Being realistic (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Harry H

I keep looking further down the table and asking myself which team / s are likely to come surging past us. I'm not really convinced I've seen anyone, apart from Sheffield United (not because they're great, but because they do have strength in depth) Ironically I think Reading with their new players and when their injured players come back will take points off a lot of teams (won at Fulham, beat Boro today) are one of the better footballing teams. Their probable points deduction will probably scupper any play off chances. Fulham, Bournemouth, WBA and probably Stoke will be thereabouts. Still expect Luton to improve (albeit via physicality). Outside chance of Swansea, but that's it. The rest are really average. I also think we can cope without the odd key player (Kelly, Sheaf backing up midfield) Rose/Kane backing up defence. I do worry about cover for Maatsen who is so important for our attacks and some of our build up play. The forwards, I think we can cover for (obviously bring back Max if Vik gets crocked) Enjoy it (anybody noticed we haven't given away stupid penalties and daft 'avoidable' goals in the same manner this season.

kg82

I keep looking further down the table and asking myself which team / s are likely to come surging past us. I'm not really convinced I've seen anyone, apart from Sheffield United (not because they're great, but because they do have strength in depth) Ironically I think Reading with their new players and when their injured players come back will take points off a lot of teams (won at Fulham, beat Boro today) are one of the better footballing teams. Their probable points deduction will probably scupper any play off chances. Fulham, Bournemouth, WBA and probably Stoke will be thereabouts. Still expect Luton to improve (albeit via physicality). Outside chance of Swansea, but that's it. The rest are really average. I also think we can cope without the odd key player (Kelly, Sheaf backing up midfield) Rose/Kane backing up defence. I do worry about cover for Maatsen who is so important for our attacks and some of our build up play. The forwards, I think we can cover for (obviously bring back Max if Vik gets crocked) Enjoy it (anybody noticed we haven't given away stupid penalties and daft 'avoidable' goals in the same manner this season.
Completely agreed. The main one I’m worried about is Moore. Just don’t get injured!

blunted

I think this team has spirit, a strong mentality and good ability. These together can take a team a long way in football. If we can keep the team together, avoid too many injuries and suspensions to key players the sky is the limit. By that, I mean top six. I don't think this team with the supporters we have, will fold. Are we ready for the Prem...no way. A Brentford type progress would suit me with staff improvements year on year. Lets just enjoy the journey and hope the richer teams dont poach too many our best players before we can achieve more.

Grendel

Bring Max back
giphy.gif

Sky Blue Harry H

Completely agreed. The main one I’m worried about is Moore. Just don’t get injured!

To be honest the main worry is any approach for MR/AV. They are so key to everything. Losing a player, although initially painful, I'd trust them to replace.

kg82

To be honest the main worry is any approach for MR/AV. They are so key to everything. Losing a player, although initially painful, I'd trust them to replace.
Oh I agree, I was purely thinking players. And if Moore’s injured when there’s no chance to replace, I’d be worried. I didn’t think Wilson was as bad as some made out, but he’s not a patch on Moore.

lifeskyblue

I still think top half is a good season and progression. Beginning to think we might be the surprise package this year (as Barnsley were last. If we had a chance of playoffs with 5games to go it would be immense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shmmeee

Will all depend how we do when we come up against some of the big teams. QPR are the only decent side we’ve played and we struggled even though we looked dangerous on the break. If we’re getting stronger and can look competitive vs Fulham then that’s a great sign. Still maintain top half is massive progress, but after this start will feel like a failure to many.

Sky Blue Pete

Think we'll be somewhere from 4th to 10th this year. It's a building process and at some point we'll probably have a dip in form, if we're in with a fighting chance in January, I hope we have a bit of money to bring in 1 or 2 players.
Extra 5000 at£25 a ticket is £125k few of those games and we may well have some wages available

Evo1883

From Neil Warnock (Colin) after today's loss to Reading, when asked about the play off places, having said 4 of the top 6 will be the relegated 3 plus Bournemouth

Warnock said: "I put Coventry in the group scrambling around for the two places.

Don't I've just felt a twitch and went all horny

Tommo1993

We’re better than many people give us credit for, but it’s a marathon. Hate to put a downer on it, and we’re not a one man team, but I think we’re a Gyokeres absence away from a big dip.

Sky Blue Harry H

We’re better than many people give us credit for, but it’s a marathon. Hate to put a downer on it, and we’re not a one man team, but I think we’re a Gyokeres absence away from a big dip.

All strikers fit at the beginning of the season and he might not have started yet?! Mad isn't it!

Brighton Sky Blue

Will all depend how we do when we come up against some of the big teams. QPR are the only decent side we’ve played and we struggled even though we looked dangerous on the break. If we’re getting stronger and can look competitive vs Fulham then that’s a great sign. Still maintain top half is massive progress, but after this start will feel like a failure to many.

It isn't games against the big sides I think, it's simply away form. At home we can give anyone in this league a game but on the road is what will decide where we end up. Luton will be a pretty good test of our progress in that respect

Perryccfc

I’m so torn. On the one hand I tend to agree with some opposition in that we haven’t played any of the big guns in this division yet to really gauge where we are. But, every time virtually that we’ve played, the opposing fans/managers have said how good we are and we’re the best they’ve seen so far etc, including Millwall who played West Brom and Swansea just before.

But the similarities to League 1 winning season are there for all to see. So there’s hope.

I honestly think we will fall away and finish 9th or 10th (which still for me is great progression). But there’s a part of me who just has that feeling that it’s real, it’s happening and we’re going back to where we belong.

Love it.

Brighton Sky Blue

I’m so torn. On the one hand I tend to agree with some opposition in that we haven’t played any of the big guns in this division yet to really gauge where we are. But, every time virtually that we’ve played, the opposing fans/managers have said how good we are and we’re the best they’ve seen so far etc, including Millwall who played West Brom and Swansea just before.

But the similarities to League 1 winning season are there for all to see. So there’s hope.

I honestly think we will fall away and finish 9th or 10th (which still for me is great progression). But there’s a part of me who just has that feeling that it’s real, it’s happening and we’re going back to where we belong.

Love it.

Nobody had Barnsley down for the top 6 last season, and look at how it's changed for them this time. Just go for it with both barrels and see how far we can get.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Love it.
Our current record is actually nearly identical to our league two play off win season

17/18
P9 W5 D1 L3 F11 A5 GD6 pts16

This year
P9 W6 D1 L2 F12 A6 GD6 pts19

Near identical record. Promotion via play offs incoming….

steveo1987

We need to keep trying to win, the pace and movement for the goals on Friday was electrifying similar to the Armstrong , Kent, Murphy days.Only concern is the pitch falling apart and a light squad as proved by Northampton in the cup game.Hoping key players stay injury free especially the back three.

skybluesam66

Barnsley we’re on 19 points after 16 games
They were on 10 points at this stage
Reading were top on 22(we had just beaten them)
There is the warning as they finished 7th

SkyBlueSoul

7ff0058816dc8bd7f4425e2a4706bef9.jpg

I think this will be the most testing patch based on current positions (and a potentially resurgent Sheff U), which coincidentally takes us to the halfway point. Potential for a blip but if we’re still in and around it having played everyone once, I’ll really start to believe top 6 might be possible

Major Tom

My concern is if we don't do it this season we will lose momentum, next season may be a rebuild job when the quality players heads are turned by incoming bids and their agents.

Users who are viewing this thread