked Rousell to play with Keane. It was a shock to me that we sold him 2 weeks before the start of the season just after selling Keane, maybe he wanted to move back up north. I am not sure when Bellamy came in.

Moff

Was shocked with the signings of Hadji, McAllister and Keane as it appeared we were moving onto bigger and batter things. How wrong could I be!

One transfer that really shocked me was how we were ripped off by the Transfer Tribunal when Hateley left to Portsmouth. We got 190K and then a year later he left them to AC Milan for 1 million. We were ripped off by the FA.

CJ_covblaze

Keane and also Robert Jarni

Those two were unbelievable. The most expensive teenager ever at the time and the Jarni saga. Hadji too. Probably won’t ever see a continent’s player of the year that lit up a World Cup play for us again.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Denis Mortimer to Villa (for £175K I think) in the mid-70's. Hated it.
The only time I ever wrote to the chairman of city in my life ,didn't agree with his comments then and think it was the worst transfer the club ever made selling our top player to a rival a real no no (villa) who were on a par at the time and watching him and them going on to achieve what they did thinking that could have been us.

oucho

Hadji, Gary Mac and Jarni for me.

fernandopartridge

I wasn't really that surpised about Bellamy, there were always signs of his talent but we effectively became a season of rehabilitation from injury for him. He was bought as potential and sold as potential.

tisza

Keane - the fee for a club our size was staggering.
Jarni - can't tell me there wasn't something dodgy around this.
Gallacher - to Blackburn. The fee & the timing. Heard a lot of rumours about this one at the time.
Dublin - 2m for a reserve player seemed crazy at the time.

Bumberclart

Gary Mac and Speedie both had the WOW! factor.
But the only one that ever had the "Feck off, you're taking the pi$$" factor was Joe Cole.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

The Jarni situation was Real Betis would not sell to Real Madrid and we were the way round it . That was 1 of the best deals we have ever done think we made almost a million pound for paper work

rupert_bear

I’m going to say the transfer in that never happened Neil Lennon, the missing link for us at the time Atkinson and Strachan met him agreed terms but left without him putting pen to paper only for Martin O’Neil to nip in and nick him for Leicester in a division lower at the time. Lennon became the maln stay of a very good Leicester team for a few years.

Users who are viewing this thread