Best City XI of all-time (Central defenders x 2) (2 Viewers)

SkyBlueSid

The best central defender I've seen for City in over 50 years is Roy Barry. What an inspired signing he was. There are a few possibilities for the second name but on balance it would have to be Trevor Peake.

We have certainly had a few decent ones over those decades, notable others being Curtis, Gillespie & Kilcline. I do remember Alan Dugdale, who has been mentioned by a few as an 'uncompromising' defender, and for one game at Newcastle in the 70s he was listed in their badly-researched match programme as Doug Dale.

rupert_bear

The best central defender I've seen for City in over 50 years is Roy Barry. What an inspired signing he was. There are a few possibilities for the second name but on balance it would have to be Trevor Peake.

We have certainly had a few decent ones over those decades, notable others being Curtis, Gillespie & Kilcline. I do remember Alan Dugdale, who has been mentioned by a few as an 'uncompromising' defender, and for one game at Newcastle in the 70s he was listed in their badly-researched match programme as Doug Dale.
So accurate re Roy Barry, £40k from Dunfirmiline, straight into our first team against the best strikers in the country and put them in his pocket immediately that just doesn't happen nowadays, why?
Shame most on here never saw him play I can't think of a better central defender around today, any nationality.

Gazolba

Terry Yorath 70's and George Curtis 60's

st john

Roy Barry was easily the best defender we have ever had IMO until he broke his leg. I was there that day, and had a feeling for some weeks that something like that might happen because he was so committed in the tackle. But his best attribute was his superb distribution out of defence, nearly always finding a sky blue player after winning the ball

Hobo

Peake and George Mason (even Manchester United couldnt tempt him away from the City)

Users who are viewing this thread