Ben Sheaf future (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

I said the same about Stevenson.

Shipley plays more forward anyway ,but it was more an example of when you can see a player has reached his level . Or in Shipley case , probably past his level

I don’t think that about Sheaf. Technically he’s good, he’s good in the tackle and his passing is excellent, far ahead of Kelly and I’d argue James. Also he adds height in the middle, which I like. For me his failings are all experience based. Needs to play at a quicker level and looked like he was improving there, needs to play simpler in his own half, all coachable IMO.

Frostie

Mate listen just get over it your in a small monitory,robins is getting us out of the deal just throw your hands up and admit you got it wrong 😝

That would surely prove me right though in your eyes as Robins is such a terrible manager apparently?

I rate Sheaf, whether we sign him or not I think he'll have a very decent career. More than happy to be in the minority on that & only time will tell.

So, you've always rated Eccles then?
Or you changed your mind after literally 1 game?

Ccfcisparks

That would surely prove me right though in your eyes as Robins is such a terrible manager apparently?

I rate Sheaf, whether we sign him or not I think he'll have a very decent career. More than happy to be in the minority on that & only time will tell.

Changed his mind after a game against League 1 opposition at that.

SIR ERNIE

I don’t think that about Sheaf. Technically he’s good, he’s good in the tackle and his passing is excellent, far ahead of Kelly and I’d argue James. Also he adds height in the middle, which I like. For me his failings are all experience based. Needs to play at a quicker level and looked like he was improving there, needs to play simpler in his own half, all coachable IMO.

Yep, completely agree with all that. I feel certain he'll establish himself as a really decent player at this level, just hope it's with us.

Tommo1993

On the fence, sort of. He’s shown glimpses of talent. Remain in the championship and we can attract better imo.

stevefloyd

There are much better players out there, saying that Sheaf was decent on the ball and could tackle but it was his never ending fuck ups he kept making that troubles me, the times he dropped us in the shit by giving the ball away in very dangerous places

Frostie

There are much better players out there, saying that Sheaf was decent on the ball and could tackle but it was his never ending fuck ups he kept making that troubles me, the times he dropped us in the shit by giving the ball away in very dangerous places

Nowhere near as much as Hamer who is apparently a £15m superstar so 🤷🏼‍♂️

People need to realise, whether we sign Sheaf or someone else, this is the type of player we're in the market for - young & talented but with rough edges. If you want the complete package at this level you are talking mega £££ that we simply don't have.

Hertsccfc

Disagree. Immediately maybe not, but as we have this model of sustaining the club through development I think he’s a good signing. Certainly better in that respect than Kelly or James. He topped all the stats in L1, just like Walsh. He’s young. There’s a player in there we can bring on. I’d put him significantly ahead of Eccles who I’d guess is the other option for a development CM.
I agree with this but I wasn't aware of the fitness issues that betterdays alludes to

cc84cov

I didn’t think Eccles had the strength tbf he was lightweight but has came on quickly it’s a matter of opinion I respect yours but for me he’s not worth £750k

Old Warwickshire lad

Don’t think you’re in a minority at all. Think a fair few of us think he will be a very good player, just a case of staying free from injury for most of the season.

Frostie

I didn’t think Eccles had the strength tbf he was lightweight but has came on quickly it’s a matter of opinion I respect yours but for me he’s not worth £750k

And after 1 game you'd done a complete 180°
Standard.

Hobo

It was amazing how many people made their mind up Kanstaneer was great after his opening goal.

To me he still looked like a lumbering doorman who had took a lucky swing.

cc84cov

And after 1 game you'd done a complete 180°
Standard.
It’s not 1 game lol Eccles has came on very quickly sheaf might do the same but right now he’s never worth £750k soon as James come in I had doubts about robins trusting sheaf,even if it was 1 game I would still have Eccles over sheaf & use the £750k elsewhere 😝

Last edited:

Frostie

It’s not 1 game lol Eccles has came on very quickly sheaf might do the same but right now he’s never worth £750k soon as James come in I had doubts about robins trusting sheaf,even if it was 1 game I would still have Eccles over sheaf & use the £750k elsewhere 😝

It's the only full game he's ever played in midfield for us so obviously it is.

Not to mention:

Screenshot_20210420-183800~2.png

Screenshot_20210420-184841~2.png

Funnily enough on the same day you said how good Sheaf is & what a top player he will be. 🙄

If you're going to constantly change your opinion (or copy someone else's) at least have the decency to admit it otherwise you look rather silly.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210420-185000~2.png
    Screenshot_20210420-185000~2.png
    157.3 KB · Views: 21

wingy

Nowhere near as much as Hamer who is apparently a £15m superstar so 🤷🏼‍♂️

People need to realise, whether we sign Sheaf or someone else, this is the type of player we're in the market for - young & talented but with rough edges. If you want the complete package at this level you are talking mega £££ that we simply don't have.
Available for half of what we got for Bayliss I think.

cc84cov

It's the only full game he's ever played in midfield for us so obviously it is.

