Biggest Sky Blue support since? (3 Viewers)

Peter Billing Eyes

I was wondering, excluding the '87 Cup Final and the Charity Shield, what is the most recent game where we have had over 30,000 Coventry fans in attendance? Given the big games at Highfield Rd often had large away followings (or plastic mancs and scouters from Cov), I reckon it has to be as far back as the early 70's?

CovfanDan

Was thinking about this too, im too young (just!) to remember the Cup Final so this will be the biggest City support I wouldve seen. To be honest, this probably goes for most fans 30 odd and under dont it. Wow.

Grendel

Peter Billing Eyes

I remember the first ever game we played on a sunday over 40,000 at HR v Derby in the Fa Cup 0-0 around 1974 must have been 37,000 city fans there
Must've been great. I can remember a few games around the 30k mark, but it always seemed like there were loads of away fans too. Late 70's and early 80's games vs the Vile or West Brom for example.

withers

I was at that West Ham game and they didn't bring more than 3000. We also might've brought around 30,000 plus to hillsborough for the Leeds semi final

BurbageSkyBlues

singers_pore

How many west ham fans at the lc semi in 81? Crowd was 35k.

My recollection is that they had the corner of the Spion Kop terrace (which held about 3,000) plus the whole of the upper Sky Blue stand (not the Sky Blue Terrace which was where I stood). Altogether I reckon Wet Spam had about 7,000 fans there. So if we are talking Cov fans only and no away fans, then probably there were fewer Cov fans at that LC game than there will be at the Crewe game.

FWIW, we took about 7,000 to the away game as well. What a nightmare that was - utter carnage at the end.

Last edited:

singers_pore

West Ham had the whole of the Kop in the LC semi

Are you sure you're not thinking of the game against Forest when they had to draw in order to win the league. That is the only time I know of when the whole of the Spion Kop was officially given over to away fans.

rupert_bear

The West Ham home league cup semi final tie they brought a lot more than the 3000 someone said earlier. They had the away yerrace in the kop and about half of the rest of the kop, also a block and a half of the Sky Blue stand and there was a thousand or so in the West End cordoned off by the old bill, i would guess about 8000.

I remember that Grimsby game which we won 1-0 with Mick Coop penalty and it was a very large gate but Grimsby brought thousands, they were on a bit of a high, Lawrie McMenemy was their manager and had them top of their division flying high. I would guess at 15000 Grimsby fans, they massed the kop and had half the West End too. You would have to go back to the early first division days for there to be 30000 just Cov maybe even the second division promotion year. Think there was 36000 for the final match v Millwall that season

rupert_bear

Are you sure you're not thinking of the game against Forest when they had to draw in order to win the league. That is the only time I know of when the whole of the Spion Kop was officially given over to away fans.
I was in the kop that day against Forest who had about half the terrace. The one time i remember the Kop being given over 100% to away fans was for a visit of Manchester United when Tommy Docherty was their boss, early 70s i would say.

Stafford_SkBlue

I remember the first ever game we played on a sunday over 40,000 at HR v Derby in the Fa Cup 0-0 around 1974 must have been 37,000 city fans there
http://www.11v11.com/matches/coventry-city-v-derby-county-27-january-1974-213645/
there was also a bomb alert at the match,and they chanted IRA out,IRA out

That was the last 40k gate at HR.

A great evening game was;
Promotion year - 38k against Northampton - there is footage of this game and crowd scenes available on

http://www.macearchive.org/Archive/Title/midlands-news-29031967-football/MediaEntry/10309.html

Short highlights were shown on the regional news next evening, but i think the clips that survived are what was not used. City shot hits both posts and falls into the goalies arms!!
Northampton brought large support but there were on the way down from the old 1st Div to 4th Div, having had successive promotion to the 1st.

Leamington Pete

There was an FA Cup 3rd round game in about 1978/79 v West Brom. Midweek match (re arranged I think from a Saturday postponement). 38,000 there that night. I think we got a late equiliser from Alan Green. In those days we had "the cage" in the corner for away fans which held maybe 3000 max, and apart from a few sat in the corner of the Sky Blue stand, the rest tended to be City fans.

Malo

Bristol City 1977

Seem to remember 37,000 crowd of which I would estimate 4,000 bristol (they had half the west end)

Last edited:

davebow87

good job there were no perimeter fences. terrible crush in west end that night and ended up on pitch to escape injury.
Seem to remember 37,000 crowd of which I would estimate 4,000 bristol (they had half the west end)

neilyboy67

I was at the west brom 1979 fa cup match midweek and as someone has pointed out already i think gate of 38,000, west brom didnt have more than 3,000 i reckon

Another game i remember, being packed in at the west end 1978 when forest took the title? must have been 35,000? at that but forest probably had 10,000 that day

West Ham 81 35,000 but i reckon they prob had 7,000/8,000 in most parts of the ground

Flying Fokker

http://www.11v11.com/matches/coventry-city-v-derby-county-27-january-1974-213645/
there was also a bomb alert at the match,and they chanted IRA out,IRA out

I was there. Sunday lunch time game because of .the energy crisis. My first game. I cant remember the IRA stuff but it was on the back of James McDade and the Birmingham Pub bombings I guess.

The replay at the baseball ground was around 31000

Then next round it was qpr with something like 30000 crowd?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread