Bids for McNulty / McNulty to Reading (2 Viewers)

Sky Blue Harry H

If we got Peter Crouch I would be over the moon (as would the balls we would be playing up to him)

fatso

£1.2 million just seems peanuts for a quality goal scorer who almost single handedly shouldered the responsibility for our goals last season.
Even when he didn’t get on the score sheet himself, he would provide some great assists, (The play off final being a classic example)

Surely we need to decide what our priorities are as a club now.
Are we just happy to balance the books, even when we have a genuine chance of finally turning the corner and progressing?

luwalla

The gulf between wages in the Championship and League One are pretty high!

no doubt, I just dont buy that they are going to pay wages for a striker who played in league 2 last season, when they have a pretty hefty debt & reducing their wage bill to clear the debt

I guess the truth is that none of us will ever know... was he offered 7k a week here & they offered him 8k , was he on 2k a week here & they offered him 15k ... we are all just guessing really aren't we. which is why id like to see what the offer from us was & what he MIGHT take from them if he goes

Liquid Gold

Have a look at this:

Premier League and EFL wage rises analysed in Deloitte study

Obviously it doesn't say every player and how much, but when the teams in the Championship spend £561m on wages and League One is £113m you get an idea on the big step up.
So much of that will be the teams relegated from the prem being paid well over the odds though. Loew championship teams won't be too much of a step up, particularly considering we offered him a new deal.

luwalla

£1.2 million just seems peanuts for a quality goal scorer who almost single handedly shouldered the responsibility for our goals last season.
Even when he didn’t get on the score sheet himself, he would provide some great assists, (The play off final being a classic example)

Are we just happy to balance the books, even when we have a genuine chance of finally turning the corner and progressing?

agreed it is lower than most would have accepted him going for... but if a player is saying he wants out & pushing the move ( which is what the feeling is I think isnt it ) then you push for as much as you think you can get without letting the saga drag on too long & both upsetting the vibe in the team here and leaving you no time to replace the outgoing player.

Its a totally different negotiating position from where a player is happy to stay & another club are just desperate for you to sell him to them I think...

Grendel

So much of that will be the teams relegated from the prem being paid well over the odds though. Loew championship teams won't be too much of a step up, particularly considering we offered him a new deal.

Readings first ream wage bill is £28 million. It’s 7 times our likely wage bill next season

SkyBlueCRJ

Is it peanuts though? At the end of the day receiving 1.2 million up front for a striker who has only found success at League Two level isn't bad business. There have been ridiculous claims on here that value McNulty at between 2-4 million. Considering he's 26 in September and has only had one 20+ goal season in his career what would your realistic valuation be?

fernandopartridge

Is it peanuts though? At the end of the day receiving 1.2 million up front for a striker who has only found success at League Two level isn't bad business. There have been ridiculous claims on here that value McNulty at between 2-4 million. Considering he's 26 in September and has only had one 20+ goal season in his career what would your realistic valuation be?

Jermaine Pennant cost £2m as a 15 year old in 1999

Nick

Administrator
All of the news sites reporting it all seem to say he is the one pushing for it and we want him to stay with an upgraded contract.

Reading FC: Royals reportedly agree fee for target Marc McNulty

The Edinburgh-born forward notched 23 league goals in 45 games under Mark Robins last season and Coventry are keen for him to remain at the Ricoh Arena next year.

Robins confirmed Coventry have offered McNulty a new contract, but a well-placed source revealed the 25-year-old prefers a move to the Championship with Reading.

Fans have already dubbed McNulty the next Adam Le Fondre and several supporters have urged Royals to conclude the deal.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Cheltenham want 2m for Eisa so I’d have thought our valuation of McNulty would have been nearer that

better days

He’s on what? About 2-3k here, tripling that to 10k isn’t hard in the championship. So not beyond the realms of possibility
I'd say you're not far off what he was on here but as I suspect he'll be on quite a bit more than £10k a week in the Championship
The average wage in the Championship will include young players who've come through the ranks and journeymen on middling deals but players like McNulty who've been bought for big money will be the biggest earners

Magwitch

If we sell McNulty so long as any fee is used to make us better I’ll go along with that, I remember selling Phil Babb for £5million and getting Dion Dublin for 2 mill, big Dion made us a better team imo. McNulty got 28 goals a brilliant achievement but our next highest I think was Max with 9 that’s not enough, for better having three or four in double figures.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I'd say you're not far off what he was on here but as I suspect he'll be on quite a bit more than £10k a week in the Championship
The average wage in the Championship will include young players who've come through the ranks and journeymen on middling deals but players like McNulty who've been bought for big money will be the biggest earners
Yeah, like I was saying - tripling his wages would be easy for Reading.

At the end of the day he’s not the first player to leave and he certainly won’t be the last. Good Luck to him

luwalla

is 1.2 million "big Money" for a championship transfer though ?
which is my point about his wages maybe not being a big as some might think - The record transfer fees waiting to be broken in the Championship
his transfer fee is about 10% of most of those. 10-12 million... and 9 out of the 11 were in the last two years.

