Best City XI of all-time (Central defenders x 2) (2 Viewers)

Sky Blue Harry H

Trevor Peake, Gary Gillespie (partly cos I saw him knocking back a can on a City Supporters coach outside Wembley in '87, whilst a Liverpool player (60s)

rob9872

Peake and Gillespie but only because I can't have two Dions who was my all time favourite up front and would have been an even better centre half if it was his permanent position. Read the game better than any centre half I've ever seen, was amazing in the air of course, but like I say I want him up top.

Terry Gibson's perm

Peake and Gillespie
70s
Can't believe Breen is being mentioned here I thought he was awful and wouldn't even get into my top ten centre halves. Surprised some of the younger fans haven't mentioned big Mo yet !

waiting for Richard shaw as well

rupert_bear

Peake and Gillespie but only because I can't have two Dions who was my all time favourite up front and would have been an even better centre half if it was his permanent position. Read the game better than any centre half I've ever seen, was amazing in the air of course, but like I say I want him up top.
Have to agree about Dion Dublin at centre back he was fantastic there and I believe would have won caps there but he wanted to stay a centre forward and went on about another 10 years as one at top level so how can we argue

Last edited:

Calista

Trevor Peake, Gary Gillespie (partly cos I saw him knocking back a can on a City Supporters coach outside Wembley in '87, whilst a Liverpool player (60s)

I spotted Gillespie on a coach full of City fans after the game too. My God, that day was heaven!

Anyway, this decision isn't difficult - Gillespie and Peake.
60s

(the only other player I even came close to choosing was Roy Barry)

Nick

Administrator
From 90's onwards I really can't think.

Atherton and Dann maybe? Dann has got much better since leaving us so doesn't really count.

Konjic just for the entertainment?

Grendel

A combination of Peake and Gillespie isn't a great partnership. It's like having Wallace and Gibson or ferguson and Dublin

Grendel

No I don't think he was better but I always felt he was a good servant of the club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wasn't Alan Dugdale about the size of the guy who played Harry Potter? He must have been the smallest centre half ever.

DazzleTommyDazzle

Wasn't Alan Dugdale about the size of the guy who played Harry Potter? He must have been the smallest centre half ever.

I'd guess that he must have been about 5 foot 10.

Players knew when he'd tackled them though.

A while back I posted a story on here where Duggie had been interviewed about his career. He told a story about "tackling" Stan Bowles who went off for treatment. When Bowles came back on he said, "Bloody hell Duggie, what was that for? It was like being tackled by a Sherman tank".

mechaishida

Best I've seen is Trevor Peake, no doubt. I always rated Gary Breen and Liam Daish when we used to form a habit of spending too much on Brum centre-halves, but the second choice is Richard Shaw as he rarely made a blunder and was an excellent man-marker.

So, Peake and Shaw. 80's

Johnnythespider

A combination of Peake and Gillespie isn't a great partnership. It's like having Wallace and Gibson or ferguson and Dublin
You need to start thinking outside the box grendel, we're playing total football.

Voice_of_Reason

Same rules as before, your choice of ALL-TIME player (but this time TWO) and the decade you started following the club so we can see how the different generations of fans are voting.

My votes - Peake, Killer
Decade 80s

Looking at all the posts makes me realize how old I am... it's such a shame that the majority on here never saw the team from the early 1960's through two promotions to the First Division (now Premiership). There were some real class players. Even players from the 1950's such as Noel Simpson, Iain Jamieson, Don Dorman, Eddie Brown etc were class. Many more too ! Who remembers Kalamazoo !

Honourable mention for Peter Atherton.

wingy

Killer has to be in there for me and I loved Peake but would have to take Gillespie over him.
Honourable mention for the young Ian Butterworth who I thought fitted the cultured defender profile.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Peake & Gillespie......

...honourable mention to Gary Mabbutt:claping hands:

Edit...started support in 1970's.

bawtryneal

Have to agree with the majority

Trevor Peake and Gary Gillespie.

Happy days the 80s. Proper footballers, not these young greedy tossers who have no passion for the club.
I don't include this current squad in those comments. though. TM has a fine group together, hope they all stick around for a couple of years.

Londonccfcfan

Since ive been following city in early 90s when I went to Uni there. Id say Big Mo Konjic and Richard shaw!

Konjic - Wholehearted, loved his forays forward, man mountain! Top Defender!
Shaw - Nimble, was quick, short but good in the air, did some great man marking jobs and nullified some of the best when required.

Not many mentions for Konjic I'm surprised, probably as most of his appearances were in the championship. Injury prone during our final season in Premier League.

Users who are viewing this thread