Ben Sheaf future (1 Viewer)

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I was just going to say that. It is strange how he was clearly the worst passer in our defence but rarely criticised for it.

BTW I do like Ostigard but he does have to improve on this if he is to play at a higher level.
I agree. I regularly criticised Ostigard. Mainly for his finishing which was harsh. The guy wins every header. He got better as the season wore on.

for me he always had a moment of madness in him

Marty

I'm not surpised Osti has poor passing stats, spent half the season playing alongside the useless Da Costa, who couldn't hold a position if his life depended on it.

Hertsccfc

I agree. I regularly criticised Ostigard. Mainly for his finishing which was harsh. The guy wins every header. He got better as the season wore on.

for me he always had a moment of madness in him
Yes. I saw comments that he was going to be replacing Ben White or lining up against Harland and Levandowski in the Bundesliga next season. He was bamboozled by QPR's forwards. I'd still like him here next season though as he does have potential.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I agree.

It's just odd that players like Sheaf and Hyam get more criticism for things than other players. A lot if it comes down to body language and style of play, or too much/ too little smiling.
This, if you look at James, Sheaf and Kelly - they all have weaknesses but are complemented by each other. That’s to be expected at a club our level

Brighton Sky Blue

I agree.

It's just odd that players like Sheaf and Hyam get more criticism for things than other players. A lot if it comes down to body language and style of play, or too much/ too little smiling.

That is all it is, if you just take a dislike to a player early on for whatever reason, he has to do ten times as much to convince you he's any good. Opposite for a player who makes a good first impression. Sheaf I am pretty confident will come good given the time

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I agree.

Statistically Hyam is up there with Ostigard

Attachments

• AD54DF57-3619-4D3A-B704-6148060CAE9C.png
    AD54DF57-3619-4D3A-B704-6148060CAE9C.png
    508.7 KB · Views: 68

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Per 90mins is the best way to go, irons out those kind of queries.
Yes. Sorry didn’t do that one, but yeah. On average Ostigard lost the ball 5 times more per 90

I like Ostigard and think he’s going to be a top player, but McFadzean got so much unwarranted criticism last season. My mate was the worst for it

I was shocked that McFadzean won more Aerial duels though

Attachments

• C2653185-2BAE-44D2-8016-7F2B9EEA9E6F.png
    C2653185-2BAE-44D2-8016-7F2B9EEA9E6F.png
    575 KB · Views: 35

Terry_dactyl

Yes. Sorry didn’t do that one, but yeah. On average Ostigard lost the ball 5 times more per 90

I like Ostigard and think he’s going to be a top player, but McFadzean got so much unwarranted criticism last season. My mate was the worst for it

I was shocked that McFadzean won more Aerial duels though
He made made a few obvious errors but we definitely looked better when he played.

Greggs

I don't understand why we are spending most of our budget on a player that isn't going straight into the starting 11. Bizarre.

woody11462

Of the deal was sorted last season is it not likely to have been from last seasons budget? Also hasn't Boddy said we've got a slightly better budget than last summer and we spent a bit last year

KenilworthSkyBlue

Of the deal was sorted last season is it not likely to have been from last seasons budget? Also hasn't Boddy said we've got a slightly better budget than last summer and we spent a bit last year

Entirely depends on the deal. Usually loan with an obligation to buy deals are done because the purchasing club wants are struggling with cash flow and want to spread out the cost of the player so it's a bit of an unknown whether we perhaps put a downpayment down first to secure his services.

Either way the fee will be paid in instalments anyway.

Last edited:

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

Probably depends when the fee is due to be paid, if it happens in whatever period we assign to season 21/22 then id think it would form part of the 21/22 budget. If this is the case then we've effectively pushed his transfer fee back a season whilst having the player (i know subject to certain conditions).

We might see the budget increase this season but it won't be by much i don't think, we also have no idea what impact the pandemic has had/will have on the process either.

Skyblueweeman

I'm not surpised Osti has poor passing stats, spent half the season playing alongside the useless Da Costa, who couldn't hold a position if his life depended on it.

To be fair to Dacosta, it's his first season in English football, the Championship is a step up from where he was playing and he was injured for the first half of the season.

There was enough there for me to suggest he can be a decent player, albeit, a different played to Dabo. If he stays injury free next season, he could do well for us although I'm not 100% sure if he'll just be back up for Dabo or could play elsewhere.

D

Deleted member 11652

To be fair to Dacosta, it's his first season in English football, the Championship is a step up from where he was playing and he was injured for the first half of the season.

There was enough there for me to suggest he can be a decent player, albeit, a different played to Dabo. If he stays injury free next season, he could do well for us although I'm not 100% sure if he'll just be back up for Dabo or could play elsewhere.

Dabo has it all to prove at this level himself

Hertsccfc

I don't understand why we are spending most of our budget on a player that isn't going straight into the starting 11. Bizarre.
Because sometimes you are buying potential. Not all signings have to be immediate first choices, and over a period they will prove to be a good investment.

Anyway in Sheaf's case he was in the team most of the time last year when fully fit and probably will be next season.

