Transfer Rumour Ben Sheaf (2 Viewers)

cc84cov

I'd imagine this deal will be combined with a view to buy in January. With him being 23 in February I'd be surprised if he were to find a route into their first team no matter how well he does this season.
Buy in Jan would make sense ✅

Gibbo

Is it possible that the lad was reluctant to sign permanently and this deal is the only way he would come?
...it is a big step for him. Season long loans to Doncaster are one thing, kissing goodbye to a long cherished ambition to go to a club that may be struggling all season, is another. Having been here a year, O'Hara, in quite a similar position in his career progression, could make an informed choice. Whether he is a new Kelly or a new Tony A...(forgot his name) - who knows

Ring Of Steel

He signed from Everton I think. I'm in a minority but I thought he was a decent player, he was immense at Old Trafford in that win in 2007.

Hughes was really good until Adams came in, Adams' book reveals that he thought Hughes was a "fancy dan" and "not my type of player"- and that was that.

Mucca Mad Boys

It’s gone from a perm fees agreed apparently to a loan maybe he wants to prove to Arsenal he’s good enough for them a strong season with us his contract is extended and he goes back there,no idea how the “option to buy” works with this one.

You’re speculating. Equally, we might want a loan to cover ourselves if we were to be relegated.

‘Option to buy’ is just like a loan ‘with a view to permanent’, we have a deal in place to make it a permanent transfer if we decide to take this on.

Might turn to be an ideal deal, but no doubt I’d have preferred a permanent deal - at least the option is there.

fernandopartridge

Hughes was really good until Adams came in, Adams' book reveals that he thought Hughes was a "fancy dan" and "not my type of player"- and that was that.
He got player of the season in that first season that Adams took over half way through.

Adams was a dinosaur really, I read his autobiography a few years ago and it was painful. He's got such an ego. It's no wonder he hasn't had a job for a few years now.

covcity4life

Robins says it’s an obligation to buy but only if he meets “certain criteria”. Wonder if that’s on our side (staying up) or his side (20 starts etc)
If the lad has concerns about cov being permanent home maybe it is criteria of top half finish triggers obligation

That waybsheaf knows we a young team who can compete for prem over next few years of his career

Just spitballing

mr_monkey

That really is excellent

It's another cracking bit of business by the club, if someone had said to me this time 3 years ago this is what we would be doing in the summer of 2020 I would have laughed in their faces 🙈

Just shows how much progress we have made in the last 3 years and everyone associated with the club should be proud and applauded for their efforts

Orca

He signed from Everton I think. I'm in a minority but I thought he was a decent player, he was immense at Old Trafford in that win in 2007.

I met his brother in a pub in their hometown of Wokingham. I remember him saying he loved it at Cov.

He must be in a very select band of outfield players who've played in goal for us. I had to look up which game it was.

mark82

Sounds like it's an obligation to buy, based on number of appearances made. In these cases, that means we've likely already agreed a contract with Sheaf. What it does is gives us a get out if he's injured or isn't the standard expected. Maybe even a get out in the event of relegation? Sounds a clever deal by the club, fully expect he becomes our player next year.

covcity4life

Great news. We have a squad that will only get better for next 3 years if we keep them together. Granted rhat will be tough

But stable future on pitch at least

Survive then push mid table then push playoffs year by year

That said i am not ruling out a good season straight of the bat. Exciting!

Hobo

I like Kelly and really rate him. I think he will step up to Championship level. I think Shipley will too.

But I think Sheaf is a good signing. Loan with option to buy sounds good to me.

With our budget we have to try and source young talent with the potential to develop rather than splash out on the finished article.

Frostie

Sounds like it's an obligation to buy, based on number of appearances made. In these cases, that means we've likely already agreed a contract with Sheaf. What it does is gives us a get out if he's injured or isn't the standard expected. Maybe even a get out in the event of relegation? Sounds a clever deal by the club, fully expect he becomes our player next year.

But but but... He doesn't want to be here, we've forced him with a gun to his head, he's a money grabber because he once smiled whilst training at Arsenal. :rolleyes:

Paxman II

They had targeted this guy and got their man eventually. Must rate him and intent on him partnering with Hamer in CDM role.
Kelly's place as a starter under considerable threat now.

By all accounts a very good signing.

