Best City XI of all-time (Right-back) (1 Viewer)

chiefdave

Borrows
80s

Was hard to choose between him and Nilsson, came down to how long he was here and how reliable he was.

Grendel

Danny Thomas was the best - Nillson was ok but wouldn't even get in my top 5

Johnnythespider

Danny Thomas for me too, would have gone to the top of the game but for injury. I loved Roland he was an immaculate player and Borrows was very unfortunate to miss the cup final.

ccfcway

Martin Booty

90's

(I have a signed shirt of his, so If I can drive up the price due to him winning this, I will be happy)

Leamington Pete

Danny Thomas for me too. Super ice cool under pressure. Would certainly have had a very successful career if he hadn't been crocked.

1970s

Amazonian

Grew up watching Mick Coop with the 'Coop Scoop'.

420+ appearances over 15 years.

A true servant of our club.

For me though, I have to plump for Danny Thomas

Otis

Grew up watching Mick Coop with the 'Coop Scoop'.

420+ appearances over 15 years.

A true servant of our club.

For me though, I have to plump for Danny Thomas
Coop was steady, but not spectacular and Thomas was very, very good.

Have to think Graham Oakey would have been one of the best too if he hadn't have cruelly had his career cut short.

Otis

No Marc Edworthy or Louis Carey?

Controversial.

Carey was a strange one wasn't he. He was exdcellent for Bristol City, then came here and was really poor and then went back to Bristol City and was excellent again.

Wonder if he maybe just didn't settle in the area here.

shmmeee

Tough one. Nilsson edges it for international experience, but Borrows was class.

So:

Nilsson

90s (just - first game 1990)

Moff

Danny Thomas. Only saw him for a couple of seasons as I was only young, but he was pure class, and became an England International whilst still with us.

Found it difficult to pick him over Bugsy or Nillson though.

skybluelee

Thanks for the votes, 49 in so far. Keep them coming. Voting ends at 12pm on Monday before we move onto LBs.

oscillatewildly

Might have to be 'none' based on the ones I've seen:whistle:
I think you're a bit older than me NW, but I remember one we sold in 1980 and I know we've never come close to replacing him for ability since.
Don't want to ruin this thread by inadvertently moving on to the next, so won't drop his name. And er, apologies for bringing up the issue of age in my opening line;)

Sbarcher

Let me guess next one - Best Kit Man of all time?

Johnnythespider

I think you're a bit older than me NW, but I remember one we sold in 1980 and I know we've never come close to replacing him for ability since.
Don't want to ruin this thread by inadvertently moving on to the next, so won't drop his name. And er, apologies for bringing up the issue of age in my opening line;)
I know who you're talking about

Gazolba

It's pretty obvious that all of these opinions depend on the age of the forum poster. I'm not even sure that you can compare players from different eras anyway, the game has changed so much over the years.

Otis

Might have to be 'none' based on the ones I've seen:whistle:
Were you not old enough to see Stuart Pearce?

Absolutely brilliant left back for us and though he only played 52 games for us, I would say most certainly the best I've ever seen for the City.

Bobby McDonald was also really, really good, but when we signed Pearce and I first saw him I knew he was destined to bag many England caps in the future.

oscillatewildly

Were you not old enough to see Stuart Pearce?

Absolutely brilliant left back for us and though he only played 52 games for us, I would say most certainly the best I've ever seen for the City.

Bobby McDonald was also really, really good, but when we signed Pearce and I first saw him I knew he was destined to bag many England caps in the future.
Pearce was good Otis, but he really became the player we acknowledge after he left us and was tutored by Clough/Taylor. I still wouldn't put him ahead of the former villa player I'm thinking of who got dogs loads when he came back with his new club because of the way he left.

Users who are viewing this thread