Best City XI of all-time - LM/LW (1 Viewer)

davebart

Ronnie Rees all day long. It was only after he stopped playing that I realised how good he was. There was never anyone came along to compare.
However it is difficult to leave out hutch from a best ever.

davebart

Gibson was a No 10 and very much a forward not a midfielder. But brilliant. Unfortunately never fulfilled his potential because of off field problems. My favourite player but you could't put him in an all time greatest because of that. Keano was a very similar talent but he did fulfil his potential.

Otis

Gibson was a No 10 and very much a forward not a midfielder. But brilliant. Unfortunately never fulfilled his potential because of off field problems. My favourite player but you could't put him in an all time greatest because of that. Keano was a very similar talent but he did fulfil his potential.
I have such a vague memory of Ian Gibson. Was he in and out of the side a lot? And what were the off field problems?

Otis

I see he played 93 games in 4 years, so he must have been missing for large chunks at a time.

Pete in Portugal

I have such a vague memory of Ian Gibson. Was he in and out of the side a lot? And what were the off field problems?

I vaguely remember he was involved in some sort of gambling scandal, which led to disciplinary action by the club. I remember seeing flashes of genius from this little ball control wizard, but he was inconsistent.

Best LW for me was Tommy Hutch who was consistently our best attacker in Div 1. Having said that, Ronnie Rees was the most 'electric' in that position and was almost unplayable on his day.

Otis

I vaguely remember he was involved in some sort of gambling scandal, which led to disciplinary action by the club. I remember seeing flashes of genius from this little ball control wizard, but he was inconsistent.

Best LW for me was Tommy Hutch who was consistently our best attacker in Div 1. Having said that, Ronnie Rees was the most 'electric' in that position and was almost unplayable on his day.
Thanks Pete.

Would have loved to have seen more of Ian Gibson and to have seen George Hudson play too.

The first truly gifted player I remember for the City was Ernie Hunt. He was a genius at times.

Calista

Hutch will obviously win this part of the poll, and I do have marvellous memories of watching him play. But just to be contrary, I'll go for Steve Hunt, who had more end product in terms of goals and quality crosses.

Johnnythespider

Hutch will obviously win this part of the poll, and I do have marvellous memories of watching him play. But just to be contrary, I'll go for Steve Hunt, who had more end product in terms of goals and quality crosses.
More of an inside left I think, I'm saving him for later

bringbackrattles

Thanks Pete.

Would have loved to have seen more of Ian Gibson and to have seen George Hudson play too.

The first truly gifted player I remember for the City was Ernie Hunt. He was a genius at times.
Hudson is my all time favourite City player,and saw him score a hat-trick on his debut.Gibbo was a talented player and on his day was a class act,as too was Ernie Hunt.I'm so lucky to be able to say I saw so many top class players turning out for the Sky Blues,and also to talk about seeing so many memorable moments,like Ernie's donkey kick goal as I was stood behind the goal it went in,and it was featured at the start of Match Of The Day with me and the rest of the West End too !

rupert_bear

Ian Gibson was caught up on some sort of betting fiddle other players were too, certain he wasn't prosecuted though. I lived in Widdrington Road and Gibbo used to lodge at Ellys Road a big house owned by bookmaker Peter Thoms. Imagine that having a player like him living on the doorstep and yes we knocked the door and invited him up the local rec for a kick about which he obliged now and again, I made sure I had first pick. Had a lot of hamstring injuries I am a bit biased but he was such a great player, we were a different team when he played. Put it this way find another like him we would be in the Prem in 2 years no problem.

Otis

Ian Gibson was caught up on some sort of betting fiddle other players were too, certain he wasn't prosecuted though. I lived in Widdrington Road and Gibbo used to lodge at Ellys Road a big house owned by bookmaker Peter Thoms. Imagine that having a player like him living on the doorstep and yes we knocked the door and invited him up the local rec for a kick about which he obliged now and again, I made sure I had first pick. Had a lot of hamstring injuries I am a bit biased but he was such a great player, we were a different team when he played. Put it this way find another like him we would be in the Prem in 2 years no problem.
Well I dare say I may well have picked him if I had seen him play more than a couple of times, but I didn't.

Do you still want me to pick him anyway? ;)

skyblueinBaku

Well I dare say I may well have picked him if I had seen him play more than a couple of times, but I didn't.

Do you still want me to pick him anyway? ;)

Otis, pick Ronnie Rees. I would have, but I've already picked him for the right winger.

Otis

Otis, pick Ronnie Rees. I would have, but I've already picked him for the right winger.
Don't remember Rees so well either. I remember him as a left winger, but I also recall Dave Clements playing wide left quite a lot when I was going up.

SkyBlueSid

Like some others, I think it is impossible to leave Tommy Hutchison out of a greatest City XI. He is certainly the best player I have seen play for City in my 50-odd years watching them, so he is my vote without any hesitation.

There are a few honourable mentions though. Ronnie Rees certainly, he was a vital part of the 2 promotions. Dave Clements, Peter Ndlovu, Ernie Hunt - all different types of player but all rightly regarded as legends.

Samo

Yep Tommy Hutch for me!

Houdi

Tommy Hutchison by a country mile. Ronnie Rees was a great winger too, but he played at lower level than Hutchison.did. We have had quite a few very good left wingers since, but none really come close to Tommy Hutch who was a mercurial talent. I would imagine there would not be many if any Cov fans who saw him play,who wouldn't pick him, he was that good.

oscillatewildly

It's Tommy Hutch for me, but have to agree with other poster's who acknowledge we've had something bordering on 'riches' for talent in that role compared with staggering dearth in other areas.
1970's.

Malaka

It can only be Hutchison, I pity you guys too young to have seen him play, he was awesome.

skybluelee

It can only be Hutchison, I pity you guys too young to have seen him play, he was awesome.

I often feel particularly feel for those youngsters that never saw us in the top flight at all. This season aside it must have been one hell of a tough gig for the last 15 years. At least us older fans have our FA Cup/promotion/regularly beating Liverpool/Arsenal/Man Utd/Chelsea memories to hold on to.

chiefdave

Think I'm going to go for Hucks out on the wing. Would put him up front but there's some strong competition there.

80's

Users who are viewing this thread