Transfer Rumour Bids for Chaplin (1 Viewer)

Grendel

That’s a bit before my time.

10 mins per goal more and roughly 50% more assists per minute as well.

And IMO strikers need runs of games which Jordy had more of.

I think we had three OK strikers last season. None set the world alight but none were terrible either. If we clicked more as a team any one of them is a potential 20 goal striker IMO.

Bakayoko and his 17 freak minutes were that - withdraw that and the penalty and you have what he’s always been - a 1 goal in 6 striker. Also it assists players like him who are abject and get withdrawn before 90 minutes

mark82

There is no guarantee we'll reinvest the money. We've already spent this summer, the Wilson deal didn't happen and there is a massive hole in the finances because of reduced ST sales.

Maybe we will, but I'm not expecting it, and if we do it'll be borrowed money.

Yeah, I think the player in up front could be on loan, but we'll see.

shmmeee

Bakayoko and his 17 freak minutes were that - withdraw that and the penalty and you have what he’s always been - a 1 goal in 6 striker. Also it assists players like him who are abject and get withdrawn before 90 minutes

Fair points. I’ll stick by it though, Baka is probably less of a goal scorer than the others but lots of strikers have “freak” spells a few times a season. Even the mighty McNulty relied on a couple of purple patches.

Reactions: vow

fatso

Great business for city, Chaplin's not a bad player, but he just was never going to suit the way MR wants to play, (more evidence of the absolute shite recruitment last year)
Great move for the lad, no doubt he's got a massive pay rise along with championship football. Good luck to him!

skybluebeast

How much did Biamou’s injury have a factor on Chaplin’s production I wonder. We lost McNulty, we replaced him with Chaplin, you could see he had the same ‘footballing’ brain as McNulty (all be it a little more raw due to age), but with Biamou’s injury we were maybe forced to change shape and focus Robins had planned to use when originally bringing Chaplin in. We must all remember that McNulty while looking the part, did not actually achieve anything until he was put up front with Biamou who acted as his foil. I have feeling this is what Robins had originally intended to happen last year.
Now I know you’re all going to say why let him go now then with Biamou fit, answer is we are still a selling club and if a team comes in with an offer of doubling your money we are going to snap their hands off. Especially if you can reinvest say 60-75% of that and keep the 25%.

Grendel

How much did Biamou’s injury have a factor on Chaplin’s production I wonder. We lost McNulty, we replaced him with Chaplin, you could see he had the same ‘footballing’ brain as McNulty (all be it a little more raw due to age), but with Biamou’s injury we were maybe forced to change shape and focus Robins had planned to use when originally bringing Chaplin in. We must all remember that McNulty while looking the part, did not actually achieve anything until he was put up front with Biamou who acted as his foil. I have feeling this is what Robins had originally intended to happen last year.
Now I know you’re all going to say why let him go now then with Biamou fit, answer is we are still a selling club and if a team comes in with an offer of doubling your money we are going to snap their hands off. Especially if you can reinvest say 60-75% of that and keep the 25%.

McNulty scoring ratio was identical with or without Biamou and he was injured when we signed him

oucho

Can't believe we've mugged off a higher league club with Chaplin, and for a fee it seems. Nice work MR / Dave Boddy / Tim...

Now time to tiptoe away very slowly whilst the ink dries and the money is confirmed in our account, before they realise they've been had

SkyblueBazza

Can't believe we've mugged off a higher league club with Chaplin, and for a fee it seems. Nice work MR / Dave Boddy / Tim...

Now time to tiptoe away very slowly whilst the ink dries and the money is confirmed in our account, before they realise they've been had
Oh yeah tempter of fate!

I foresee CCFC promotion within 2yrs...& us being on the receiving end of a Chaplin double hat-trick over the two games!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

skyblue025

Thought he was a decent player despite us not really playing him in his best position. Too much money to turn down for him. Good luck to the lad.

Last edited:

Magwitch

Like we mugged off Bristol Rovers with JCH, doubling our money for Chaplin in twelve months is okay but we have got to get his replacement right and JCH hasn’t been replaced yet either.

christonabike

This made me laugh at the Barnsley forum.....
"There is enough evidence to say that this is true as a rumour. It seems clear that we really do want him, presumably on the basis of his stats. He really didn't pull up any trees at Coventry and didn't always make the starting eleven. Perhaps he didn't want to go to Coventry and never gave his all for the team, wanted always to come to us and still does. If the board and coaching staff think he is what we need and that they can develop him further, that will do for me. I look forward to tomorrow's (or this evening's news). I still think that we could do with one more striker, though, and are probably still looking.

