Bayliss (1 Viewer)

Grendel

We were top 6 with biamoi pretty much and we are top 6 without him

No regrets about playing him

We weren’t and we were sliding. Since we signed Harris and he has started we have been unbeaten.

We were solely reliant on McNulty creating and scoring his goals. Biamou has been a disaster.

wingy

We weren’t and we were sliding. Since we signed Harris and he has started we have been unbeaten.

We were solely reliant on McNulty creating and scoring his goals. Biamou has been a disaster.
It's clear that the reason we ended up with Biamou was financial .
Had we recruited a JCH type in the summer most are concluding we'd be right up there.
So would MR then be a great Manager and No taxi required just joshing there.
So the query has to be given the constraints, where in the budget and squad could we have engineered the current squad.
I don't particularly think anyone should get hung out to dry but Vincenti and Beavons in particular could have altered things.
Or the retention of Stevenson until this January or Not selling Lameries or Haynes, those funds would have enabled a decent No9 .

Grendel

Had we recruited a JCH type in the summer most are concluding we'd be right up there.
So the query has to be given the constraints, where in the budget and squad could we have engineered the current squad.
I don't particularly think anyone should get hung out to dry but Vincenti and Beavons in particular could have altered things.
Or the retention of Stevenson until this January or Not selling Lameries or Haynes, those funds would have enabled a decent No9 .

Robins also offered an extended contract to Beacon - he could have let him go

larry_david

Mcnulty did it on that volley that flew straight at the keeper with about 2 mins to go. He did keep running though but just kept holding it when stood still. I'm sure all it well.

CCFCSteve

I get you’re not a fan but Biamou holds the ball up well/retains possession and works his arse off. Still a useful player. I thought Robins should’ve brought him in on against Luton Tuesday with 15 mins left, might’ve helped us hold on as JCH (and to a lesser extent McNulty) were flagging

Grendel

I get you’re not a fan but Biamou holds the ball up well/retains possession and works his arse off. Still a useful player. I thought Robins should’ve brought him in on against Luton Tuesday with 15 mins left, might’ve helped us hold on as JCH (and to a lesser extent McNulty) were flagging

Disagree. I think he’s one the poorest players I’ve ever seen. He never holds a ball up and is utterly abject.

NorthernWisdom

Brought on a few Injuries as well but has provided funds .
Yeah without the cash we might have had to sell sell sell.

Plus confidence from winning games. Cup runs are usually an excuse made by managers to deflect from the fact their side jus lost a game because they weren't as good as the opposition. A professional should be able to win promotion and a couple of cup games, not one or t'other.

Mucca Mad Boys

I disagree. We could’ve signed Williams from Doncaster had they not changed their mind and kept him. We signed Beavon up to a new contract and when we signed Biamou, Robins went out of his way to say ‘he’s a development player’ in a similar vain to how Hyam was signed. Beavon has fell out of favour, and injuries have forced a changed in tactics and personnel. Biamou scored, about 17 in about 46 odd games last season in a division below us, I don’t think Robins expected him to have only scored 1 league goal to date...

To be even more pedantic, if it was financial, Biamou wouldn’t have been one of the first signing through the door. Secondly, we wouldn’t have agreed a deal to sign Craig Davies (who turned us down) nor would we have signed JCH in the first place.

wingy

I disagree. We could’ve signed Williams from Doncaster had they not changed their mind and kept him. We signed Beavon up to a new contract and when we signed Biamou, Robins went out of his way to say ‘he’s a development player’ in a similar vain to how Hyam was signed. Beavon has fell out of favour, and injuries have forced a changed in tactics and personnel. Biamou scored, about 17 in about 46 odd games last season in a division below us, I don’t think Robins expected him to have only scored 1 league goal to date...

To be even more pedantic, if it was financial, Biamou wouldn’t have been one of the first signing through the door. Secondly, we wouldn’t have agreed a deal to sign Craig Davies (who turned us down) nor would we have signed JCH in the first place.
You've misunderstood my point .
I haven't suggested we signed Biamou as cost cutting, I'm saying he played so much because those others weren't recruited because of financials.
The January connections who ultimately allegedly turned us down were suppossdly available due to funds from the FA Cup run which MR said he was getting .
We're told the fee for JCH will be paid in the summer because of SCMP, at least that has been one of the suggestions.
The extension for Beavon has been a poor call and those funds should have helped recruit some quality for the position IMO.

Mucca Mad Boys

I’m
You've misunderstood my point .
I haven't suggested we signed Biamou as cost cutting, I'm saying he played so much because those others weren't recruited because of financials.
The January connections who ultimately allegedly turned us down were suppossdly available due to funds from the FA Cup run which MR said he was getting .
We're told the fee for JCH will be paid in the summer because of SCMP, at least that has been one of the suggestions.
The extension for Beavon has been a poor call and those funds should have helped recruit some quality for the position IMO.

Perhaps I’m being pedantic with your wording, but as far as I see it, Biamou was a decent 2nd choice option to Williams (on paper). He had a decent record in the league below, Robins liked his ‘raw attributes’ and was identified as a player that could be developed by TW and Robins. He was one of the first signings of the summer and correct me if I’m wrong, didn’t we pay a nominal fee for him? If so, it doesn’t strike me as a signing made with financial considerations.

If your argument is that we played so many games because of finances, again, I respectfully disagree. We’ve had a significant amount of injuries and Beavon’s lack of form gave him an opportunity to start. He seemingly got the most out of Nazon and then McNulty - so justified his starting berth even when both Nazon and McNulty were available. Even then, your argument is only really applicable in January, but that still doesn’t account for the prior two months of him starting most games.

