Best City XI of All-time (Strikers) (4 Viewers)

Otis

Yes, it was pure genius wasn't it? Had a perfect view from the "Crow's Nest" at the top of the Kop :)
Yep, I was pretty close to you too that day then. I was just slightly lower down, but from what I remember it was a really poor game, but with that one sensational goal from Hunt. It was a gem.

Astute

Dublin.... one of our best strikers ever. And also one of our best defenders ever.

Quinn..... give him the ball and he would put it away. Defenders bounced off him. Not with us for long but loved every minute of it.

fernandopartridge

Dublin and Keane

Keane is a superb footballer, his record is immense and even at 19 he was a class above.

I'm a bit loathe to put Dublin after the Luton debacle but can't deny what a talisman he was.

CJ_covblaze

Dublin and Huckerby. Surprised no one else has mentioned Hucks. Was a tough one between him and Keane but the length of his City career swung it. 1990s.

mechaishida

The best partnerships I've seen, for that almost telepathic understanding between the front two, are Quinn/Rosario and Keane/Roussel. Dublin and Huckerby had a good understanding and got more goals, as did Ferguson/Wallace, but for me, the level of coherence between Quinn and Rosario was superb.

Quinn suffered greatly when Rosario left, imo.

So, for me it's Quinn/Rosario. 80's

Skyblueweeman

Speedie and either Keane or Dublin...hmmm...I think despite the way he left, Dublin did excite when he played. As did Keane but there was the versatility with Dion.

So, Speedie and Dublin.

80s.

But surely Burton is our greatest ever striker? Just because no one seen him play, he won't get any votes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Moff

Keane and Speedie. (speedie for the outrageous goals he scored from nothing)

Close but no cigar, Dublin, Whelan, Huckerby, Wallace, Ferguson, and Regis.

mechaishida

Speedie and either Keane or Dublin...hmmm...I think despite the way he left, Dublin did excite when he played. As did Keane but there was the versatility with Dion.

So, Speedie and Dublin.

80s.

But surely Burton is our greatest ever striker? Just because no one seen him play, he won't get any votes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dublin and Speedie (as a second striker) would have been an awesome pairing, if the two had chemistry. And been at the club at the same time, naturally.

Aye Clarrie Bourton was in my thoughts, but then I guess only Grendel can vouch for his ability. ;)

CJ_covblaze

jimmyhillsfanclub

Terry Gibson & Dion Dublin.

Gibbo was so prolific & keep in mind he probably played at least half of his games alongside various journeymen donkeys.....

If he played alongside Dion, I reckon they'd have got 50+ between them per season....

Oh yeah...I still started supporting City in the 1970's

DazzleTommyDazzle

If we were voting for a partnership then it would have to be Ferguson and Wallace.

As individuals, I think that Wallace has to be in there - the best and probably bravest finisher I ever saw in a Cov shirt. For the other, it's really got to be Dublin. Such a consistently good performer while he was with us.

Honourable mentions to Neil Martin (my first Sky Blue hero), Ernie Hunt, Colin Stein, Terry Gibson, Cyrille Regis, Hucks and Robbie Keane.

60's

bezzer

Wallace and Dublin.

If anything, that'd be better than the Wallace/Ferguson partnership (only just).

70's.

Qwerty70

I just missed out on Wallace/Ferguson but the records speak for themselves.
Can only vote on what you see and going for traditional big un / little un combo.
Big: Dublin close Regis
Small: Gallagher close Keane & Gibson.

5 great strikers, in today's market prob 75 million plus!!

Pete in Portugal

We've had so many class acts including Stein, Dublin, Wallace, & Keane.

However, for me it has to be George Hudson, who helped secured our promotion from the old 3rd Division and Neil Martin, who played a big part in keeping us in the old 1st Division in the early years after promotion. Hudson was a mercurial entertainer who could hit the ball like a bullet. Martin was a very brave striker, who worked tirelessly and was fantastic in the air.

60's

Last edited:

Citysince47

The thread title is "Best City 11 of ALL TIME (Strikers}. Therefore can only be Clarrie Bourton and George Hudson.

Colin Steins Smile

We've had some great strikers over the years. My favourites are:

Neil Martin & John O'Rourke - 60's

Colin Stein & David Cross 70's

Garry Thompson & Tommy English 80's

Dion Dublin & Darren Huckerby/Peter Nudlov....90's & 00's

Robbie Keane & Cedric Russell 00's

Overall Dion Dublin stands out!

Adge

Dublin and Keane. Regis just misses out behind Dublin.

Decade 80's.

phildownunder

Dublin and Wallace.

Only saw Dublin 4 or 5 times but his record speaks for itself. As for Wallace, no justification needed to anyone who saw him play for us.

60 s (as a regular).

Best partnership was Wallace and Ferguson but Dion Dublin is the best striker I've seen at the club and Robbie Keane the most talented, but was only here for a short time. All things considered I will say Dublin and Wallace.
70s

rupert_bear

Seen all the main strikers since the JH days and George Hudson was God, unbelievable ball skill ability, two good feet and strong in the air, can never understand why he wasn't an established top division star. Loved Colin Stein too, great player, there are others Mick Ferguson, Terry Gibson, Mickey Quinn, David Speedie Cyrille Regis and of course Robbie Keane but I have to go on consistency in the top division, goal scoring and not in the best of teams so l plump for Dion Dublin and Ian Wallace he would have scored a pan full work Dion next to him

So I repeat Dion Dublin and Ian Wallace.

60s

Ranjit Bhurpa

Although well before my time, how can we ignore Clarrie Bourton, our all time record goalscorer with 173 goals in 228 games. And for those who say he didn't perform at the highest level, he once scored 4 in a First Division game at Old Trafford (admittedly for Blackburn).

And the perfect foil for Bourton...........Ian Wallace.

1960's

wingy

Cheers all, voting now closed. The final results to be released shortly!
Got to say Lee this has been a brilliant thing you've done here and sorry I haven't fully participated.
That's mostly to do with a shit memory of the 60's and 70's.
Of course it's not totally definitive but has been a fun distraction through the Christmas period. :)

jimmyhillsfanclub

Well said wingy.....

Top stuff lee....I too have enjoyed this process.....even though xmas has also limited my voting to about half the team...ive enjoyed reading all the threads....

Still in shock about boateng too.... :)

Users who are viewing this thread