Magwitch

Wasn't it £1.5 million they wanted? Plus he's nearly 3 years younger than McNulty, surely that would factor into his valuation.
We have makeweights such as Stokes, Vincetti, Beavon might help reduce a fee if Cheltenham were interested that is

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Wasn't it £1.5 million they wanted? Plus he's nearly 3 years younger than McNulty, surely that would factor into his valuation.
Fair point. Did Eisa score goals the year before? Or like McNulty was it the first good season?

I mean you could factor in that McNulty has already played at a higher level and is somewhat proven. I would say that why age is on Eisa’s side McNulty has scored goals at a higher level

CCFC_Charlie

Eisa isn't going to come here when Championship sides have been interested in him plus we'd never spend that much on a player, stop deluding yourselves.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I mean is it worth making a cheeky bid for Armstrong? His stock can’t be high given that he’s not proven above league one.

He had an alright half season at Blackburn but hasn’t really hit the heights he did with us? Do Newcastle still highly rate him at 21?

Sky Blue Pete

I think if he / his agent wanted to stay here they would have signed the improved contract straight away wouldn't they? The fact it hasn't been signed kind of shows they are seeing what else is about.

Fact is, he will probably triple his wage at least and probably go a good way to setting himself and family up nicely for after he retires.

It will be a blow but I think Robins will have it in mind and have replacements lined up.

If he wants to do it, it should be done now. Not like when George Thomas pissed about last season.
Many players are still negotiating their contracts. Pretty much every new player got a 2 year deal last season so many are agreeing follow ups

Paxman II

Anyone considered MR's may be quite content to let McNulty go? He scored well last season in the fourth tier. No guarantee he can emulate that in the third tier, remembering his first 15 games or so he couldn't hit a barn door!
MR's may well be engineering this move as he has been promised the fee for new players. He may well have some experienced goal scorer lying in wait who can drive us forward and get among the chasing promotion pack.
As for Eisa? I watched him at Cheltenham when we thrashed them. The difference in movement of him and McNulty were chalk and cheese. McNulty was far superior.
Could it be the time for a cheeky bid for Armstrong? A player who scored for fun with us for a while in league 1 and has not done himself justice at Newcastle or his loan at Barnsley was it?
Similar player to McNulty in finding space, quick and a good finisher.
I guess we all have to watch this space as they say.....

Grendel

Anyone considered MR's may be quite content to let McNulty go? He scored well last season in the fourth tier. No guarantee he can emulate that in the third tier, remembering his first 15 games or so he couldn't hit a barn door!
MR's may well be engineering this move as he has been promised the fee for new players. He may well have some experienced goal scorer lying in wait who can drive us forward and get among the chasing promotion pack.
As for Eisa? I watched him at Cheltenham when we thrashed them. The difference in movement of him and McNulty were chalk and cheese. McNulty was far superior.
Could it be the time for a cheeky bid for Armstrong? A player who scored for fun with us for a while in league 1 and has not done himself justice at Newcastle or his loan at Barnsley was it?
Similar player to McNulty in finding space, quick and a good finisher.
I guess we all have to watch this space as they say.....

Armstrong was dire in the second half of the season with us and has done little since

No thanks

SkyBlueCRJ

Fair point. Did Eisa score goals the year before? Or like McNulty was it the first good season?

I mean you could factor in that McNulty has already played at a higher level and is somewhat proven. I would say that why age is on Eisa’s side McNulty has scored goals at a higher level

He had a good stint in non-league but other than that nothing worth shouting about. Hence why Mo Eisa's age is probably why his value is slightly higher than what McNulty has apparently gone for.

Paxman II

Armstrong was dire in the second half of the season with us and has done little since

No thanks
That's my point, he was but he also scored for fun for the first half or so of the season much the way McNulty did the same only in reverse sequence. he is a goal scorer and could reestablish that back here. Confidence is a wonderful thing when you are given it.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

That's my point, he was but he also scored for fun for the first half or so of the season much the way McNulty did the same only in reverse sequence. he is a goal scorer and could reestablish that back here. Confidence is a wonderful thing when you are given it.
It’s also why I think he won’t be as expensive as once thought - he’s 21 now, it’s really make or break for him.

Captain Dart

No loyalty in football. Face it any manager will dump a player if they fail to deliver.

Can't blame the lad, he has only 3 or 4 years left in which to earn the sort of money being talked about, unless he can kick on and make it higher, which he won't do by remaining at a League One outfit. He has to take the chance and Robins has to replace him.

Grendel

He’s averaged about a goal every 6 or 7 games since the December he played for us

The half a season of success was the exception - clearly not the norm

Grendel

McNulty going leaves a massive gap and we need to get someone who is proven to get goals in L1. I hope any transfer money received goes straight to Robins to reinvest.

Yawn yawn yawn

Users who are viewing this thread