Best City XI of all-time - LM/LW (1 Viewer)

skybluelee

Ok guys, we are now onto Left-sided midfielders, as part of a 4-4-2 formation to keep it simple. Same as before, best player of all-time and the decade you started supporting the club. Voting ends on Friday at 1pm.

My vote - Ndlovu. No player in my lifetime created more expectation and excitement when he got on the ball. Loved him to bits.

Decade - 80s

skybluelee

First of many votes I would think for the one and only Tommy Hutchison.
60s

Yeah, kind of expecting a 100% return on Hutchison from anybody who saw him play. I don't think I've even seen any video clips of his goals. Didn't he beat almost the entire Arsenal team before scoring at Highbury once or is that just an apocryphal tale?

Irish Sky Blue

Yeah, kind of expecting a 100% return on Hutchison from anybody who saw him play. I don't think I've even seen any video clips of his goals. Didn't he beat almost the entire Arsenal team before scoring at Highbury once or is that just an apocryphal tale?
No, genuinely happened. There is some film of the goal which was shown at Fargos in the summer.

fernandopartridge

Hutchinson is before my time so I'll go with Ndlovu.
I must give an honourable mention to Solako who was an excellent crosser of the ball, that serious injury he'd had probably limited his effectiveness, specifically his pace.

Skyblueweeman

Ndlovu - 80s. I'll never forget when he became the first away player in decades to score a hat-trick at Anfield. Pure class.

I also liked David Smith in the late 80s/early 90s. Always thought he had a knack of beating RBs with ease. But overall, Ndlovu.

Moff

Just caught Hutchinson, in my very young years, and I couldnt vote for anyone but him.

Mentions go out to Froggatt, Nuddy, and as he played out there a lot when Huckerby and Dublin were up front, Noel Whelan as he scored some great goals, some very very important goals, and always put in a shift. I also liked the fact he was proper mad!

shmmeee

It should be Hutch but I never saw him so can't vote for him. I tried to get Nuddy in at RW and failed, Froggatt I think.

bringbackrattles

Got to be the Hutch came into our club in 72 and you just knew we'd got a fantastic footballer.
How we kept him as long as we did is a miracle !
60's

Adge

N'dlovu for me. Big shout for Laurent De'Lorge and Runar Normann though!

Decade 80's.

Last edited:

clint van damme

Hutch for me. But honorable mention to Noel Whelan.

Not his usual position but I thought he was absolute quality whenever he played there.

Gazolba

Absolutely no contest, Ronnie Rees 60's. Faster, tricker and more deadly than Hutchison (although he was good).
Rees 42 goals in 230 appearances.
Hutch 24 in 314.

Last edited:

rupert_bear

Was at that game in the clock end it was the year after Arsenal won the double, Hutchie put Bob McNab, George Graham, ex city player Jeff Blockley and keeper Bob Wilson in a line all on their arses a magical goal

rupert_bear

Difficult one both brilliant wingers in their own right but having an all time greats Sky Blue squad simply has to have Tommy Hutchison in it, so I go for Hutchison.

60s

Otis

Remember Steve Hunt ? I thought he was a classy winger/midfield for us. Played for England too.
Stevie Hunt is my favourite all time City player.

I thought he was best in the middle though rather than out wide, so I will vote for him for one of the central midfield roles.

Has to be Tommy Hutch wide left.

60's.

bringbackrattles

Stevie Hunt is my favourite all time City player.

I thought he was best in the middle though rather than out wide, so I will vote for him for one of the central midfield roles.

Has to be Tommy Hutch wide left.

60's.
I bet you're the only one Otis who has Steve Hunt down as his all time favourite player ? I always thought he was underrated with us to be honest,but I saw him turn in brilliant performances,and he had great skill too on the ball.

Otis

I bet you're the only one Otis who has Steve Hunt down as his all time favourite player ? I always thought he was underrated with us to be honest,but I saw him turn in brilliant performances,and he had great skill too on the ball.
Brilliant player for me. Cunning, clever, tricky on the ball, quick and scored some great goals for us too.

rupert_bear

Lots of candidates for centre left midfield Steve Hunt, Dennis Mortimer, Terry Yorath, George Boatain if you want a ball winner Lloyd McGrath, then there is Dennis Wise but for an all round combatatant I plump for Stuart Robson, class act. So my midfield quartet would be Strachan, Gibson, Robson, Hutchison.

60s

Last edited:

Otis

Lots of candidates for centre left midfield Steve Hunt, Dennis Mortimer, Terry Yorath, George Boatain if you want a ball winner Lloyd McGrath but for an all round combatatant I plump for Stuart Robson, class act. So my midfield quartet would be Strachan, Gibson, Robson, Hitchison.

60s
Robson was very good for us, but I would plump for Stevie Hunt and Terry Yorath as our central midfield pairing.

When it comes up of course. :)

rupert_bear

You are an older fan aren't you how can you leave Ian Gibson arguably up there alongside Tommy Hutchison as our best ever player ?

CJ_covblaze

Froggatt. 1990s.

Johnnythespider

Tommy Hutch gets my vote, can't imagine an all time XI without him. The central mid pairing is going to be interesting. !!
70s

Otis

You are an older fan aren't you how can you leave Ian Gibson arguably up there alongside Tommy Hutchison as our best ever player ?
Err, maybe because I hardly ever saw him play perhaps? Think I may have seen him twice at the very, very most.

Only memory I have of him was my watching a game at HR and the crowd shouting 'We want Gibbo! We want Gibbo!'

Unless you want me to select him on the back of that, he's not getting into any team of mine.

Users who are viewing this thread