KenilworthSkyBlue

We're not spending £750k (if that's even the fee) in one go.

It's quite baffling the lack of knowledge fans still have on transfers despite posting for years.

Literally do a quick google search on transfers and you'll find out everything you need on how deals are brokered within about 10-15 minutes of reading. It's really not that difficult.

D

Deleted member 11652

We're not spending £750k (if that's even the fee) in one go.

It's quite baffling the lack of knowledge fans still have on transfers despite posting for years.

Literally do a quick google search on transfers and you'll find out everything you need on how deals are brokered within about 10-15 minutes of reading. It's really not that difficult.

But if it’s in instalments it still has to be paid, whether it’s now, next year or the year after. I doubt it’s £750k only if he plays for England at a World Cup is it. Everyone understands the deals are structured differently

KenilworthSkyBlue

But if it’s in instalments it still has to be paid, whether it’s now, next year or the year after. I doubt it’s £750k only if he plays for England at a World Cup is it. Everyone understands the deals are structured differently

They really don't at all as the same posters continue to spout rubbish about the Sheaf deal taking up a significant proportion of this year's budget.

Most transfer deals are structured in order to spread out the total cost to ensure it's more affordable for the purchasing club. It's no different to purchasing something on finance except in this instance costs are paid annually instead of monthly.

We have no idea how much the upfront fee is going to be. Again I doubt in terms of hard cash it's going to be the full £750k but we can only speculate. The same goes for add-ons. There are other add-ons than just international appearances. Club appearances, promotion, goals, sell-on fees etc. I'm sure there's probably been some included in the deal but again we can only speculate.

It's sheer laziness on the poster's part that they're unable to grasp this very simple concept yet.

Greggs

Because sometimes you are buying potential. Not all signings have to be immediate first choices, and over a period they will prove to be a good investment.

Anyway in Sheaf's case he was in the team most of the time last year when fully fit and probably will be next season.
Potentially a very expensive player for league 1

D

Deleted member 11652

They really don't at all as the same posters continue to spout rubbish about the Sheaf deal taking up a significant proportion of this year's budget.

Most transfer deals are structured in order to spread out the total cost to ensure it's more affordable for the purchasing club. It's no different to purchasing something on finance except in this instance costs are paid annually instead of monthly.

We have no idea how much the upfront fee is going to be. Again I doubt in terms of hard cash it's going to be the full £750k but we can only speculate. The same goes for add-ons. There are other add-ons than just international appearances. Club appearances, promotion, goals, sell-on fees etc. I'm sure there's probably been some included in the deal but again we can only speculate.

It's sheer laziness on the poster's part that they're unable to grasp this very simple concept yet.

But £750k spread over 3 years is still £750k. It may not be a significant chunk of this budget but it’s taking smaller amounts from 3 different budgets.

We have no idea of the price yeah but we can only comment on what’s been rumoured and given how the source who told us he was signing was the one to state £750k I don’t see why he would be wrong.

In terms of add ons, it’s not going to be goals is it. Appearances probably and promotion I’d be very surprised. Maybe a sell on but why would Arsenal be looking for 10% of say £1m.

People are well within their rights to judge him based on the £750k touted

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

But £750k spread over 3 years is still £750k. It may not be a significant chunk of this budget but it’s taking smaller amounts from 3 different budgets.

We have no idea of the price yeah but we can only comment on what’s been rumoured and given how the source who told us he was signing was the one to state £750k I don’t see why he would be wrong.

In terms of add ons, it’s not going to be goals is it. Appearances probably and promotion I’d be very surprised. Maybe a sell on but why would Arsenal be looking for 10% of say £1m.

Put it into context, a player of Hamer’s ability cost 1.5 million. 750k is a drop in the ocean for the player we’re getting.

we’re a stats driven team, like Brentford - his stats put him favourably to Hamer and James. I have no idea what players think We’re going to get for 750k.

D

Deleted member 11652

Put it into context, a player of Hamer’s ability cost 1.5 million. 750k is a drop in the ocean for the player we’re getting.

we’re a stats driven team, like Brentford - his stats put him favourably to Hamer and James. I have no idea what players think We’re going to get for 750k.

I’m not disputing that, I like Sheaf and I’m happy we’re signing him. Just fed up of people like @shmmeee throwing insults about when they’re wrong themselves

KenilworthSkyBlue

You're proving my point here. We don't know it's the full £750k. Show me a source that specifically states we're paying £750k in full. How do we know it's not a deal worth up to £750k? Equally, I've not discussed other budgets for other seasons my core issue is with people continuously spouting nonsense about Sheaf taking up this year's budget.

I've not said it was, I was spitballing examples of add-ons. It's not uncommon for Premier League clubs to attach sell-on clauses to their youth players who they've moved on for a fee. Albeit different positions but for instance Newcastle reportedly had a significant sell-on clause for Ivan Toney. Just because they're a Premier League club that doesn't mean they're automatically willing to lose out on revenue - certainly not a club Arsenal who's run by one of the shrewdest owners in the Premier League and certainly not in this current economic climate.

Users who are viewing this thread