Great_Expectations

Good move for all parties.

Chaplin is young and therefore has plenty of time to improve, however unlike some of you I really didn’t see much to base his potential on. I thought his movement was poor, his first touch off and despite pulling into the 10 role a lot, he was by no means creative - he certainly couldn’t pick a pass or take players on. However, it’s also fair to say we didn’t see the best of him, as based on Pompey fans descriptions, he’s a poacher and plays better with a target man. Something we didn’t do last season and it seems unlikely this.

From the clubs perspective, we have made money from the sale and it hopefully allows us to progress other transfers in. Ideally Bright and Walker.

MR said he wouldn’t let him go without having a replacement lined up, so it seems plausible to think we’ll have a striker incoming soon.

Despite seeing little from him to suggest he’s Championship quality, I do feel slightly frustrated we didn’t see the qualities MR must have seen, but I don’t think we ever would have.

If we do sign Walker, he’s also young, has potential and is coming off the back of a successful season. Seems a no brainer to me.

Sick Boy

Good move for all parties.

Chaplin is young and therefore has plenty of time to improve, however unlike some of you I really didn’t see much to base his potential on. I thought his movement was poor, his first touch off and despite pulling into the 10 role a lot, he was by no means creative - he certainly couldn’t pick a pass or take players on. However, it’s also fair to say we didn’t see the best of him, as based on Pompey fans descriptions, he’s a poacher and plays better with a target man. Something we didn’t do last season and it seems unlikely this.

From the clubs perspective, we have made money from the sale and it hopefully allows us to progress other transfers in. Ideally Bright and Walker.

MR said he wouldn’t let him go without having a replacement lined up, so it seems plausible to think we’ll have a striker incoming soon.

Despite seeing little from him to suggest he’s Championship quality, I do feel slightly frustrated we didn’t see the qualities MR must have seen, but I don’t think we ever would have.

If we do sign Walker, he’s also young, has potential and is coming off the back of a successful season. Seems a no brainer to me.

Fans had written off McNulty before he was played in a system that suited him. This is going to be one we end up regretting.

Great_Expectations

Fans had written off McNulty before he was played in a system that suited him. This is going to be one we end up regretting.

McNulty was different. A lot of fans has written him off, but I think that was due to a lack of footballing knowledge and purely based on goals scored. McNulty always had good movement, pace and the ability to run at defenders; it was evident he’d come good. I haven’t seen the same from Chaplin.

fatso

McNulty was different. A lot of fans has written him off, but I think that was due to a lack of footballing knowledge and purely based on goals scored. McNulty always had good movement, pace and the ability to run at defenders; it was evident he’d come good. I haven’t seen the same from Chaplin.
Amazing how hes done absolutely fuck all since leaving here, despite his "good movement, pace and ability to run at defenders"
He had a little purple patch and that was that,
Every dog has his day, and hes had his.

steve82

It’s likely Chaplin will look more comfortable next to the big Keiffer Moore and notch a few in the championship and fans will look at that as a point to we should not of sold for the price we did to a club playing in the championship.

However if we’re not playing a way or style he’d prefer to bring the best out of his game then doubling your outlay in 12 months to then likely invest in another striker for the coming season in mind or area of the side it’s good business.

You got to break some eggs to improve the omelette to create a better recipe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great_Expectations

Amazing how hes done absolutely fuck all since leaving here, despite his "good movement, pace and ability to run at defenders"
He had a little purple patch and that was that,
Every dog has his day, and hes had his.

He’s been gone one season and is only 26, he has a few more years left to prove it wasn’t a purple patch.

Plus, I wouldn’t class 8 goals in 17 appearances for Hibs and an international call up as ‘fuck all’.

And for the record I’m not one of those clambering to have him back, but my point remains; it was always obvious he has talent, despite some of the knuckledraggers not seeing it initially.

Sick Boy

It wasn’t evident to most fans, even around November they’d completely written McNulty off.

Otis

Thought he was a decent player despite us not really playing him in his best position. Too much money to turn down for him. Good luck to the lad.
Agree with this and we hardly ever played him in his rightful position. Barnsley obviously see great potential in him. I think he will be a very decent player.

Only reason I am happy to see him go is because seemingly he just doesn't fit our system.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

See I disagree, I think Chaplin is more of a finisher than player like McNulty was.

For me Chaplin had intelligence and got in the right areas all the time... unfortunately (I note the irony from my top paragraph) he could not put the ball in the net.

If anything I think this is down to confidence

Sbarcher

His Wiki page showing current club as Barnsley.

Users who are viewing this thread