In short, I find it far more convincing that Robins’ patience with Biamou’s lack of goals was waning. His frustration is evident in the Exeter post-match conference where he stated publicly we needed a ‘number 9’. To your credit, why a deal for a striker only went through on deadline day, and the way it was structured, is down to financial factors. It also makes sense because after the Andreu signing, I’m sure Robins said something about the budget nearly being used up.

covcity4life

Dont thobk biamou was ever supposed to be first choice this season. Have to cut him some slack

And there is chance he will still come up trumps in final 9 games if we require it at any point.

Hes got better at pressurinf and running at defenders imo. Interested to see how he does next season(hopefully in league 1)

Otis

Dont thobk biamou was ever supposed to be first choice this season. Have to cut him some slack

And there is chance he will still come up trumps in final 9 games if we require it at any point.

Hes got better at pressurinf and running at defenders imo. Interested to see how he does next season(hopefully in league 1)
He seemed behind Kwame Thomas at one point, but we all know how that one panned out.

skybluesam66

strange - a good team can make many poor signings and get away with it
Fergie - the best manager of the modern era made numerous bad signings

when you have such a limited budget - you get pulled apart for just one bad signing

overall MR put together a very balanced squad - and later on recognised where it needed stengthening

the loanees in january were a disaster, but we must learn from this too

wingy

If anyone thinks I've posted in a critical way about Biamou they couldn't be further from the truth.
Nor have I been critical of recruitment as a whole.
I've respondsd to the assertion that we'd be top If we'd got the desired targets in through the summer.
Then I've simply highlighted how it could have been achieved ,If someone had thought about it and planned player sales coherently or not resigned one particular player .

covcity4life

Nazon was a cock and JCH was not fully fit for the first two games.
I agree MR showed excessive loyalty to Biamou but Biamou gave his all for the team. Might not have been to the standard required but gave it his 100% best.

U know these players personally that you call cocks?

Genuinly curious

bawtryneal

I only called one player a cock ( that was Nazon) not players as you suggest
I met Nazon once, but very briefly, so my comment is based on views from others close to the set up.

I have met JCH many times and I personally think he is a good guy who is trying to "cultivate an image" that is not his real character. He had a great reputation at RUFC for being great with kids and the handicapped etc and was always a charming personality and worked hard on community issues. He tries to act the "gangster" in the dressing room environment but it is not the real JCH.

covcity4life

I only called one player a cock ( that was Nazon) not players as you suggest
I met Nazon once, but very briefly, so my comment is based on views from others close to the set up.

I have met JCH many times and I personally think he is a good guy who is trying to "cultivate an image" that is not his real character. He had a great reputation at RUFC for being great with kids and the handicapped etc and was always a charming personality and worked hard on community issues. He tries to act the "gangster" in the dressing room environment but it is not the real JCH.
Lol ok

Otis

has anyone at CWR or CT actually asked SMR where we are at with Balyiss contract ?
Don't be silly.

Same as they should never, ever ask what has happened to Stuart Beavon.

They need to carry on not asking the questions we want answering and continue asking the inane questions we don't need the answer to.

Esoterica

Here's a break down of league results and goals when Bayliss has started in the middle vs on the wing:
upload_2018-3-20_11-50-31.png

Here are the overall goal stats for the season by interval:
upload_2018-3-20_11-43-46.png
Biggest thing that jumps out is performance in the first half.
* In Bayliss 12 starts in the middle we have scored 6 of our 7 goals in the 0-15 mins bracket. In the other 25 matches we have only scored once in that time period vs Crewe at home (freak corner flag goal).
* 13 of our total 18 goals in the first half have come in Bayliss 12 starts in the middle. 5 first half goals in 25 matches without him there.
* 0 first half goals when he has started on the wing.

BlueElephant

Anyone who's watched him over these 20-odd games will tell you he's far more comfortable and confident while playing in the middle.

The one thing that frustrates me about him is sometimes he tries to take a touch and gets dispossessed where offloading it first time would be the better option, but I've seen more than enough in a short space of time to suggest he's going to grow into some player.

superskyblue

According to Cov Telegraph he's contracted until the end of next season (with option to extend by a further year). I was under the impression (probably from comments on here) that he was out of contract this summer.

Assuming that the Telegraph is correct (big assumption), that is fantastic news!

Londonccfcfan

According to Cov Telegraph he's contracted until the end of next season (with option to extend by a further year). I was under the impression (probably from comments on here) that he was out of contract this summer.

Assuming that the Telegraph is correct (big assumption), that is fantastic news!

Yup huge surprise this. And unbelievable news if true.

Would be like a new signing already.

Otis

I can't see anything in that offal statement that says the length of the contract.

Am I missing something?

superskyblue

I can't see anything in that offal statement that says the length of the contract.

Am I missing something?

No, don't think so. But Cov Tel published this earlier.

"The good news is that Bayliss - who is regularly watched by scouts from all the top Premier League clubs and was the subject of firm interest from Derby County on January transfer deadline day - is contracted for another year with a year's option in the club's favour which they will, without doubt, trigger to take his deal to 2020."

Otis

"The good news is that Bayliss - who is regularly watched by scouts from all the top Premier League clubs and was the subject of firm interest from Derby County on January transfer deadline day - is contracted for another year with a year's option in the club's favour which they will, without doubt, trigger to take his deal to 2020."
But this is the CT. Where have they got that from?

On here?

NorthernWisdom

Their source must be Bayliss himself, then, given the club aren't speaking to them!

Users who are viewing this thread