Best City XI of All-time (Strikers) (1 Viewer)

skybluelee

Ok bring it on, this should be interesting. The best 2 strikers of all-time plus the decade you started supporting the club. Voting closes on Thursday at 8pm.

My votes;

Dion - Unplayable in 97/98, simply unplayable. Didn't see him lose out in an aerial battle once. 72 goals at a rate of a goal every 2.5 games overall, in the most part for a struggling side.

Keane - obviously only here for a short time but he oozed class for such a young lad. Would have loved to have seen him and Dion in the same team.

Honourable mentions for Terry Gibson and Cyrille.

Cheers

Monners

Rather than a partnership - I will choose purely on individual merit.

Dion Dublin - class act and a great leader.

Cyrille Regis - not prolific, and a sentimental vote in some ways, but oozed class when on his game. Also, for one of the best examples of centre forward play that you will ever see with his perfomrance in the Cup Final.

1970's

Last edited:

Terry Gibson's perm

Dublin and Keane

Terry Gibson and Mick Quinn close for goals alone

Mick Harford for his scoring record

80's

Hobo

Dion Dublin and Ian Wallace.
Mick Ferguson, Robbie Keane and Terry Gibson not far behind.

WestEndAgro

Dion and anyone of Gallagher, Regis, Speedo, Quinn, Gibbo, Keane, Wallace 70's

Otis

Dion Dublin and Ian Wallace.
Mick Ferguson, Robbie Keane and Terry Gibson not far behind.
Yep, same here.

Dion Dublin (who should win one of the places by a country mile) and Ian Wallace, who was the best finisher I've ever seen (apart from Adam Armstrong of course.)

Dublin and Wallace.

60's.

Calista

There are plenty to choose from including Hudson, Gould, Ferguson, Wallace, Houchen, Regis, Quinn and Gibson. The sensible choice would no doubt be Dublin and Keane.

But I’m going for a couple of old favourites - Neil Martin (for his incredible heading ability and underrated all-round play), and Ernie Hunt (for pure entertainment).

1960's

Johnnythespider

Someone to get on the end of all the crosses from Hutch and Bennett, so Dion Dublin gets the vote along with the best finisher I ever saw Ian Wallace.
Mentions for Ferguson, Gibson, Keane.
70s

torchomatic

Wally and Fergie
70s

Gazolba

Two Scots: Ian Wallace and Neil Martin (but it was really George Hudson). 60's.

Irish Sky Blue

Loved Ferguson and Wallace, Fergie fantastic in the air, Wallace a great finisher, the beat strike partnership we have had. Another great partnership were Stein and Alderson. Ernie Hunt was great entertainment, scorer of my favourite ever City goal, from the half way line against Burnley, early seventies. Neil Martin was a real all round centre forward, good on the ground but fantastic in the air. Dublin was a class act as was Keene. However my two for the all round team would be Wallace partnered by Cyrille Regis.
1960s

stupot07

Dublin and Quinn

80's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Alkhen

Dion and Keane would make cracking partners. They get my vote. I loved Huckerby for excitement value but not above those two

Otis

Surprised I haven't seen a mention of David Cross.
Not when you've got Dublin and Wallace and Keane and Gibson and Stein and Fergie, Wingy.

Personally I'm not surprised at all. We've had some great players in that position over the years.

wingy

Not when you've got Dublin and Wallace and Keane and Gibson and Stein and Fergie, Wingy.

Personally I'm not surprised at all. We've had some great players in that position over the years.
Oh, no doubting that Otis, many many talented strikers over the last 40-50 yrs
Just fancied throwing a forgotten name out there.

letsallsingtogether

Dion and Keane would make cracking partners. They get my vote. I loved Huckerby for excitement value but not above those two

Got to agree about Huckerby he never knew what he was going to do, that last minute goal against Man united one of the best.

In fact off to watch it again now:D

Calista

Loved Ferguson and Wallace, Fergie fantastic in the air, Wallace a great finisher, the beat strike partnership we have had. Another great partnership were Stein and Alderson. Ernie Hunt was great entertainment, scorer of my favourite ever City goal, from the half way line against Burnley, early seventies. Neil Martin was a real all round centre forward, good on the ground but fantastic in the air. Dublin was a class act as was Keene. However my two for the all round team would be Wallace partnered by Cyrille Regis.
1960s

Yes, it was pure genius wasn't it? Had a perfect view from the "Crow's Nest" at the top of the Kop :)

SkyBlueSid

We've certainly had some real talent on these positions in the years I've been following City. I do agree that names like Stein, Martin, Keane, Gibson, Dublin, Hunt, Quinn and Ferguson deserve a mention.

However, I was privileged to see City in the 60s, which clearly many posters weren't. So for me the greatest strikers we have had in my era, by some distance, have been George Hudson and Ian Wallace.

Users who are viewing this thread