I'm not expecting to be a struggling side in the championship, and will be mid table at least.

Grendel

He was fine he needed a better midfielder with him than Doyle

Ring Of Steel

I met his brother in a pub in their hometown of Wokingham. I remember him saying he loved it at Cov.

He must be in a very select band of outfield players who've played in goal for us. I had to look up which game it was.

Remember it well, possibly the most exciting 0-0 I ever saw- the crowd were really pumped up at the injustice of having Bennett sent off, and we almost won but McSheffrey missed a penalty.

Mucca Mad Boys

I like Kelly and really rate him. I think he will step up to Championship level. I think Shipley will too.

But I think Sheaf is a good signing. Loan with option to buy sounds good to me.

With our budget we have to try and source young talent with the potential to develop rather than splash out on the finished article.

Agreed.

Barring Hamer and DaCosta, all of our signings have essentially come from League 1 (and equivalents).

Given our circumstances, probably a sensible transfer policy and hopefully one that works out for us!

Mucca Mad Boys

They had targeted this guy and got their man eventually. Must rate him and intent on him partnering with Hamer in CDM role.
Kelly's place as a starter under considerable threat now.

By all accounts a very good signing.

I'm not expecting to be a struggling side in the championship, and will be mid table at least.

Can’t see MR dropping Kelly any time soon. With the condensed fixture list, this is a signing to bolster the squad, and a long term plan in place for CDM.

SlowerThanPlatt

It would be a young team - in terms of influential players last season I would say in order it was Kelly, McFadzean and then Godden, would be a concern if we just dropped them. Oldest player would be the goalkeeper?

Sky Blue Pete

It would be a young team - in terms of influential players last season I would say in order it was Kelly, McFadzean and then Godden, would be a concern if we just dropped them. Oldest player would be the goalkeeper?
Marosi probably up there now too. Completely agree about just dropping them but you can see the pattern over the last 3 years. This transfer window has been brilliant for future planning and for pushing on throughout the season

What we hope is those who will start in the first team perform and push on and get results but if they don’t there are solutions all over the pitch apart from potentially right and left wing back. That’s not to say Giles and Mason can’t step up and perform at this level they may well do that over the season as a whole

Evo1883

I think even with those 3 our first team is probably the youngest in the division

better days

Reckon this is why it took a while Mark
I couldn't see it being an outright transfer as the lad is likely to be on a decent wage at Arsenal that could have upset our payscales
This way Arsenal still pay his salary until the end of his contract (probably with us paying a percentage) with a permanent transfer at the end of it
I'd guess his subsequent contract with us will have clauses as to which division we're in and so on
Wouldn't have been a straight-forward negotiation I suspect

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Ironically, it's the original Ranson transfer policy weirdly: buy the best from L1 and develop them in the Championship. Execpt we only seemed to do it with WEstwood Dann and Fox then forgot all about it.

We didn't forget about it. It was part of the SISU get-rich-quick scheme. They spent that cash hoping to get promotion and if it failed always planned to sell them on to make a quick buck. Unfortunately they forgot this isn't like their usual dealings and once you get rid you don't need to think about it anymore. Once they did that and we started to get worse they just refused to do the same again and relied on freebies and loans and made matters worse.

Might have been hands tied by investors orders, either wanting that quick return initially forcing sales or refusing to put in money to improve the team later because hey hadn't got the RoI they expected or were promised.

No coincidence since we've gone back towards that development strategy we've shown improvement.

SleepyGinger

It would be interesting to see who robins would give the armband too if and when we field a team without Kelly mcfadz godden.

Grendel

We didn't forget about it. It was part of the SISU get-rich-quick scheme. They spent that cash hoping to get promotion and if it failed always planned to sell them on to make a quick buck. Unfortunately they forgot this isn't like their usual dealings and once you get rid you don't need to think about it anymore. Once they did that and we started to get worse they just refused to do the same again and relied on freebies and loans and made matters worse.

Might have been hands tied by investors orders, either wanting that quick return initially forcing sales or refusing to put in money to improve the team later because hey hadn't got the RoI they expected or were promised.

No coincidence since we've gone back towards that development strategy we've shown improvement.

Not really they just sat back for years and let Uncle Ray screw the club over

Users who are viewing this thread