Biggest Transfer Shock (2 Viewers)

shmmeee

To be fair to Richardson, it’s a bit like those FIFA Icon loans you get, you ain’t gonna turn it down when offered a ridiculous player you’d never get normally. We must’ve taken a fair hit even just paying the wages for no long term benefit though I guess.

tisza

i was shocked at the sale of the 82-83 side. Too much, too young!
remember speaking to Paul Dyson at the time, Usually b*llocks. No way we're all staying, building for future etc.
Huge turnover that summer.
Everyone thought we were doomed bringing in a whole load of lower league/non-league players. Gynn,Peake, Adams, Gibson, Pearce,Bennett. a few duds - Big Fat Sam, Langley

colin101

For me it was selling Darren Huckerby to Leeds, selling Gallagher to Blackburn and getting Wegerle in return and worst of all selling Ronnie Rees to Albion

Brighton Sky Blue

Was shocked with the signings of Hadji, McAllister and Keane as it appeared we were moving onto bigger and batter things. How wrong could I be!

Jumbo cod, deep fried Mars bars and unlimited McNuggets. It was a time to be alive.

CCFCSteve

Not buying Chris Marsden & selling Noel Whelan not long after we had sold Robbie Keane.

Dragging feet over signing Marsden as they were sniffing round Sandy Robertson. One of the biggest transfer fuck ups we've had. Marsden didn't do much elsewhere but was quality for us !

BackRoomRummermill

Two transfers stick to mind the one I most reflect upon is the turn coat Dublin going to villa on his England call up , he left us after we gave him a platform and I said at the time that's us gone in two years and I was correct. Cant believe people CCFC wise give him so much time as I treat him as a turn coat. Utter greedy so and so and zero loyalty.

Ian Wallace , the most progressive signing for Coventry City , we could and should have kicked on , for you youngsters look at the league tables of 76 to 80 , that was when we were at our peak in the top flight and so happy to have been there.

Wallace must have averaged a goal every other game for 4 years at the club even after his accident

ovduk78

Dragging feet over signing Marsden as they were sniffing round Sandy Robertson. One of the biggest transfer fuck ups we've had. Marsden didn't do much elsewhere but was quality for us !
Marsden seem to lose his way at Wolves, not sure if he was injured, but was very good at Southampton and was a consistent performer for them in the PL. Robertson was very poor, not sure what happened but he wasn't with us very long

Terry Gibson's perm

Two transfers stick to mind the one I most reflect upon is the turn coat Dublin going to villa on his England call up , he left us after we gave him a platform and I said at the time that's us gone in two years and I was correct. Cant believe people CCFC wise give him so much time as I treat him as a turn coat. Utter greedy so and so and zero loyalty.

Ian Wallace , the most progressive signing for Coventry City , we could and should have kicked on , for you youngsters look at the league tables of 76 to 80 , that was when we were at our peak in the top flight and so happy to have been there.

Wallace must have averaged a goal every other game for 4 years at the club even after his accident

What accident did he have?

tommydazzle

I remember Frank Skinner being disgusted when we bought Lee Hughes for £5 mil from the Baggies as he thought West Brom was the bigger midlands team. I suppose in the end, he had the last laugh.......

Terry Gibson's perm

Had a car crash and nearly lost an eye I think

Thank you I used to work with the ex City kit man from that time and he told me a story about an accident that Wallace had some other shocking stories I couldn’t put them on here but maybe they are true

Esoterica

John Salako was one which as a 16 year old I thought was a sign of us going places. England international, still quite young. What a let down!

singers_pore

Robbie Keane for me. I remember hearing about it on the radio when I was driving through Bristol and I was so excited I could have had an accident. It was the first time since I started watching Cov in 1978 that I knew we had signed a future world superstar and that we were going to get him playing for us at the peak of his abilities. Incredible talent. I was lucky enough to see him at the end of his career as well playing for LA Galaxy. He was still the best player on the field every week.

singers_pore

Biggest disappointment for me was when we let Terry Gibson go to ManU and we got Alan Brazil in exchange. That guy was so shit. Even in those days you could see he was well on his way to becoming a real porker.

Users who are viewing this thread