Barnsley on a madness (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 2477

@Grendel was one there was a few more saying signing James was a waste of money some saying sheaf offers more it’s on the sheaf thread @Nick feels sheaf offers more
I dont count Grendel

Reactions: vow

Nick

Administrator
OK, since playing for us what has he improved about our play? Defensive or going forward.

If he had come from Walsall and their fans said he was shit and put in the exact same performance on the pitch people would be ready to drive him back up the M6.

procdoc

OK, since playing for us what has he improved about our play? Defensive or going forward.

If he had come from Walsall and their fans said he was shit and put in the exact same performance on the pitch people would be ready to drive him back up the M6.
I think you’re being very OTT here Nick. He’s not played poorly individually, he got man of the match against one of the promotion favourites a couple of weeks ago

shmmeee

James was a fine stop gap until Kelly was back, but he’s hardly set the world alight and after his first game or two has looked distinctly average. As shown by the fact he couldn’t keep his place in the team.

If he’s costing nothing then fine. But he’s nowhere near worth the rumoured £10k/week.

Grendel

I think you’re being very OTT here Nick. He’s not played poorly individually, he got man of the match against one of the promotion favourites a couple of weeks ago

Bigi got twelve man of the matches in league 1

Londonccfcfan

I'm not sold on James. It's a lot of money to be paying someone to do Liam Kelly's role not as well.

James came in and our form and play fell apart, Kelly came back in and we beat Brentford and run Swansea close.

It's not that he's a bad player it's just that he doesn't make the team better.

Jeez that's a bit simplistic.

Kelly and James both have different attributes strengths imo.. If James could read the game defensively as good as Kelly and Kelly could pass like James , a combination of them of 2 would be a premier league player.

Nick

Administrator
I'm not.

What has he actually added? What attributes?

That's all im asking.

JulianDarbyFTW

I think James has lots of positive attributes, but I just don't think his positioning is consistently good enough yet. He gets dragged quite wide at times, then leaves gaping holes in the middle, but people fawn over him because he looks classy on the ball. The positioning is where Kelly excels, because he's usually in the right place at the right time. I'm not writing James off, because he's clearly competent, but imo he's either getting something wrong in his positioning, or he's overestimating his teammates ability / footballing sense to be able to cover the gaps that he leaves.

procdoc

What game has James increased our points ratio?
Playing devils advocate, we may have less points if James hadn’t have been in the side, as Shipley or Allen would have had to play the deeper role whilst both Kelly and Sheaf were out. But there’s no reasoning with you because as soon as you have an agenda against a player there’s no point talking to you

stupot07

James is ok, had a couple of really good games when he came in but has been pretty average since. He did bring some experience to the side whilst Kelly was injured but we haven't played as well with him in the side as we do with Kelly. I really don't get the sheaf bashing, I think he's had a decent season and nowhere near as bad as some make out. We have missed him at times.

That said re: James. I wouldn't want to sign him in the summer, we should be adequately covered with Kelly, Sheaf and Hamer for those defensive midfield roles, and it wouldn't be worth the decent wedge he would command.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

higgs

Though he looked good against Watford looked classy on the ball I think Kelly was expected to be out longer hence why James was brought in at the time.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Frostie

Though he looked good against Watford looked classy on the ball I think Kelly was expected to be out longer hence why James was brought in at the time.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nope, sorry, doesn't work like that here.
He's either £15m or waste of a wage silly.

NortonSkyBlue

Whilst on the who is better James or Kelly the one player who has yet to win me over is Hamer. Overrated on here, headless chicken on the pitch and liability after the ref has marked his card in every game.
Yes he has a goal in him, shoots which is more than the others but whilst others are called out for passes going astray, he gets a free pass.
When Barnsley said that James had been very good for them I had hoped he would exert the same influence on the team but patently Barnsley are a better team than us at present so perhaps it is more likely he was a better fit in that club than he is in ours.
Kelly is the main man in our team in my opinion. I too would like to see James and Kelly together and see if they find a way of gelling as both are good experienced pros.
On another note having seen the performances of Cantwell and Grimes in the past week it gives me hope that the championship is not all about lumps kicking shit out of each other and shithousery but guile and movement and a way of playing we should aspire to having in our locker. The way Cantwell runs reminds me of Tommy Hutchison and the way Grimes threaded weighted balls through was Ian Gibson’s forte.
Barnsley? Doing very well but for their sake I hope they are in the championship next season.

Bugsy

Whilst on the who is better James or Kelly the one player who has yet to win me over is Hamer. Overrated on here, headless chicken on the pitch and liability after the ref has marked his card in every game.
Yes he has a goal in him, shoots which is more than the others but whilst others are called out for passes going astray, he gets a free pass.
When Barnsley said that James had been very good for them I had hoped he would exert the same influence on the team but patently Barnsley are a better team than us at present so perhaps it is more likely he was a better fit in that club than he is in ours.
Kelly is the main man in our team in my opinion. I too would like to see James and Kelly together and see if they find a way of gelling as both are good experienced pros.
On another note having seen the performances of Cantwell and Grimes in the past week it gives me hope that the championship is not all about lumps kicking shit out of each other and shithousery but guile and movement and a way of playing we should aspire to having in our locker. The way Cantwell runs reminds me of Tommy Hutchison and the way Grimes threaded weighted balls through was Ian Gibson’s forte.
Barnsley? Doing very well but for their sake I hope they are in the championship next season.

how is Hamer overrated ?? his performance have carried the team earlier in the season, hard worker, passionate, his set plays and delivery are excellent, plus his 1st season in the champ with a new team in a different country. think he has been a bargain. his goals have saved a fair few results too, derby away is just one i can think of off the top of my head. granted his performances of late hasn't been up to the standard of earlier form but think he's played literally every game. maybe deserve a rest. easily contender for player of the season in my eyes...PUSB

Last edited:

Otis

I think Hamer is allowed a dip in form, as is any player.

He's definitely playing a little deeper the last couple of games, plus the pitches are much heavier now too. He looks a little tired to be honest and could perhaps do with a bit of a rest.

He's still a very good player though, has a great shot on him and always, along with O'Hare, seems to be the player who will unlock defences.

Barnsley

For our sake we desperately need to be promoted this season we’ve been too good not to be.

Bugsy

For our sake we desperately need to be promoted this season we’ve been too good not to be.

Barnsley are playing v.well, how do u rate C.Chaplin, thought he was a decent player tbh....PUSB

Users who are viewing this thread