Not to mention:

View attachment 19683

View attachment 19685

Funnily enough on the same day you said how good Sheaf is & what a top player he will be. 🙄

If you're going to constantly change your opinion (or copy someone else's) at least have the decency to admit it otherwise you look rather silly.
Ooooo this sheaf news really has got to you hasn’t it tell you what is silly even thinking sheaf offered more than Matty James

Frostie

Ooooo this sheaf news really has got to you hasn’t it tell you what is silly even thinking sheaf offered more than Matty James

There is no news? And I never said that about James/Sheaf either - unlike you I'm capable of forming my own opinion.

Just wanted to show up how stupid you are for a bit of sport but, just like the Super League, not worth it when there's no competition.

The Philosopher

Sheaf:

Can sometimes make a great pass, other times give the ball away shockingly.

Can sometimes put in a great tackle or block, other times bottle it, not track back, give away a foul in a dangerous position.

Often caught in possession and we end up losing the ball and momentum.

On the latter note, I listened to the Garry Thompson podcast on What’s the Craic (and it was a good one - listen in). He was saying that many young players nowadays play u23s and there is very little hard tackling and players get time on the ball; and then struggle when they move up to men’s level. In his day, young players would play in the competitive Central League where there’d be old cloggers mixed in who’d kick them all over.

Sheaf appears to still be in Arsenal u23 mode and looks genuinely shocked every time some old pro leans on him and nicks the ball whilst he contemplates his belly button.

Whether this can be coached out of him or played into him remains to be seen, but the Championship isn’t a development league. If we do have to buy him then we need to loan him out somewhere where he’ll get toughened up. Scotland will do.

fernandopartridge

Sheaf:

Can sometimes make a great pass, other times give the ball away shockingly.

Can sometimes put in a great tackle or block, other times bottle it, not track back, give away a foul in a dangerous position.

Often caught in possession and we end up losing the ball and momentum.

On the latter note, I listened to the Garry Thompson podcast on What’s the Craic (and it was a good one - listen in). He was saying that many young players nowadays play u23s and there is very little hard tackling and players get time on the ball; and then struggle when they move up to men’s level. In his day, young players would play in the competitive Central League where there’d be old cloggers mixed in who’d kick them all over.

Sheaf appears to still be in Arsenal u23 mode and looks genuinely shocked every time some old pro leans on him and nicks the ball whilst he contemplates his belly button.

Whether this can be coached out of him or played into him remains to be seen, but the Championship isn’t a development league. If we do have to buy him then we need to loan him out somewhere where he’ll get toughened up. Scotland will do.
He played a full season pre curtailment in league 1 last season

Frostie

Bit of a lazy assumption just because he came from Arsenal. He hasn't played U23s for 2 years & has had 3 loan spells in the EFL.

fatso

With Eccles showing signs that hes ready to be given a chance, I think its come down to Sheaf or James, and James will be on a free as hes out of contract in the summer.

The Philosopher

Bit of a lazy assumption just because he came from Arsenal. He hasn't played U23s for 2 years & has had 3 loan spells in the EFL.
I can see why you say that and I’d agree on the face of it.

He’s 23 now, 22 when he got here and had played 40 odd games in the EFL. Have in mind there were quite a few sub appearances and quite a few where he was subbed off.

Up until the age of 21 he’d played very little competitive football and only really u23 matches.

The point Thompson made and I conveyed was that in his day young players at 21 may have had 3/4/5 (Thompson playing in Central League, he says, from 15/16) full seasons playing in a competitive league with old pros and the like.

Maybe, just maybe, that format of playing a lot competitive games might have stopped him dwelling on the ball (fear of getting a Doyle-like player clattering you season after season might do the trick more that a combined 20-30 full games at the age of 22)

I’ve looked at the season reviews from Donny and they said “he got caught in possession a lot”. I’m guessing Robins was hoping that this would be drilled out of him but in the sporadic games he played for us this wasn’t the case.

So, I’ll stick to my original thought.

U23’s football isn’t the same as competitive reserve football and players therefore develop differently. The equivalent nowadays would be a loan out at aged 18/19 to L2, Nat League, Scotland. Sheaf didn’t get that until realistically a couple of years later.

Of course, you may totally disagree with the opinion of Garry Thompson and think his opinion lazy. That’s your prerogative.

Users who are viewing this thread